Author Topic: Progressing  (Read 1932 times)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Progressing
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:08:32 pm »
Today I went out with a friend to film myself for my 2nd diabolo movie.
But what I noticed is that I'm not really happy with the way I diabolo.

Why? Because.. I only want to progress! In a way of learning new tricks! For example.. I see a view tricks like sprinkler, fan, continuous genocide's. And All I do when I go out and diabolo is trying to learn those tricks! And when I can do it I sometimes repeat it but then I got other tricks I see and I go focus myself on those!

So whats going wrong with my way of diaboloing? I only want to learn learn and learn al the new cool looking tricks, and I don't focus anymore on my old tricks.

So when I went filming today all I could do was like hmm a whip duicide and cut or speed up for another trick. Do a finger grind and cut! Mini genocide cut!

Hey.. I can't link tricks together! Now what I am trying to say is.. When you do the same as me stop trying to focus on new tricks for a while! And focus on your hold ones! And then I don't mean keep practicing the tricks you can already do but try to link them together!

Focus on creating combo's! I know most of you already do that but some don't and I'm saying this to the people that don't do it.. Because It really feels stupid when you see other videos and people can do long sequences of basic tricks and you just can't..

Take a look at Martijn his blogs and link it to this one.

Alright thats all I had to say =)

ps: If anyone has a good idea for a title please say so

Peace,

-Ramon

JJesse

Re: Progressing
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:18:42 am »
The worst mistake I have ever done in diaboloing: I never have rehearsed my tricks. Quite difficult to figure out any combos by using two of the "coolest" tricks I have always done and only remember anymore. Make a list of all the tricks you learn, and be sure to go through it occasionally.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:07:02 am »
I guess this is relevant to progression. Since I might not make any for a while. :(
In the Off-Topic thread:
Broke an elbow and wrist on the right arm. No diab for me :(
EDIT: Turned out I'm getting muscle deterioration (spl?) as a result of bone/muscle scramble and might not be able to use my gross motor skills very well. For possibly a long time..  :'(
Wish me luck guys..
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »
I see a view tricks like sprinkler, fan, continuous genocide's. And All I do when I go out and diabolo is trying to learn those tricks!

Focus on creating combo's! I know most of you already do that but some don't and I'm saying this to the people that don't do it.. Because It really feels stupid when you see other videos and people can do long sequences of basic tricks and you just can't..
I completely disagree.
If you are at a stage in diaboling where you are learning and going through well known tricks, such as sprinklers, genocides and fans as you mentioned, it is not particularly worth creating combo's, unless your creating a performance (which personally I think would be too early to do so). Linking tricks together is still progress, but a form of progress that requires a strong base knowledge to be done successfully. It'd be better to wait until you have a large tricklist and understanding of diabolo and having covered all of the 'standard' (well known) tricks before you start exploring how they can be stylishly linked together.
I'm not trying to discourage people from being creative and trying to connect tricks together as I see that as an essential part of diabolo, but you always learn the scales before you compose your own symphony. (Pretentious? :P)
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Darragh

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:40:02 am »
So you want your diabolo skill to progress ,thats natural.
Why do you want to improve your diabolo skills, thats what you need to ask yourself.
What is your motaviation or inspiration. is it to make a better video to prove how good you are to yourself and/or your peers.

Try and have fun ,don't worry it wont have a negative effect on your technical skills.I stopped having fun with my diabolos for a few months and i did not learn a thing.

Learn a few very basic trick combos, and then apply your new or favourite tricks as a different beginning middle or end.

Just relax and enjoy your time playing diabolo, have fun and express yourself.
Don't be a robot
From lost to the river