Author Topic: String Length  (Read 12393 times)

ne00xide

String Length
« on: April 21, 2005, 12:47:11 pm »
I've been looking around and have seen many of the stickies saying which sticks are good, what kind of string to use, and which diabolos spin the fastest and are most stable. I've yet to find one on how long your string could or should be. I agree it's all preforance but how does the length of the string affect the user and the users skills?

- Frank -

viiru

String Length
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 01:42:37 pm »
I guess the most common stringlenght is from your chest level to ground.
A bit shorter is better for for example learning 2 diabolos and 3 siteswaps but you should lenghten the string by the time.

There isn't a general rule about how long the string should be, but from chest to ground makes triple sprinklers etc possible but isn't too long to make controlling and correcting diabs harder.

Trying out different lenghts is a best way to find out which suits you most.
It's just a world spinning around your diabolo

Chiok

• Donator
String Length
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:44:19 pm »
If you do a search through the archives of the immense diabolo.ca forum, you may come up with thishttp://www.diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=289&highlight=string+length

As most moderators will say, use the search function first, and see what you get, if you can't find anything, then it's always worth a topic.  most people will say have it to shoulder height or so, depending on what you want to do, 1D, 2D, 3D high etc.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

String Length
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:52:35 pm »
Might as well try and gather some of the string thoughts allready covered in other threads.
String length has come up several times, But this is what I seem to remember. I'll have a pop at answering your question and some other ones as well.

Common String lengths.

1D
Usual lengths that people advise begginers to diabolo.
Base of neck to chin hight. this is a usable length,

String length then starts to become personal.Sometimes certain tricks will dictate string length. E.g. Around both arms, monorails, Other times different lengths will be linked to the style of the diaboloist, A shorter string leads to tighter whipier motions, longer string leads  to a slower loopier motion.

2low, (By now you  will have a prefered string length of your own)
Generally shorter, Several people found that shortening from the length they usually used for 1 helped them learn 2. I think because it doesn't feel so loose so driving is more positive. Quite a few people that I know who do two say nipple height is a good height not many seem to use higher than shoulder height.

Caveat. some people have very short strings. JGherkin for one, His specialitie are fans.otheres have a very long string, Tahia for example, He does monorail moves with 2d that most people would find impossible on a shorter string. Also  tricks such as multiple sprinklers are helped by having enough string.

2high
The same length as you are using for 2low. However when learning people have suggested that a shortened string (as short as waist high and thats very short) will allow you  to get the motion required for two high, but that you then should be fine with your normal string length.

3low
by now you have a definate idea about string length. but those learning three generally have a longer string than usual. I believe Sean mentioned Shoulder hight.

Once you have  three  I believe people might start to shorten the string or find that they are happy with this length for 3, 2 and 1..

Caveat. Tahia again has longer than normal string length he seems happy enough with it. Guy Heathcote (inventor of three low (1993?)) has very short string for two, he has a very fast synch pattern.

Can you use the same length string   for 1,2,3 or more?
Yes, most people do. However when learning a new discipline a lengthening or shortening of string might be in order. Some people will have several sticks with different length strings. If you are having trouble with a particular trick often having a go with a different length is enough for you to get it.

More thoughts
When I lenthen or shorten my string I tend to do  in stages. A big jump can be noticble but you tend to get used to a new string length fairly quickly anyhow.

It is pretty much a personal thing and not one that its too hard to find out through diaboloing.

Thats it in a nutshell. have another search on string  lengths if you want to read more about it.

Martijn

String Length
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 02:07:54 pm »
That's some nice information there! Great job (moderator seán_ again :wink: )
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

ne00xide

String Length
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 03:35:30 pm »
Yes, I appriciate it very much. I asked because when trying to go around both arms I seem to not have enough string. I'll probably go neck to chin
height and see if I can get used to a longer string. I prefer long orbits to short whips anyway. :)

Thanks

kragen

String Length
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 12:22:16 pm »
yesterday I was replacing the string on my two sets of handsticks and ended up making a mistake, the string had broke at the end of the handstick, but I thought broke at the knot, I copied the broken string length and made the string a full handstick length too short!

Once I realised my mistake I decided id have a quick play around, just for a laugh - but it actualy turned out to make a lot of tricks a lot easier - genocides were now a piece of cake, I managed 2 double duocides straight off, a trick I had been working on a short while ago but had given up on. I was fairly surprised at the noticable difference.

I now have my super short string, and my normal length string on another pair of handsticks - think im gonna keep it that way, as so many complex tricks are so much easier, I figured it might be a good way to learn whats going on and then get good enough to do them properly on sensibly lengthed string.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

ne00xide

String Length
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 02:27:59 pm »
Does string length have anything to do with the diabolo getting wrapped up in the string? Or is it the string type that determines that? When I'm doing the shuffle and I try to wrap the right side to get it going a little faster and throw it back in, it wraps up almost every time.

Tom Derrick

String Length
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 04:02:41 pm »
Is it better to have a longer string if you're taller and have got longer arms?

viiru

String Length
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 04:08:31 pm »
Quote from: ne00xide
Does string length have anything to do with the diabolo getting wrapped up in the string? Or is it the string type that determines that? When I'm doing the shuffle and I try to wrap the right side to get it going a little faster and throw it back in, it wraps up almost every time.

String lenght has really little to do with this.
It's mostly about string type and technique. For example I can't do proper whipping and wrap acceleration with cheap strings. Henry's yellow or babaches better string solves this problem. Also you should study the position of the string in wraps. It's quite logical when the strings "hangs up" (dunno the proper term for that).

About using different stringlenghts. I wouldn't recommend that because when you are performing, it looks silly if you change your string for different tricks and amounts of diabolos.

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
String Length
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 06:51:39 pm »
In my opinion the best string length  for 1-3 diabolos is little lower than my shoulder length (5-10cm less) it means that I use about 155cm string.

For me 3d low is easier with shorter string, but with this string it´s hard or extremely difficult to do triplesprinkler (2d of course) nowadays I use finesses (G1) , last time I did triplesprinkler about 4 months ago (I learned it over a year ago) :) with finesses after that I´ve done just double if I´ve done any multipler sprinklers... It´s much easier with heavier diabolos, and in my opinion 3d sun migth be easier with heavier than ligther diabs-- But they´r tiring your arms fast, and it´s harder to do wrap start. (I´ve tried with my arlequinos) Sorry, a bit out off-topic.

So if you do only 1-2d I recommend about 160cm string (or just to your shoulder). :D

ne00xide

String Length
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 01:06:40 am »
Yea, I see how it can be "logical". I realized I was using pretty cheap string that came with the harlequin diabolo I bought. So I put a new, MUCH cleaner and slipperier string on and it works great now. Biggest problem is when I attempt an arm stall with two diabolos I don't have enough string to have each hang and keep spinning, it's about nipple height on me, I'll use about shoulder length from now on. I like my string longer for some reason.

kragen

String Length
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 02:34:10 am »
Is it better to have a longer string if you're taller and have got longer arms?

Probably in general yes, but really it is all down to personal taste - shorter string means its easier to keep everything in line and together, you have more control, making tricks like duocides and genocies easier, wheras longer strings makes other tricks easier, for example around both arms etc...

Having said that - if your used to doing around the arm with a short string, having a long string wont make it easier, it will still make it harder because your simply not used to it. It really is down to personal preference - find a length of string you like by experimenting.

I dont perform that much (if at all), my short strings really are just an experiment, I still stick mainly with my long strung handsticks.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

ne00xide

String Length
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 02:42:37 am »
Ah, I am a bit taller than average. Regular overarms is still hard for me seeing I am new to this.

viiru

String Length
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 04:33:18 am »
the height of the person is not a subject.

Please be aware that when you measure your (eg. from collarbone to ground) string, it gets as long as you are tall...

If you can't do over 2 arms, it's about technique, not about string lenght.

And for the technique problems, there are plenty of threads to help you with those :)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
String Length
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 12:32:15 pm »
yeh, as people have said, its all preference.

I am quite short but i use a very long string, a lot of people that use it just cant handle it, but i love it, its fine for suns columns suicides and sprinkler with 2 and fine for anything with 1 (full geno's are a little slower than normal, but i never do them anyway)

as for measuring it, i just measure the length my cutting it the same length as the string i am taking off, so it always pretty much the same.

Hope that helps (although somewhat unlikely)
so basically just choose a length and get used to it.

String Length (Was: Advice from the more experienced please)
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 08:45:25 pm »
i bought a book about a week ago (mister babache the diabolo from A to Z) and i was browsing through it the otherday, and it said to get the 'correct' string length you put one stick on the floor and te other should be at shoulder height.
any way my string snapped yesterday (over-worked!) and i put my new string on today. I personally found this length too long to do alot of tricks (suicides are nearly impossible)

Should i lenghten my string and just get on with it or should i keep it shorter (its about 10inches smaller at what i think of as the right height)

Ooh and also, will having a shorter string effect me being able to do certain tricks?
Slimy SalamanderS Sip Steaming SoupS Slyly

Will^

String Length
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 08:50:43 pm »
You should just go with what feels right for you. Having a shorter string wont cause you any trouble unless it is really really small, so you should be fine.

String Length
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2005, 09:05:12 pm »
Cool, i was kinda hoping that was the case!
Slimy SalamanderS Sip Steaming SoupS Slyly

Matt_

• Donator
String Length
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 11:23:09 pm »
you have to experiment with what you like and what feels right. eventually i discovered that i like string length that is just a tiny bit longer than floor to nipple. babache recommends insanely long string, i was looking at their little manual that came with my Xtreme...i cant even control the diabolo when its that long! it's just a ploy for you to buy more string and xtreme stick tips from them  :roll: