Author Topic: Is diaboling dangerous? (overuse injuries)  (Read 17470 times)

allsoppy5

Re: Is diaboling dangerous? (overuse injuries)
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 08:33:19 pm »
It generally fine except if you have wooden sticks you may get blisters (i have 4). An try not to let it hit your face either.  ;D

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 06:58:21 pm »
i found that for general suicide based tricks alu sticks in general hutrt too much. i got rid of them and now i have carbons, whic are lovley. as for diabolos, the material of a finnesse hurts less when it hits your face than a circus (both of which have happened today). repetative strain injury is apparantly common in people who regularly use henrys circus diabolos. its one of the sale fetures of the finnesse, apparantly it reduces the risc of rsi.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 08:57:09 pm »
My fingers hurts constantly from callouses and broken nails because of duicides. Pains inside the hands from holding the sticks. Usually shoulder- and neckpains because I´m better at three high than low at the moment. A broken nose and a scar in my eyebrow from the Diabolo hitting my face so yes, Diabolo is dangerous...but oh so worth it ;D

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 09:34:28 pm »

A broken nose and a scar in my eyebrow from the Diabolo hitting my face so yes,

what were you using? that’s got to have been a harlequin. Unless you've got some Mr Glass type thing going on,

This is all directed to any beginners on the forum

method of healing after an injury
I would add to what Sean posted  that stick Length is a factor, especially with bendy sticks, i.e. energy's, fibreglass.  More bend means more torque on the wrist. I had a scare about a year ago, after a 6 hour busking session using long fibreglass and a standard circus, I lost about 50% movement in my right wrist for a good few days, I used a piece of stretchy rubber attached to a chair given to me by a phsio friend [you pull it with your effected wrist in different ways thus safely stretching your tendons and muscles and improving strength and movement however you should only use once pain has ceased, until then rest and only gentle movement is the key].

Also switching my gear to allies and lighter circuses has helped, I assume the ultimate low risk combo would be a finesse and short carbons  

Changing your technique can help, mine has changed dramatically, I had the classic string cuts on both my arms and my style was allot more vigorous, now I'm hopefully  more flowy, changing to wrapped orbits to speed up your diabolo should reduce the chance of repetitive strain compared to whipping.  

warm up
This might sound abit over the top but If I know I'm gonna be diaboloing all day ill do some quick wrist exercises, I use ones designed for session drummers as they also hold sticks for long periods of time. Also a few quick shoulder exercises are good to, it will also improve your general flexibility and might help with your style and a relaxed stance

seán_

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 12:32:16 am »
Nice tips Mark, I'll add one tip Physiomonkey gave me. We arent built to do repetitive small motions so vary the way you do speedups to avoid over repetitive motions.

Also My back went west (several times) he theorised that the most usual way I dealt with picking up a dropped diabolo was (when doing 2) to keep one running holding the sticks in my left hand, bending over and across to the left to pick up the diabolo with my right hand. Doing this motion over several years could cause an imbalance in lower back muscles leading to back problems.

I vary the way I pick up diabolos now, and try and avoid that bending turning motion at all costs.

Dan

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 02:21:00 am »
I may be wondering offtopic a little here but i spent the last 2-3 years training hard with swimming, badminton (wierd i know but i am pretty darn good) and also played piano.  According to the doctor i have very strong wrists and arm muscles in general.  But because of training physically on the arms and not so much on my lower body i have something wrong with my shoulders and elbows.  Basically it means i cant put my arms straight - the tendons and muscles are tensed by nerves stuck in my elbows  :(.  Anyway i have had no problems with diabloing apart from occasional neck ache and the face injuries which come at some time for all of us.  Vertax has been a problem for me as it messes up my left shoulder quite bad.  I spent about half a day working on vertax and some new tricks ive been learning and that resulted in 2 weeks of pain when lifting my arm above 40 degrees from my legs.  Can anyone suggest an exercise or simple technique to stop this happening (im right handed so my less dominant arm is the problem)?

Would be much appreciated,

Dan

PS: Sorry if ive blabbered on a bit, its a school night, im bored and its 20 past 2 in the mornin.

scottp45

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 03:34:40 am »
yes diaboloing is dangerous. doing vertax (or at least attemting to do so) i have hit myself in the face at least 3 times. I got burns from doing over arm orbits/combos. ive got wood sticks and got blisters on my right thumb, forefinger, and middlefinger from whipping. ive also got shoulder strain from vertax. Its also dangerous to your furniture, cieling, and houseplants if you hit something while doing suicides or anything involving throwingt the diab.

ps:sean_, you have a back curve too? I didnt get mine from diaboloing though.

scott
The atomic weight of carbon is 6

now help the bunny rule
the world by putting it
in your signature           (\__/)
                                  (='.'=)                       
                                  (")_(")

one.man.band

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 03:46:59 pm »
I can see the idea behind hitting yourself with a high speed diabolo, because although friction burns don't seem like they will be painful, they often are after a while.

I've also noticed that many people contort their body when they diabolo so that unnecessary strains are put on themselves (be that neck, back or shoulders). I'd imagine loosening off, stretching and video-taping yourself to see if you are doing anything strange might help solve those problems.
Not sure how many times my diabolos have been in the pond

David - SAS1

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 04:21:47 pm »
Yeah that was funny, the only problem that i have had is that my shoulder muscles hurt quite a bit after learning vertax, but i think it is just because it feels unusual
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 04:58:18 pm »
hi scottp45

to answer you question regarding sean_ I carbon dated him when he fell asleep after a meal and his curved back is just the result of time reeking its terrible toll, so not to worry.

to Dan

It sounds like a proper warm up will help your problems as this allows your muscles to deal with the extra rotation and stress caused by vertax more easily [think of them as elastic bands you've got to get them stretchy first or they will snap or contract, also strengthening your lower back muscles as well as your abs helps with posture,

HTH

Mr. Diablo

Hand Pain?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2007, 08:40:32 pm »
Have any of you experienced hand pain while holding on to the sticks for a long time. Is there any way to help this like some sort of stretch or something to put on the sticks.

Thanks in advance

TomMiller

Re: Hand Pain?
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2007, 08:52:34 pm »
how old/new are the sticks, and what sticks are they
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 08:52:44 pm »
The best thing to do is rest when pain like that hits - if it's a muscle strain, stretching will likely aggravate it. Otherwise, don't diabolo for as long if you're going to be experiencing pain. If it's a blister pain, you'll just work up some callouses. Stretching a little beforehand is always a good idea that is not really used too much by us, but should be. If it's a cramp, stop diaboloing and rest.

For clarification on if you can put something on, what sticks are you using? This might also help us figure out what's causing your pain.

-Duncan

Mr. Diablo

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 09:03:39 pm »
They are just some cheap wooden sticks. Hope that helps.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 09:09:42 pm »
I'm still waiting for some explanation on what your hand pain is: can you describe it?

As for wooden stick, you can either get some silicone grips and stretch that over your sticks, or you could get a pair of aluminum or carbon sticks with a foam grip. And even after that you can mod up your aluminum or carbon sticks with something that might make it more comfy.

mellowscholar

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 09:13:09 pm »
Yeah I used to get sore hands with wooden sticks, the Henry's aluminium ones I've got now have lovely soft handles.

I've pulled a muscle in my right hand by chinese whipping this weekend.

Mr. Diablo

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 09:14:12 pm »
It's like cramp. You know when you are writing for a really long tome and your hand starts to hurt? Well, that is how it feels.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2007, 09:28:58 pm »
just a tip here, if your suffering from blisters, like i always do (Mark BMC should know) then i strongly advise using surgical spirit. after the BJC my hands were completely buggered, i had about 10 blisters and at bristol i had about 5 but now i have put surgical spirit on them for about two weeks, they are fine and if anything, too hard.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2007, 09:32:41 pm »
Cramps are a fairly typical pain. Drink more water, softly massage your hand when it cramps up, apply heat if it is a sustained pain.

Try changing up the way you grip the sticks as well. If you have a "locked" position with your hand, as if your were riding a bike and are gripping on tightly, open it up and try using just your fingers more like if you were using drumsticks. More importantly, take regular breaks.

Edit: finally got around to merging this topic up.

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 02:22:45 am »
When i was just starting, i had horrible form , and overdid it, so i ended up injuring my wrists in an odd way.
When i was diaboling a while back I heard i CRRRICK in my wrist and felt my wrist went out of line a bit.
It went back a few seconds later, and its happened in both wrists, but now sometime my wrist bones will go out of line when theyre at an odd angle, and that HURTS! >:(