Author Topic: Diaboloing meets winter  (Read 7118 times)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Diaboloing meets winter
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:02:19 pm »
What do you guys and girls do when winter arrives, and its cold outside!

I kinda stopt diaboloing now beceause its just to cold outside.. And I am no longer outside the whole day, so I don't grab my diabolo's that quickly anymore..

And it kinda annoys me to because I gain skill every summer, this would be the 2nd summer this is going to happen that I don't diabolo in the winter. So i progress half the fast.. If I would contineu in the winter I would be able to do so many new things in the summer but yea.. I don't!

What do you guys do in winter concerning diaboloing?

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: Diaboloing meets winter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:55:36 pm »
lucky me, I live in san antonio texas so winter is like 40 degrees fahrenheit which is a little uncomfortable when windy but doesn't stop me from going outside to pratice

one thing you can do is maybe clear some area in your house and practices lower smaller tricks, that a more technical like fans, airwraps, slacks you know what I'm getting at ;)
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:19:26 pm »
lucky me, I live in san antonio texas so winter is like 40 degrees fahrenheit which is a little uncomfortable when windy but doesn't stop me from going outside to pratice

one thing you can do is maybe clear some area in your house and practices lower smaller tricks, that a more technical like fans, airwraps, slacks you know what I'm getting at ;)

Uhm.. I am not allowed to do that anymore because I broke a lamp on the sealing while doing a sun....

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:21:26 pm »
You see, I'm a man, and being a man I like to think I'm tough! So I just go outside :O. Yes thats right I brave the cold!

Or I wimp out and go diabolo in the hall at work :P.
Alex abuses flys!

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 04:16:49 pm »
I progress the most over the winter. Being inside and bored alot more often gives me the cance to work on my juggling more and focus my goals. For me the summer is a string of conventions where I can gather as much ideas as possible. I don't mind trashing my room through practicing.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:24:38 pm »
Alex your ceiling shows the marks of that too...

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 04:59:30 pm »
I continue to do stuff in my flat.  The 4.5m ceilings help quite a bit on that one.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 06:41:31 pm »
I pay money to have practice space. No way i would practice outside with all that snow we have around here. So join juggling club to get place to practice. If there's not juggling club already around, just make one. I had to do that earlier. Went to see the people who organize activities for young people and said what i'm going to do. After some paperwork i got 1,5 hour practice space for free and could continue juggling in the same space also even that the other groups had the space. All together 5 hours of practice in good space without paying anything of it.

Now i'm more lucky. Biggest youth circus with in 500m of my apartment. Pay 50euros (half a year) to practice there 5 day a week from 8-16. Okay school is at the same time but just prioritize.  Juggle when you can and skip classes as much as you can without getting in to troubles. Evening practice is always the best though....
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Olive

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 06:44:16 pm »
And it kinda annoys me to because I gain skill every summer, this would be the 2nd summer this is going to happen that I don't diabolo in the winter.

I'm with you on that, I learn loads over summer then put my diabolos down for a bit and I have to do loads of catching up when spring comes along. My snowboarding does quite well out of it though...  ;)

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 09:57:21 pm »
When i made a contract with a culture house that I'm working in, i made them include a line that whenever nothing is happening in their training/show -hall I'm allowed to train. So i have my own set of keys and can normally practise 5 days a week, few hours per day.  When i was in high school i made a similar contract, so i could stay after school and practise at gym. There are many possibilities. Just ask around.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 10:32:58 pm »
Come to Australia. It doesn't snow, and you'd all think it was hot.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

JimmyCords.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 12:36:29 am »
Yea, except in summer it gets too hot. I find I can only diabolo for about 20mins max in summer before you have to crawl inside and re-hydrate and cool down. Anyway, summer is just a time to sit inside all day and watch the cricket... Cant wait...

Diaboloing in snow... That would be cool...
Say Whaaaat?

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 11:57:39 am »
There was a guide on jongleringsoasen (unfortunately entirely in Swedish) entirely on the subject about how to find practicespaces. If I can find it on my computer I will translate and post it here.

Some tips are:

Find a schoolgym, talk to the gymcoach or something and see if you can get him to lend you a key. In return you could perform at the school or teach a little basic diabolo in some gymclass. Don´t talk to the administrative people because they suck and will only try to rent it to you for a big fee.

If you go to a school with an open gym try to finish lunch early and then go practice (usually nobody there during lunchhour).

Rent a tennis,squash or badmintoncourt. This is what I do, expensive but if you get a part-time job you can pay for it. Be prepared to get a lot of crap from other people playing tennis or badminton though.

Practice late at night if you can. It is often less windy in the middle of the night, just try to find a good lightsource like maybe an open footballfield with spotlights.

Join a dramagroup (maybe also a good way to work on stagepresence) and maybe use their spaces afterwards.

Pay for the things you break and maybe you would be allowed to practice inside again ;).

Diaboloing in snow... That would be cool...

I diaboloed outside on the winters some years ago. -15 celcius (and this in in the south) + strong wind, icy ground and finally heavy snowfall in your face is definitely not as fun as it sounds ;). I´d take 40 degree heat over that anyday.

JimmyCords.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 12:18:02 am »
I diaboloed outside on the winters some years ago. -15 celcius (and this in in the south) + strong wind, icy ground and finally heavy snowfall in your face is definitely not as fun as it sounds ;). I´d take 40 degree heat over that anyday.
Thats where Australian snow comes in handy  ;) - Warm enough to snowboard in a T-shirt.
Say Whaaaat?

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 12:59:51 am »
The heat is the worst. I have used to get like -10 to -35 Celsius here. No problem. But the +30 or more in EJC was just too much. I wouldn't change my snow for the heat.

How to get the gym is always the problem around here. Main solution is just to go around and ask. You would be surprised how easy it is to get a space where to practice. Diabolo88 summed up some good ideas. Go for it. Get the space. Don't let your lazy ass sit on sofa and wait the perfect gym to just drop from the sky. I taught diabolo 2 hours a week for free, one year just to have that 2 hours of practice/teaching. Later i created a juggling club from my students and got free space to practice a lot more.

It really isn't that hard. ;)  Wish you luck.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 03:34:50 pm »
Tried Marko's idea. One phone call = 3+ hours in the gym per week.  :)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 04:47:58 pm »
Now, there you go! Perfect, i'm so happy for you Jesse.
A perfect example, if we can do it everyone else can do it
as well. ;)

Bizzat1

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 07:14:54 am »

zzz beat me to it

jackwf

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 07:47:17 pm »
you could also try finding a circus workshop near wherever you live and just go to that. thats what I'm doing now its cold

n3mo

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:14 pm »
to tell you the truth, i learned 2 high indoors, its the only reason i learned control over it =P
- Princeton Juggling Club -