Author Topic: Blog post Tijn #10 | Crossover creativity  (Read 3674 times)

Martijn

Blog post Tijn #10 | Crossover creativity
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:19:21 am »
Another creativity tool, have fun!

http://diabolo.ca/crossover-creativity/
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

tommi

• VotW Contributor
Re: Blog post Tijn #10 | Crossover creativity
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:35:35 pm »
Good stuff once again. What you describe there sounds like a jam session I have every now and then when I try to find new stuff. Just doing lot of simple stuff, old and new, and not thinking too much is a useful way to realise the patterns you repeat (ways to combine tricks, or thinking patterns when creating new moves) and to find new ways to break them.

Gotta also try that ambidextrous sketching exercise for my visual arts stuff, it sounds quite interesting.

Toby

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:59:46 pm »
That was a fairly long winded way of saying something...fair point though, i'm sure its very creative.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:15:41 pm »
The key here is that you don’t really want to be comfortable by doing the same you always do and following some sort of routine, or you’ll find yourself stuck drawing the same things over and over.
Thanks for putting words on this kind of things, it surely helps  :)
Nice post as always

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »
What a timing. I filmed myself practising last week :P (about 20 minutes). When I rewatched it, it indeed was really nice to see that some things were horrible, but that some things actually were pretty nice (uhum) and have potential. It certainly is a nice method to get some freshness into your system.
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:23:09 pm »
You guys use so different approach for new tricks than i do....

Broadens the view actually, i've used this once or twice but didn't
fit to me that well. Probably now couple years later it could work better...
Probably will give it a try when i have lot's of spare time.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 03:39:34 pm »
You guys use so different approach for new tricks than i do....

Would you like to share some of your own methods then? :)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:16:24 pm »
I believe that the one you're using already is more efficient. Better one would say.
The way i work nowadays gives some results but not as many as you get. :)

Life has been busy as hell so haven't practiced much for last 3months. Lot's of traveling
and doing magic takes a it's toll. So i do what i can do. Think a lot. Don't restrict my thinking
in any way, just think about different scenarios for videos, performances or just really weird stuff
not worth of mentioning. Then you just call to some friends and talk about tricks on the phone.
Hard to get the idea for a trick verbally but it can be done. Where ever you get a new trick solve first the principle behind it. When you get that, you'll learn it faster when you get to practice. I tend to break some tricks to pieces that i understand. Then you can put it together piece by piece and change parts of it to get different tricks.

Another way for creating tricks comes from my magic background. Start off from the effect. In magic the effect is the bit of the trick the audience sees. Ergo it is the most important. In magic that is. You can accomplish the same effect in many ways and that leads you forward thinking how to do the trick. Now that's the method. Method usually is compromise since i can't do real magic only fake it.

An example, i want to levitate something.... darn.... lets make it diabolo.... I want to do the trick called "Curl", a classic trick with the spinning ball. Okay to get it work with diabolo i will have to do choices. Like erm... Vertax or normal. From the top of my head normal would be quite hard, since it's hard to turn diabolo around. The monobolo is one solution for the problem, you throw a stick grind on second axle. Have really good spin and control for grind and you'll get the whole Curl. So there's one trick. If i would go to vertax i would have to make decicion between stuff sticking from the cups or using just regular diabolo. With monobolo or diabolo with bolts coming from the cups i could just have it on my palm and do the curl. Nice visual. Maybe don't want to use special diabolo... then i will have to stick my finger in the cup and do that. Well it's easier with hard cups so better use Sundia for that also remember not to cut your fingernails to get it easier. Well with no fingernails i think you should just put your stick in the cup and do the curl.

Now there we got like 4 variations for one effect pretty quick. Had thought it earlier so those tricks have been tried, bummer. The first variation is my favourite and have it on film... ;) But that's the way i go with it. Effect and then methods for the effect. Write it down. And do remember to take notes with you when you get to the gym. The way fit's me well but it tends to take much of the fun away from diabolo. I think the jamming fits much better for people doing tricks for them selves at least that way you get to do diabolo more. This was a long text so probably more than half people have stopped reading, but it's like that always. Isn't it? :)
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:02:14 am »
Thanks for sharing! Carefully thinking about effect and appearance first is definitely a good piece of advice.

I think the jamming fits much better for people doing tricks for them selves at least that way you get to do diabolo more.

Jamming in an unfamiliar setting (i.e. a convention) with people that push you to do interesting stuff instead of the same old same old, is also one of the most effective methods. I have thought of countless tricks that way :)

This was a long text so probably more than half people have stopped reading, but it's like that always. Isn't it?

I sure hope not! ;)

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 08:02:46 pm »
quite a nice post actually, I really liked reading that
although I`m not really a fan of die-hard creativ diaboloing, I find the work you put into it quite respectable
completely different from my usual lazy way of playing around but I gave it some tries lately (not quite like the way you wrote about it, but I mixed it into the usual boredom) and got some new stuff, nothing special but let`s say I can understand your idea of finding new tricks