Author Topic: Blog Post Jesse #1 | Quality vs. Quantity  (Read 8308 times)

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
Blog Post Jesse #1 | Quality vs. Quantity
« on: November 22, 2008, 10:56:11 pm »
My turn.  ;) Big thanks to Sean for editing!

http://diabolo.ca/quality-vs-quantity/

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Blog Post Jesse #1 | Quality vs. Quantity
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:25:51 am »
That's brilliant. I love the ending quote.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:58:45 am »
very well thought out, i agree with it completely.  i always make sure i spend enough time on each trick i learn to make it clean, i am glad i am not the only one.
can't believe its not butter

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:37:58 am »
Great article!
Hope you'll join Martijn with some more articles of your own, they are nice aswell   :-*
About the content, I couldn't agree more

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:22:49 am »
Not much you can do except agreeing with every word. Currently I keep learning new tricks at an extreme rate but don´t have as much time focusing on style so when that learningcurve stops I will focus on making them nice as well.

Winter is coming, that´s a great time for polishing style when it´s harder to learn new stuff.

Great article indeed.

flep

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »
Great post :D
hell yeah!

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »
I Love you!

That blog is so true! Well done sir ;)
I think about things like that verry often. I'm the kind of person that keeps learning new tricks all the time, but only not on diabolo88's rate hehe.

But yea I should also work on old tricks and polish it to make those look cool. I mean for example. I can do a long slowcide but I often catch the string. That could be perfected to catch the stick perfect every time.

But it is really tempting to keep on learning new tricks. It is so hard for me to quit thinking about learning new tricks!

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 12:52:43 pm »
Couldn't agree more. Love to read the blog posts. For me this is a sign of progress for the whole community. Keep it up!
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

GuiZ

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 02:06:13 pm »
GREAT!
Exactly what i think...
here in Brazil, there are maany people which learn a trick, and after that, he/she 's already trying another trick..well, ok...but when they record a video, for example, you see in EVERY trick, the person can't do it well, just think"I did it!" and don't "I need to make it get more beautiful, to do it with facility...

something like that...
but GREAT post...^^
The day came!I can do 3 diabolos!

Martijn

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 02:43:12 pm »
Spot on. Exactly my thought, people listen to this wise man! Good build-up and that contact juggler quote finishes it off nicely.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

pranay

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »
Yes this post shows a lot of trueness and more people should think about this but it always depends on what you are diaboloing for.
If you just do it for yourself and have fun in nailing new tricks and don't care about how it looks but maybe how it feels then you shouldn't think so much what others say.
People that want do performances and/or "good" videos should definately take care how they want to make it look like or how solid there tricks are.
For me it means:"do whatever makes you happy"!
my opinion...

Ethan

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 02:46:51 pm »
really nice post, thanks for sharing
"In a ball and stick model, what do the balls represent?"  -Bio Teacher

Martijn

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 03:21:02 pm »
For me it means:"do whatever makes you happy"!

That's definitely priority No. 1. People should realise that besides learning new tricks, practising on a certain trick to make it feel natural can be lots of fun as well.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 09:50:04 pm »
I would always love a good argue about the "i'm doing this for myself" -attitude.
Though, somehow i feel that this is not a place or time for that. Also we have had the fight elsewhere already. Yet, I have never heard about any person who does diabolo only to him/herself.
Prove me wrong but if you ever show a trick to someone, you are doing it also
to someone else. Might not be the first priority to show tricks, but it happens and is natural.
Therefore everyone should polish tricks, even just a little. The true "i_do_diabolo_for_my_own_pleasure" juggler wouldn't probably even bother to read the blog posts since he is not interested in what other people think about diabolo.

Not saying that we should be perfect models. Just saying that we should think about things like polishing etc. The way we act after that thinking is our own choice. Heck, i can never be the perfect or the best example of diabolo juggler. I can just be me, which is enough.

Martijn

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 10:11:32 pm »
Your point is very valid, but I need to say the following.

The true "i_do_diabolo_for_my_own_pleasure" juggler wouldn't probably even bother to read the blog posts since he is not interested in what other people think about diabolo.

All the articles so far (since I wrote all of them minus 1 ;D) discuss methods to make diabolo more interesting. If I wanted to make people aware of their appearance and looks, I'd write a post about audience and performing. All the topics I discussed were directed to the juggler himself, because I try to write what I'd want to read myself. Since I do diabolo purely for kicks, so far I have only written about things that are fun and interesting to me :)

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 01:11:48 am »
That's definitely priority No. 1.
Which is why I haven't learnt anything in the past two weeks. :P
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 01:04:47 pm »
Glad you guys liked it!  :)

I'm not a good example of this either, but recently I've felt that I'm more impressed by simple tricks done well than complicated tricks done badly. To me even something like vertax done without turning is simply mesmerizing whereas some really complicated integral done without style simply bores me. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to mock people who pull off really crazy tricks it's just that those tricks often (not always) bore me. I'm trying really hard not to be misunderstood, but I fear that this post might spark some misunderstanding nevertheless.

Bottom line, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do complicated tricks - quite the opposite actually. My point was that there's more to diabolo than that and to me the beauty of it all is in making it look simple.

p.s. I might have to edit this, because I'm not sure if this is what I wanted to say.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 01:31:32 pm »
To me even something like vertax done without turning is simply mesmerizing
Funny you use that as an example, I can't stand it  :-D

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 01:33:31 pm »
Funny you use that as an example, I can't stand it  :-D

Haha. To each their own I guess.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 01:37:58 pm »
Sorry Tijn, wasn't my intention to say anything bad about the blog posts. I think the blog thing is the best thing in a whole year. And yes you're right the articles you wrote have clearly intended to juggler himself. For my opinion polishing the tricks applies to both groups. To jugglers who perform and jugglers who don't perform. Even if you don't perform juggling you might still show tricks to friends. Then you would want to succeed in doing the trick. The ideal or true "i do it only for me" juggler would think only himself and live in a closet, right?

Here's how i see it. One great juggler said it better than i can say it:
Technique, Creativity and Presentation are 3 different elements. You can’t deny either of them, it’s a balanced triangle. Ideally, we should work on all 3 equally, but I sometimes...
That is so true.

For me the polishing falls in all three categories. I polish the tricks for performances but also polish the tricks to learn the necessary technique for other tricks.  Polishing a trick may create new stuff when you understand the concept and can execute the trick well. That has happened oh so many times.

About Jesse's latest comment. Solid tricks truly are mesmerizing. Remember Aaro's performance in FDC 07. 7minutes without dropping. Yeah i just checked it, all on youtube no drops. Still can't get how solid he can be. Remember a talking with Donald in this FDC after galashow. Donald went like, "Now that was really solid and long act, only three mistakes". Me and Samuli going, "Oh that was the routine with most drops we have ever seen from him..." Talk about polishing... I'm so jealous for it.

Martijn

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 11:16:19 am »
This blog post made it's way to the Street Juggling website (and so did the collab vid!):

http://streetjuggling.com/speed-and-style/

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 01:26:51 pm »
Wow glad to see how thought-provoking this has been! I find it interesting since I wrote it at work in about ten minutes.  ;)

mykill

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 09:23:13 pm »
really well written.
its not really about who can do the most tricks.

i've seen many comments on youtube about diaboloist and especially cirque du soleil saying "theres nothing hard there, i can do all that"
but its about style and performance. theres a reason why some people can do it for many and others cant.
This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★