Author Topic: IJA 2005  (Read 12865 times)

Ed

IJA 2005
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 11:54:04 am »
Why don't you try learning to do 2 diabolos from this forum and diabolotricks.com       I did.
Or have you tried it already?

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 03:11:50 pm »
Quote from: Otoshidama
I'm sure somebody would help you learn 2D, like Matt Hall or any Diaboloist would be happy to.  If I learn how to do 2 before I go I'll help you.   Also, will you be going this year Luke?

Going to the IJA festival? In Iowa?!?!

I don't think so. Unless someone gives me a few thousand dollars for no reason. And then if I had to spend it on a trip to America I'd go to the WJF instead.
Luke

Hoop

IJA 2005
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 05:20:59 pm »
I did try and I am still trying to learn from every possible source I can.  I must have some fundamental flaw in my technique.  I can never get more than two rotations.  :(

donald grant

• Donator
IJA 2005
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 03:19:11 pm »
Going to the IJA?  Sadly not, even though it is time for my five yearly visit (Vegas 95, Montreal 2000).  At least I got to the British this year, which was only the third time in 10 years.  Must be working too hard.

Donald

Otoshidama

IJA 2005
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 01:39:55 am »
Quote from: Luke Burrage

Going to the IJA festival? In Iowa?!?!

I don't think so. Unless someone gives me a few thousand dollars for no reason. And then if I had to spend it on a trip to America I'd go to the WJF instead.

I thought it would be worth a shot since you went last year.  Unfortunately, I didn't go last year, but I am going this year.  I might try to make it to the WJF as well.

Sean

• Administrator
IJA 2005
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 02:10:22 pm »
So the individual prop competition scores from the IJA are up. Assuming this was the same as last year, the diabolo competition was a 1 diabolo competition. This years results are:

1st Matt Hall 45.3
2nd Ryo Yabe 44.7
3rd Brian Gadomiski 32.9

So, congratulations Matt, and great job Brian... anyone care to fill in the details of this event?

Chiok

• Donator
IJA 2005
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 02:36:52 pm »
Man, Matt Hall was ruling on those competitions.  Didn't even know he did devilstick.  Who judges the competitions?  Is is different people for different props, and if so who did the diabolo comp?

Chiok
p.s apparently Matt Hall is Ivan Pecal's real dad...
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

norbi

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 01:38:21 pm »
Yeh, nice one Matt, beating Ryo must have fealt good, and winning boxes aswell as a couple 2nds and 3rds, rock on.

Also big up to Ryo for winning the individuals, definately would like to see that routine (aslong as its different from last year)

Terry

IJA 2005
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
Greetings,  does anyone have a runndown of the championship routines?
Terry

norbi

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 04:54:41 pm »
oh on the indiviuals note... anyone film the 3 club, diabolo, 6clubs or any other comp? (or ofcourse Ryo's routine from the seniors) and want to share it? I dont have the money for the 'highlight'* DVD but i do have the tme to download a highlights** video

*they wont show whole routine from the diabolo/3 club comp unless they won.
** you will  :wink:

ming

IJA 2005
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 05:06:24 pm »
I like your attitude nor. time for some sreious dling methinks.

Matt

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 05:25:02 pm »
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the positive comments--I assure you any resemblence to me is purely coincidental.  

If you want to read a longer post by me, check out the IJA discussion forum.  

Also, I wanted to let you know that the word is that the Props Competition is going to be made into its own DVD for sale.  Full routines by the top 3 competitors as well as highlights of other routines.  Cool, eh?

Save your pence, Norbi!  (By the way, slammin' WJF video)

I'm doing a full-on hard core 2 diabolo routine at Renegade tonight and I've got 4 workshops to teach today, including Excalibur and Diabolo Jam session.

Gotta run!  

Matt

PS  The Japanese Rule!!

PPS  Luke, I read your (and Little Paul's posts) on rec.juggling.  Excalibur has been around awhile, it's just that NO ONE in North America (excepting those lucky few who have been to an EJC or met Andy P.) has EVER seen it before.  Weird, eh?  Not the first time the Yanks have been behind the curve on something cool, eh?  I have a feeling it just got popular.  Yabe did 2 continuous excalibur genocides in his routine, as well as around the legs (yes, around the legs.  You have to see it)
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 05:47:02 pm »
Quote from: Matt
... longer post ...IJA discussion forum.  

... word is that the Props Competition is ... its own DVD for sale.  Full routines ... top 3 ... highlights..other routines.  

Save your pence, Norbi!  (By the way, slammin' WJF video)

...full-on hard core ... Renegade... I've got 4 workshops t...including Excalibur and Diabolo Jam ...

PS  The Japanese Rule!!

PPS  ...  Yabe did 2 continuous excalibur genocides in his routine, as well as around the legs (yes, around the legs.  You have to see it)

This post was longer, i swear.

DVD sounds good, wonder what kind of price we're looking at.

Save my pennies? To do that i would download stuff, i guess you just mean not to get the highlights DVD and just get props. Thanx about the vid, sorry for no diabolo, it just didnt seem to fit.

Good luck on renegade (film it) and have fun in the workshops

PS Yes they really do

PPS WOW, yeh we need to see it, so show us. Someone unnofficial must have had a camera  :wink:

Take it easy

Chiok

• Donator
IJA 2005
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 11:27:40 pm »
Quote from: norbi
PPS WOW, yeh we need to see it, so show us. Someone unnofficial must have had a camera  :wink:
Long live the freedom of information that is the Internet.  (i don't have it unfortunately)

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sean

• Administrator
IJA 2005
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2005, 01:08:15 pm »
...and showing that a diabolist can take on the big boys of traditional juggling with nothing but diabolos, Ryo Yabe won gold in the individual championships.

Congratulations Yabe-san!

Matt_

• Donator
IJA 2005
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 07:55:07 pm »
so in that case, what is the difference between the props competition and the individual competition?

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 08:24:26 pm »
Quote from: Matt

PPS  Luke, I read your (and Little Paul's posts) on rec.juggling.  Excalibur has been around awhile, it's just that NO ONE in North America (excepting those lucky few who have been to an EJC or met Andy P.) has EVER seen it before.  Weird, eh?  Not the first time the Yanks have been behind the curve on something cool, eh?  I have a feeling it just got popular.  Yabe did 2 continuous excalibur genocides in his routine, as well as around the legs (yes, around the legs.  You have to see it)

I know it is really new in america. It was really weird turning up at the Rochester convention this year... and I was the best diaboloist there! That has never happened to me at a juggling convention, ever.

The Vertax in the show went down a storm.... but then again, so did the string climb.
Luke

juggleBG

IJA 2005
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2005, 06:58:39 am »
IJA rocked!  There was some great diaboloing with Matt and Ryo putting down some great stuff expecially.  Hopefully some videos will show up of some of the "flava".  My Diabolo highlights were:
      Ryo winning the stage championships with awxsome three stuff and inverse and standard excali.
      Matt's jam session and workshop (he did alot of stuff).
      CM and Web's youth showcase performance (featuring a clean s-fan, knot stealing, and lots of drops (wait, who am I to talk))
      Competing against Matt and Ryo (guess how that turned out).
      Alex Z in renegade (double sprinkler 720 out).

Matt_:
The indivdual competition is the Main IJA Competition.  It is a stage performace competition, so judges rate performances on an arbitrary scale factoring in technical difficulty and performance.  

The individual prop competition is a more sport style competition which features an attempted point based judging system.  Its a nice concept but there are some flaws.
1: Matt beat Ryo
2: Matt beat Daymont
3: Luke beat Vova
4: Not enough people enter.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2005, 02:10:05 pm »
Quote from: juggleBG

The individual prop competition is a more sport style competition which features an attempted point based judging system.  Its a nice concept but there are some flaws.
1: Matt beat Ryo
2: Matt beat Daymont
3: Luke beat Vova
4: Not enough people enter.

1. yes something's wrong (no offence Matt, i think you'll agree)
2. as above
3. could that not have been down to the fact that Luke is infacnt arguably the best 3 club juggler around at the moment? Ok, so you prefer sports juggling to european juggling, but come on, admit it, Luke rocks and is far more inventive than Vova will ever be.

just a thought.

Matt

• VotW Contributor
IJA 2005
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2005, 05:44:55 pm »
Hi everyone,

No offense taken.  I thought I would be second as well.  I talked to Scotty Meltzer, Bill Gilliland, and Dan Holzman (not recently, but last year) at different times about it.  Dan set up the competition so folks could show 2 minutes of high quality prop mastery.  The judging system they set up penalizes drops fairly heavily.  The basic message as I heard it was something like "You should be able to keep your stuff off the floor for 2 minutes, even if you're trying for some burly stuff. It's not the 3 ball open."  

With that in mind, I had zero drops in diabolo to Yabe's one drop.  I had 2 drops in boxes to Daymont's 3 or 4.  The same thing happened last year.  I had 3 drops to Yabe's 1 drop last year.  Two of the judges from last year told me I would have won last year with 2 or 1 drops.  

Funny how it works out, eh?  I mean, we could go over each trick I did versus each trick Daymont/Yabe did and try and figure it out, but what's the point?  I give them respect and they give me respect.  It's all good.  

Make no mistake.  I needed the money (bought Lisa a 1+carat diamond wedding ring). I was stoked to win the money, but I would have entered even if the first prize was a set of poi.  We do it for the love and we do it because we want to measure ourselves against the best, right?  

Peace,

Matt

PS  St. Ignatius--great stuff this week.  I'm very impressed.
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!