Author Topic: Beautiful 50 or 59.94 fps Deinterlacing on a Mac  (Read 6065 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Beautiful 50 or 59.94 fps Deinterlacing on a Mac
« on: September 22, 2008, 05:40:41 pm »
Cross-posted from: http://diabolo.ca/deinterlacing-os-x/

----

I've spent the last 1.5 years searching for the perfect method of deinterlacing on a Mac. Up until now I've been taking things into a Windows virtual machine to use VirtualDub as in this excellent tutorial. If you use Windows, follow that tutorial carefully for the most amazing smooth and crisp deinterlaced video. If, however, you use OS X you can achieve the exact same effect with much less effort. The secret was not immediately obvious to me, nor did I discover it through countless hours of searching on the web. Behold the simple secret:

First, you'll need Jan Schotsman's JES Deinterlacer. Add your exported interlaced file. The meat of the solution is the options: "Deinterlace" and "Both fields" without doubling the video length:

That's it. Beautiful 50 or 59.94 frames per second deinterlaced video. You can experiment with the other options. In particular you may want to add a "Block Match Threshold" and try removing the "jaggies":

Hit the question mark in the application for more details and suggested values.

In the Output panel you can also choose to compress your video at the same time. Try the awesome H.264/MPEG-4 codec.

Give this a try. I think you'll be amazed at the quality.

What's that sound you ask? It's the sound of my Windows installation hitting the trash can. The last thread of Microsoft goodness I was hanging on to. What a relief.

(As an aside for the forum - if only I'd known this last year while doing the collab video. It would have been much simpler and the result would have been significantly better.)

Lily

Re: Beautiful 50 or 59.94 fps Deinterlacing on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:49:43 pm »
Thanks from the HelMUG(Hellenic Mac User group) jugglers. Ah it's only me who uses mac and juggling.
Nevermind, really grateful for this :)
Diabolo in Athens is like the sea turtles: you can't say they are extinct, as there are a few left..

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:32:41 pm »
There you go!  Just awesome. You got it here faster than i expected.
So going to try this out for some of my videos. :) Thank you.

You're the man.
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

The Void

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 12:28:01 am »
Sean: sorry! I've known about JES since the start of this year. I guess I should have mentioned it. One great thing about it is that if you're obsessive enough to store your original DV versions of your movies, you can go back and re-encode them to 50/59 fps.

Which is what I did this summer with all my old movies. :-)

I haven't experimented with the Block matching and jaggies yet though - just gone with the presets. Maybe next time......

The Void
Double plus good.
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 01:01:47 am »
Sean: sorry! I've known about JES since the start of this year. I guess I should have mentioned it. One great thing about it is that if you're obsessive enough to store your original DV versions of your movies, you can go back and re-encode them to 50/59 fps.

Which is what I did this summer with all my old movies. :-)

I haven't experimented with the Block matching and jaggies yet though - just gone with the presets. Maybe next time......

The Void
Double plus good.

NO NOT 1984 THAT BOOK SUCKS - for the longest time I thought it was like news speak not new speak lol

Anyways thanks for the info if I ever get a mac I'll also have the beautiful cameras I've always wanted
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 02:46:30 am »
...I've known about JES since the start of this year. I guess I should have mentioned it...
I've known of JES since I got a mac, but I never read the documentation in enough detail to put 2 and 2 together and realize you could get 50/59.94 fps output. I've been playing with some of the other options. The question mark help is quite useful. There's also JES Video Cleaner. Haven't tried it yet.

Looks like block matching of about 400 is a good idea for most video. "Local" and even "Filter chroma", although slower than regular "Remove jaggies", seem useful. Multi-pass H.264 encoding also helps quality.