Author Topic: Why I love the Diabolo  (Read 2596 times)

MacGonzo

Why I love the Diabolo
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:55:35 am »
Hi there,

I thought I'd introduce myself properly by way of a description of why the diabolo fascinates me so much.  I posted more info about myself here: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=8.972 if anyone is interested.

Other than the general coolness of the prop, I'm fascinated by the physical properties the diabolo has.  All the forces acting on it, how it maintains it's stability through spin and the sheer variety of tricks that can be performed.
Few things satisfy me more than listening to the hum of a diabolo spinning at high speed and I often do stick grinds just to listen to the sound.
I see the diabolo as a kind of metaphor for the mind, so long as you keep it moving in the right direction, avoiding getting tangled up, keep it balanced, believe in your own ability and keep practicing, then everything is possible.  It was World Philosophy Day yesterday - guess I have a little bit of a hangover hehe :P
When I practice with my diabolo, it truly is a Zen-like experience.  I become one with the diabolo, my body reacts without thought to the needs of the diabolo and I'm aware of what it's doing by feeling, not thinking.  It becomes an extension of my body, the sticks an extension of my arms and the string the focus for my awareness.  Maybe I should have titled this thread Zen and the art of Diaboloing hehe.
I spend a lot of time thinking about the interactions between stick, diabolo and string.  If the string gets tangled or looped when I practice I create a mental series of events that caused it and try to think about how to untangle things without stopping the prop.
I've only been practicing seriously for almost four months, I've had limited access to the net and literature to learn new tricks and when I started learning suicides I had to teach myself from clips that I'd seen on YouTube, trying to figure things out for myself in my head.  I managed to figure out a method of putting a loop on the diabolo first and then doing the suicide, but after buying a load of Donald Grants books I discovered that it wasn't necessary to put the loop on first.  I've not been as mentally stimulated by anything legal as the diabolo has ;)

Big thanks to Mr Grant, by the way, I have four of his books and love them :)  I also have a book by Todd Strong and am dying to try Diabolo Tennis.  Anyone in the Edinburgh area wanting to try when the weather improves - if it ever does here in Scotland - give me a shout.

My future plans are to just keep practicing, learning new tricks (and now getting down with the lingo on this forum hehe) and developing series of tricks that I can combine together fluidly.

Peace,

Stevo
'Genuine peace, genuine lasting world peace, can be achieved only through inner peace.' Dalai Lama

Hathaway

• Donator
Re: Why I love the Diabolo
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:43:56 pm »
I love the diabolo because its not only a prop... Its also a hat.
Alex abuses flys!

MacGonzo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:52:49 pm »
Thanks for the links Funty :) I'm going to the Tollcross State Circus (love the name) tomorrow night.
Only one problem with wearing a diabolo hat.  If it rains you'll have a spare drink of water.  Wait... that's a great plan! :D
'Genuine peace, genuine lasting world peace, can be achieved only through inner peace.' Dalai Lama

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:09:10 am »
I love the diabolo because its not only a prop... Its also a hat.

It can be many things if you use your imagination. Sometimes not safe for work. Just ask Circusboypaul about his facebook pictures ;)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Toby

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:27:54 am »
makes for a cracking ashtray...all my diabolos have ash marks in though now! It give's them character, cheeky little devils

fzzyrn

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:47:05 am »
diabolos are also high quality sound isolators against loud noises when pushed against soft surfaces

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:34:03 am »
i've considered using my athena to unclog a toilet, i mean they are crap  :-D
can't believe its not butter

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:34:39 am »
I like so many things about the diabolo but the list would be too huge. For one thing though, I like how the diabolo can emulate pretty much every other single jugglingprop in existance but it´s not the other way around:

Diabolotricks - well there are many exclusive for the diabolo

Sticktraps - Devilstick

Stickthrows and fingertwirls - clubs/batons

Cascades, columns, siteswaps, blabla - tossjuggling

Yoyotricks - Yoyo

3 handheld diabolos - cigarboxes

Contactjuggling - contact diabolo

Rings - ringdiabolo

^There´s more obviously but you see what I mean. Thanks to all the different parts it´s such a versatile prop (maybe THE most versatile even?).

Oh and ofcourse the hat-thing is pretty practical also. You´d just look silly with some other prop on your head...

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 04:20:35 pm »
Oh and ofcourse the hat-thing is pretty practical also. You´d just look silly with some other prop on your head...

^ Quote of the year please.

And yes I think diabolo is the most variable juggling prob their is.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 04:29:04 pm »
Contactjuggling - contact diabolo

4 diabolo pyramid palmspin - GO!

In the event that you fail at that, try doing a cube - greatest multiball trick, but only slightly ahead of the TIE fighter.