Author Topic: Dutch Juggling Convention 2009  (Read 15657 times)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Re: Dutch Juggling Convention 2009
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2009, 03:30:03 pm »
Ceri - Anne I send you a private message about volunteering  ;)

Arjan

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2009, 09:06:26 pm »
I did extensive research into the height of the gym, sources tell me it's 9 and a half meters, which is not bad.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2009, 10:38:21 pm »
I did extensive research into the height of the gym, sources tell me it's 9 and a half meters, which is not bad.

Is that high enough to teach me some 3 high starts? :P

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2009, 11:05:13 pm »
If the weather is nice outside, you won't have to worry about the ceiling.

(Praying for good weather).

Arjan

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2009, 09:58:28 am »
Is that high enough to teach me some 3 high starts? :P

What to teach? You are on this forum with loads of information available. It's mostly a matter of practice anyway. But offcourse I'm always willing to help in case something is not working for you and you're completely stuck.

If the weather is nice outside, you won't have to worry about the ceiling.

I hope the weather is nice, but I'm not taking my regular kit outside anyhow. Nice weather would make the camping more enjoyable!

shalafi

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2009, 10:26:10 am »
I'll be there as well.

I do not post too much in the forum, but I read it quite often, I met some people of this forum in BJC past year. I'm really glad to know that there will be a good amount of diabolists in this one as well :)
From lost to the River

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2009, 12:00:55 pm »

Yes, it's almost 10 meters high. Should be enough space.

(Praying for good weather).

Me too! It doesn't look too good right now, but I'm hoping it'll get better during the week.
Some weather forecasts say it'll be sunny on Thursday, but I don't think that's very reliable yet. Can't do anything about it though, so we'll see. :)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:46 pm »
!! 2 more days  :-D

Kjeldabolo

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2009, 05:16:17 pm »
IT'S ALREADY TOMORROW!
 :-D :-D
I"M SO EXCITED!
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Dennis

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2009, 12:47:04 pm »
well, I hope you all have a great time there...without me.... :'(
hi! :P

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2009, 06:01:21 pm »
I've only attended the first day of the convention and had to leave with pain in my heart. I can say without a doubt that the whole four days will make an awesome convention!
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2009, 01:18:19 am »
I've only attended the first day of the convention and had to leave with pain in my heart.
I'm sorry about that, honey.  :-*
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2009, 10:28:16 am »
I'm sorry about that, honey.  :-*
Thanks, that reliefs the pain a bit :-*
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

shalafi

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2009, 10:49:19 am »
It was an awesome convention. Thanks to all the organizers for making it possible.

Also special thanks to Marjin for teaching me the integral and to Dixie for "his" integral, and Duncan for the general 2d tips and the basketball game... there is life beyond the diabolo.
From lost to the River

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2009, 11:31:58 am »
there is life beyond the diabolo.
That's just not true  :P
Really pissed I missed that  :(

Dennis

« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

me too... :o
hi! :P

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2009, 07:24:54 pm »

Missed you =(

But thank you everyone! You guys learned me so much new stuf! Duncan so many thinks for the infinite suicide 360 trick!! And Arjan for my 2 high its going so much better now!! And all you others to I have reached my 3 big goals =) Meet all you forum people, loads of body moves to play with and had many fun!

Thanks again!

Now the only thing left is to meet all you other forum guys  :-D

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2009, 03:43:45 pm »
Oh yes it was amazing! Despite some problems (like running out of beer at 2:15), everything went well. So well actually that friday afternoon the whole organization team was lying in the sun doing nothing!

Weather was unbelievably nice, people were great, food was good (that was a surprise to me too): I think I can safely say this convention was a success.

Special thanks to everyone who helped us in any way. :)

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2009, 09:22:49 pm »
Now that I've recovered enough, I can finally put down some thoughts about the convention.

Highs:
Chilling out at Martijn's for a few days.
Helping set up the tents - very cool experience.
Gym hall was amazingly good for high throws in diabolo - I think I was throwing 531 with tons of space to spare.
Badge control on Sunday with Dave, which included Martijn practicing 3 low and Arjan tagging along for a bit.
Coming up with some interesting ideas for a routine *cough*.
Doing the 3 diabolo endurance with Malte at the games. Dave did it too, but dropped out fairly quickly.
The show - not a single act I didn't like.
Getting ideas from Gregor.

Lows:
Leaving :(
How hot it was in the gym.

Goal:
None really - just have a good time (check).

Crush:
Arjan - some very very cool stuff you're working on. Excellent routine performed at the public show.
Martijn - good host and definitely fun to jam with.
Roel - Awesome show concept with one of the most unique set ups I've seen.
Gregor - great ideas on movement and surprise.
Donald - for being Donald.
Barnesy - for dragging me into badge control; turned into a fun time.
The girl who did a routine with only 2 clubs - absolutely amazing contact stuff.
The orgs - you definitely put on one of the best conventions I've seen. Big up.

Bane:
None really - I'd have to really think hard about some small insignificant thing if I were to come up with one.

Surprise:
The quality of the show - talking to some people afterwards who were disappointed by the drops. I just really enjoyed how each act kept the interesting motif throughout the performance. It was the first public show where I loved each act. Each act had an interesting motif attached to it, and they never abandoned it and kept using it throughout the act. So different from watching someone basically juggle siteswaps I've seen before to someone trying something really interesting and different.

Basically, I hope that some of you get to see what these performers put on for us at this convention. Each act was unique and interesting and had great movement. Who cares if there were some drops - they made lots of catches too (stealing that line from now on: it's so true).

As for diabolo in the show (without giving away content of the show):
Arjan debuted his new performance at the convention, and it has a very cool concept and character - as I was telling some people that his act wasn't merely gentleman but more aristocrat (and not in a snobby way), which made it very cool. Gave it a real touch of class. 
Roel opened up the show with a really cool act. Basically, I won't spoil anything about it, but when you see it for the first time, you will be very surprised how his props work :).
Donald was Donald - it was the first time I've seen his full act (1 and 2 diabolos) and I enjoyed it very much. Nothing like seeing a cradle milked for so much applause :).

All in all, I miss Holland a lot - wish the convention was still going on. I hope to go to another one sometime in the future. Hopefully see some of you again at this year's EJC.

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:51 am »
Wow Duncan thanks for the HLGCBS!
The girl with the two clubs is called Marijke, she's belgian. She definitely does some amazing stuff.

It's very nice to hear someone who liked the public show so much. It seems that either people didn't like it because they thought it wasn't varied enough, or they absolutely loved it. I myself am very happy with the show as it was; not your average juggling convention show. :)

Thanks again!