Author Topic: another guy heathcote  (Read 3611 times)

ecuador16

another guy heathcote
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:12:31 am »
i was watching tv today and i saw this report on this moustache and beard competition and i decided it would be cool if i could do it. So i looked up their website and i found the past winners and ohh surprise there is an english guy who happens to have the name Guy Heathcote is it the same Guy Heathcote that pioneered 3 diabolos low can someone tell me
here is the link
http://www.handlebarclub.co.uk/wbmcwinners.shtml

Tom Derrick

Re: another guy heathcote
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:30:47 am »
That is our very own Guy.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:56:26 am »
Amusingly, it gets discussed a bit here with Guy. Guy discusses it in his interview with Chiok too. Multitalented guy!

ecuador16

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:48 am »
awesome i want a handlebar like his but more like a dali

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:13:48 pm »
If im not mistaken, he just got back from the European championships aswell.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:56:25 pm »
Yeah, some awesome pictures on his facebook of the European championships.
Behind your back is your front.

GbH

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:24:26 pm »
Hello all.  Yes, there's only one Guy Heathcote.  Well, actually, I do know of another one, but he's not got a moustache at all, let alone a handlebar.  We both have identical suits, though, but that's another story entirely...

awesome i want a handlebar like his but more like a dali

Well, if you wait long enough, it will come*.  Making it more like a Dali (or English, or any other style...) is mostly just a case of applying the wax differently, at least to start off with.  Go for it!

Guy

* well, unless you're a girl.

Olive

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:24 pm »
Well darn, that's me out then.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:39:05 pm »
bearded poi lady?

ecuador16

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:33:35 am »
that lady is just weird
and to guy yes i have begun the process of a handlebar but i have a question
how long do you think it takes to get anywhere near a recognizable handlebar
and how do you go about getting the shape do you just let it grow or do you trim certain parts?
any help appreciated
haha first time ever on diabolo.ca that anyone has asked for help with something other than diabolo to one of the widely known diabolers out there

GbH

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06:42 pm »
how long do you think it takes to get anywhere near a recognizable handlebar
and how do you go about getting the shape do you just let it grow or do you trim certain parts?
any help appreciated

You get the handlebar shape by letting ALL the hairs on your upper lip grow long, using wax to 'train' them to sweep to the sides (rather than into your mouth).  When the shape is well established you might need to trim the tips occasionally, but other than that, don't trim.  Some people try to hide the initial 'messy' stages by growing a temporary beard too, which helps distract attention away from the partial handlebar - not a bad idea and something I did myself pretty much by accident.  For much more information, including where to get wax, have a look at The Handlebar Club's website - http://www.handlebarclub.co.uk/index.php.

As to how long it takes, well, that's different for each person.  Mine took several years to properly mature, as my hairs grow very slowly.  Others can achieve good results in a matter of weeks/months.

Guy

ecuador16

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:15:55 pm »
thanks guy ive looked everywhere and most places that try to give advice just end with i really dont remember how i did it because it was such a long time ago
but i shall follow your advice

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 05:19:37 pm »
bearded poi lady?
This is highly disturbing... Now, I don't know if I can just go on with my life the same way I used to.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 05:25:55 pm »
How do you go about judging a contest like this? Is it just thickness of the beard or something else? And what´s up with the clothes? Do they also count into the score or is it just gimmick?

The sideburn and full beard freestyle were the coolest. Can´t imagine how many years it would take to grow something like that (Although the hair on my head grows fast I shave once a month and even then it´s hardly needed :P).

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 05:30:15 pm »
bearded poi lady?
Poi's never before been so manly
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

GbH

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:54 pm »
How do you go about judging a contest like this? Is it just thickness of the beard or something else? And what´s up with the clothes? Do they also count into the score or is it just gimmick?

The sideburn and full beard freestyle were the coolest. Can´t imagine how many years it would take to grow something like that (Although the hair on my head grows fast I shave once a month and even then it´s hardly needed :P).

To be honest, I don't really know how the judging actually works.  None of the UK entrants seem to take it too seriously.  It's more a social event, a fun thing to be a part of.  I suspect that members of the German beard clubs have a much better idea about it all, though.  They seem really into it and are the ones that seem to administer much of it. 

The clothes tend to help put the entries into some sort of context, but I don't think it's essential to have the absolute best costume in order to win.  I suspect it's just part of the culture of it all, something that people do because most others are also doing it too.

The partial and full beard freestyle categories tend to be the most creative, although most, if not all, entries in these categories only style their hair like that for competitions.  On any other day, they just look like ZZ Top members.  The really dedicated ones are those with the huge curled sideburns, which can't really be hidden into any regular sort of style at all.  As to how long it all takes, that's different for every individual.