Author Topic: Any dutchers going to the BJC?  (Read 5037 times)

mike.

• VotW Contributor
Re: Any dutchers going to the BJC?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 01:27:54 am »
i can see where his dad his coming from and your side is also easy to see what is happening.

but i agree with looby, you cant be mad at your dad because he wants to protect you.
can't believe its not butter

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 10:48:33 am »
Maybe your father would like to come with?  Make a holiday out of it.  OK, perhaps Norwich isn't the best place in the world to take  vacation, but it's still somewhere new.  If this is your first solo outing abroad, it would be a different matter as I would be apprehensive about my own son (not that I have one, hypothetically).

Arguing won't work, the more effective way is reasoning.  Invite him along, shows you don't plan on doing anything "crazy" or illicit.  Or maybe let him meet the group of people you'll be travelling with, pretend Barnesy is you dad.  It's a tough break, no doubt about it, but I'm sure your father really does mean the best.  Good luck!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:43 pm »
I can understand that your parents don't like the idea of you going abroad on your own (or with people you hardly know for that matter). When I started going to juggling conventions, my parents were the same, and they liked bringing me there, just to see I was safe. Probably had something to do with my age (I was 14) and the fact that I'm a girl and parents are generally being more protective over daughters than sons.

Even though I don't agree (come on, you're 19!), I get their point. And I also think it would be nice for you yourself, that you know at least a couple of people at the convention. I know that most jugglers are friendly and welcoming to newcomers, but still, it's nice to have a friend present.

As they've never been to a juggling convention before, they won't understand how wonderful and friendly it usually is. They won't understand until they've been to one, and as that may never happen, you need to convince them in another way. If I were you,  I'd say nothing about it for a while, and bring it up carefully next week or so. Perhaps you can arrange something to let them meet some people who are going (as was suggested by Chiok already). Getting mad or yelling won't help. They need to know it's safe to let you go.

Unfortunately, I believe that there isn't much you can do if that doesn't work. You'll have to accept it, and maybe take them with you to a Dutch convention first. Perhaps then they'll let you go abroad in the future.

About the whole 'London isn't safe' thing: I think you'd be safer in London than at Curacao! I've been to both of the places. In London you can be sensible and stay in the good areas. At Curacao, you don't want to be anywhere alone when it's dark, except your hotel. (Of course, if you're sensible there, it's a great island to go to, very beautiful, so don't let this put you off.)