Author Topic: Yo-yo tricks for the diabolo  (Read 11491 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Yo-yo tricks for the diabolo
« on: April 25, 2005, 03:42:46 pm »
Based on the great yo-yo trick adaptation of the Gyroflop to the diabolo by Tom in a video of the week and the interesting discussion that followed, I got thinking that there must some other great yo-yo tricks that could be adapted to the diabolo that haven't been discovered yet.

The Void suggested the trick "Mach 5" (video) in this thread.

There must be lots of other possibilties too.

If anyone works out something nice and wants to share, these could make great video of the week material. *hint hint* ;)  

(Videos or links can be sent to: diabolo.ca "at" gmail "dot" com )

seán_

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 03:59:31 pm »
Quote from: The Void

The basic idea is that the yo-yo/diabolo stays still in the middle of a string cradle of some sort, whilst the cradle rotates around it. Looks best when the rotation is done slowly.

The Void
Ida Loopino, where are you?

yeah notch that up to Pontefracts own Ginger Tom and Spink, they can fight over it themselves :). I dont do anything slowly (diabolo wise) but they have some control over the move.

Any more potential tricks Void?

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 06:29:53 pm »
Theres the Staircase yo-yo trick I did in the BJC vid I posted and I've been challenged to do the Submarine...need to work on my forward roll first  :P

GbH

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:32:40 pm »
Well, there's already a great deal of crossover between the two disciplines, both in technique, concepts and trick names.  For instance, suicides, grinds, cradles and whips are already common currency, even if the technical specifics vary.  It certainly seems that the influences extend both ways - while yo-yo players adapted 2-diabolo technique to create Soloham, diabolists, in turn, borrowed the concept of Slack tricks.  It does seem that a lot of this cross-fertilisation is initiated in Japan, where it appears that the two scenes are more intertwined than here in the West.  

Anyway, here's a few yo-yo tricks that are worth exploring.  I think many (if not all) have been done with diabolos but at some point, but I doubt any have been explored to their full potential.

STAIRCASE - OK, we've been on at John to try this for some while now.  If you've seen the BJC video, you'll know he eventually got it (that was the first time...).  However, the AA players can do this on both sides, sometimes sequentially.  There's also a reverse direction variation too.  Oh, and one where you twist over onto your back.

SUBMARINE - This is another one we've been trying to get John to do, but , as yet, it hasn't looked like happening.  He claims that his legs are too short...

NIP-UPS (might have got the name wrong) - Another possible fan variation, if you can bounce from your back to your feet...

EARTHQUAKE - One for excaliber fans, perhaps?  Just bounce on your arse, letting the diabolo pass underneath.  Even rope spinners (well, some of them) do this one.

BOINGY BOINGY - This makes a great string-loop trick in both its horizontal and vertical forms.  However, at BJC, Jan was doing the same thing with regular sticks.

SEASICK - Another one that works great in a string loop.  I don't think I've seen it with sticks, though, but can't see why it wouldn't work.  Unfortunately, it can be a nightmare to learn - I've still not sorted the yo-yo version out.

SOLOHAM - OK, Soloham is basic 2-diabolo technique, but done with yo-yos.  However, I've seen videos that suggest this yo-yo style is being taken in interesting directions.  Something to watch...

FOOT SKILLS - A recent Japanese yo-yo video shows someone looping 4 yo-yos at the same time, one in each hand and one on each foot!  Perhaps someone could try attaching a string from foot to food, then running a diabolo (or two, or, erm...) on it?

MAGIC DROP - I can do a something a bit like this with a diabolo, but haven't really thought about how it might be turned into a worthwhile trick.  However, I feel sure someone, somewhere, has.

WHIRLY SLACK STUFF - At BJC, Jan showed me a string-loop technique thats good for the various whirling slack tricks that A players love to do.  I was impressed - Jan makes it look great.

MOUSTACHE WHIP - For a reason I can't quite put my finger on, this doesn't seem to have caught on in the yo-yo community, even though it works a treat.  At BJC, I sort-of learned to do it with a diabolo.  You have been warned!

In addition, I guess that there are a whole lot of yo-yo tricks that sort-of translate to the diabolo, but just don't look so good.  Just before writing this, I tried variants on Skin-The-Gerbil, Buddha's Revenge and yes, even Mach 5.  They all sort-of worked, but I think that they're best left for my yo-yo (until someone proves the opposite...).

Finally, if, for some weird reason, you're not familiar with this yo-yo stuff, then I have a solution.  A little while back, I put a page on my website specifically aimed at helping people get started with some of the background and terminology associated with yo-yos.  Perhaps you'll find it of interest?

Guy
http://www.guyheathcote.com

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:02:56 pm »
I did an invert eiffel tower the other day in homage to Bath Area Rag's Paris Hitch.
It involves getting up to speed, pinching the right hand string bout half way down, swinging the right handstick anticlockwise looking down, around the left string and the piece you're holding onto.  Then recapture the stick with both in the left hand.  Bit of tugging and slacking with the string should result in an upside down Eiffel Tower, or the Yo.
Can't make a movie of it unfortunately, but it's a very small trick, maybe someone else could fit it in at the end of one.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

darren2dream

Freehand Yo-yo....
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 02:51:52 am »
This weekend I went to see a little show called the “Monsters of Yo-yo” here in San Francisco. I was completely floored by what they call Freehand Yo-yo (having the string attached to a little weight instead of your finger). Real impressive tricks… They were also doing Yo-yo tricks off the string completly.. Left me with a new respect for the Yo-yo to say the least.

There is a much larger Yo-yo community in this city than there are Diaboloists (sadly for me).

Tom Derrick

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 06:58:18 pm »
I've been trying mach 5 today, and my end result can be found here: http://www.jugglethis.net/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=110

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 08:36:20 pm »
well that looks fine, nice one Tom, keep it up.

seán_

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:08:40 pm »
double or nothing is a nice crossover trick  when your playing around with stopovers with 1d.

go for a stopover but bring the handsticks together, allow the diabolo to pass over both handsticks swing underneath and finally end up in a stopover. to exit just pop it back all around to open string again or partially around to a stopover. (or combination off simmilar)

Oldschool

Spink

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 12:55:51 pm »
My new favourite is double or nothing to anticlock (thanks Priam) to windscreen wiper.

i can actually see the cheese ouzing from my pours :lol:
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 11:39:44 am »
A lot of yoyo tricks can be done by using a loop diabolo string... but i'm not that good at it.Double or nothing at the most for me.
Behind your back is your front.

Sambo

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 03:24:45 pm »
I've tried using the loop like a Yoyo, can get a few tricks from it since I used to Yoyo years back. Oh that brings back some memories...

mostly quite crap ones. I shelled out £25 for a Turbo Bumblebee with the cork brakes. Seemed a huge waste of money at the time. Wish I knew where the bloody thing got to...

Arron S

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 07:03:11 pm »
Yeah as Guy said lots of the cross over seems to come from Japan (as far as I can tell). This is beacuse it seems the two sceens are very close (if not the same).

A place to watch for this kind of trading is http://www.yo-yo.org/yama@18/I really advise getting 'How to be an OS (OffString) player' video as it shows some yoyo/diabolo cross over at its best.

I remember doing  Kwijibo on a diabolo years ago (not the nicest looking trick I'll admit).

For some basic yoyo string tricks that have potential for cross over look at http://sector_y.yoyoing.com/Tricks/String_Tricks/index.htm. Remember these are the basic yoyo tricks, there are of course lots more!

Arron

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 03:23:10 am »
I was going to start a thread on this since cross-prop fertilization is one of my favorite themes. Luckily I used the search first! :)

Now that I'm getting back into diabolo (in large part due to this site.. thanks for this great resource!), I'm going to see if I can't work on transfering some things over (especially since I want to start working more on offstring yo-yoing also).

First, I do want to second the How to OS video that Aaron mentioned. Lots of interesting stuff in there:
http://video.yoyoing.com:8080/yoyo/yama@18/OSHOWTO.mpg

Here's a couple of specific things that seem like they'd apply directly to diabolo and are probably worth trying:

Kenji Eto has some interesting whips that he does that I haven't seen many others do in either yo-yoing or diabolo (though I may have just missed it in diabolo). Check out his freestyle here:
http://yoyomovie.dip.jp/2005EJ/2005EJ-4a1-etolu.mpg
or
http://video.yoyoing.com:8080/yoyo/yama@18/2005EJ4AETO.wmv

I believe what he's doing is an overhand whip which misses just to the side of the yo-yo and then as he slows down, the yo-yo falls into it from the top. It looks kind of magical...

There's also a sequence where he some moves to the underside of the string and such but kind of flings the string under the yo-yo in a slack way instead of how it'd normally be taut which looks pretty cool.

Lastly, look at where he has the string draped over his shoulder. He does a windup from there which obviously isn't possible on normal diabolo, but you might be able to have the diabolo pull the stick of the shoulder into a a wraped catch of some kind.

For Eiji Okuyama:
http://yoyomovie.dip.jp/2005JN/2005JN-4a2-eiji.mpg

That slack thing he does about 5 seconds in seems like it should be possible, since it looks like just a wrap and then sticking into the loop that opens up. Maybe I'm missing something, though... Also, when he has that loop of string resting on his shoulder and lets the yo-yo fall into it, that should be perfectly possible with a diabolo and is pretty different visually from a whip.  Also he does some of the single string draped over the shoulder that I mentioned with Eto.  Also, I wonder how many do arm rolls with diabolos? I'm sure someone must have done it and I just haven't seen it..

Lastly this video from Kazuaki Sugimura:
http://yoyomovie.dip.jp/2005JN/2005JN-4a1-kazuaki_sugimura.mpg

What about that move where he circles the yo-yo around the string around 0:50 in? Also, has anyone else done an elbow grind? I love that.. :)  The back of the hand grind while whipping is also a nice little flourish. Not sure how easy or hard it is on a diabolo.

Anyway.. just some thoughts..
Shawn (the third Shawn here..haha)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 12:03:41 pm »
Thanks for all that. I've been playing with yo-yo inspsired stuff since Arron showed my the footage of the worlds. Well worth a play, there is some great stuff there.

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 10:34:50 pm »
Here's something which is totally possible and VERY cool, though I can't actually do it yet..haha. Maybe someone has done this before, but I haven't seen it. I see a trick called "helicopter" in trick of the week, but this is a bit different.

The "helicopter" In 5a/freehand style of yo-yoing (holding a counterweight instead of tied to your finger) is named after the horizontal and vertical blades of a helicopter which pass through each other like gears. The die swings around horizontally, while you do swing the yo-yo around in somersaults, so that they pass through each other.

To see an advanced version of it, check out this video (after the words "create, modify, evolve"). This depicts turning in a circle while you do it, but you should hopefully be able to see what's going on (it is easier with the die on top, before he turns):
http://www.theglasslab.com/bigvids/brazil/red_Communication.mpg

What this means for diabolo is that you grab the string near to the stick with your dominant hand. Now you swing that around (so that it is coming toward you when on the weak hand side and away from you on the dominant side). Also turn your body toward the weak hand. At the same time, you do a sun between your arms (same direction as if you were doing a stopover on the weak side) so that the stick and diabolo cross with each other.

I think this would be easier with a lighter diabolo and somewhat short string. I'm going to try it with my beach once I get home. I can do the individual parts of it, but having trouble getting the diabolo to come around fast enough due to the weight. I'll see how that goes..

Cheers!
Shawn

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 11:58:21 pm »
Well that was Brilliant, thank you very much, i thouroughly enjoyed that vid.

peeps123

Re: Yo-yo tricks for the diabolo
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 12:52:03 am »
i managed most of quigibo (think thats how its spelt) with a loop and it did kinda work =D

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 11:07:05 am »
There's workshop on this matter at NJC2011 9. -12.6.2011 in Helsinki.

I bet you could learn some of the stuff there. www.nordicjuggling.com
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:28:46 am »
Kwijibo is totally a great trick. I have a diabolo version of it that starts from the right hand trapeze and ends up in left hand trapeze, motion is the same as in kwijibo. I would love to see your version of it, I'm sure it's a little different from mine.

Actually I had totally missed everything that Shawn wrote here in -05. Should give it a read through, I thought I was the first to do Shutter Copter on diabolo. Apparently Shawn had done it already in -05. It's not totally same trick but essentially Shutter Copter is extension from the copter. Please do come to Nordic if you have time. I have good yo-yo tricks on diabolo planned teach to people.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»