Author Topic: Hurting and Breaking (spectators or equipment)  (Read 9614 times)

Jester

Hurting and Breaking (spectators or equipment)
« on: May 08, 2005, 01:40:01 pm »
So the other day i was practicing my double Hyperloop Quadruple Suicide (i luv saying that name) on concrete and when my wooden stick came round instead of catching it, it hit the Concrete ground and ended up with a huge crack down one side

now i've had these sticks for years and they've been through heaps without almost a scratch so i'm guessing the speed on it must have been pretty intense and that got me to thinking what if i'd hit someone with that.

diabolos don't really hurt cos they're rubber so if a non-juggler gets hit they more likely to be freaked out but a supersonic Stick on the noggin  :shock:

how fast would it have to go to be fatal  :twisted:

anyway apart from sharing that experience i wanted to ask how have other people Hurt eithier their spectators or equipment?

what moves have the most fatal Capability?
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

David LH

little kid
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 02:05:46 pm »
lol!

well once i was doing a show at a shopping centre in leicester when some little kid decideded to walk under the rope behind me and onto the stage!

unfortunately for him i was in the middle of doing an infinite suicide!!!!

he walked straight into the flying handstick, didnt see where it hit him. he ran off and after i apologised profusely to his mum. she was ok about it and said it was her fault for letting him wander off!

ooops!
So thats how you do three diabolos!

Hoop

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 05:25:55 pm »
That is funny if he was okay!  :D  Everyday when I practice, a bunch of kids come to watch.  I have never hit them, but they hurt themselves watching.  Almost everyday, they ride their bikes while watching me and either crash into each other or just plain fall off.  It's usually when I do a high toss.  They are just too busy watching the diabolo!  Two days ago a little 4 year old boy was watching me and his mother called him to come in with her.  He kept looking at the diabolo and walked face first into the back bumper of his mother's car!!!   :lol:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 05:38:10 pm »
haha, dont you just love it when people walk into things, its great.

As for the diabolo thing, yeah they are rubber, but from a height or with a lot of spin (or just the fact that rubber is pretty hard) they can really hurt and even cut if you're unlucky, or least hurt enough for a member of the audience to be severly unimpressed, it shouldnt have hit them in the first place.

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 06:11:15 pm »
I have hit myself with a high throw in the midle of my face, it wasnt pleasant, but didnt really hurt that much. A badly aimed stick is probably much worse...
A firediabolo is a potential killer. If you drop it will run away and can burn or even set fire to some inocent bystander.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 07:57:24 pm »
If they're standing there long enough to even start setting alight without moving, they probably deserve to burn.  And a rubber diabolo can hurt, they do move with some speed, especially a Harlequin.
Getting whipped by the string when doing a whip catch can leave some suspect marks on a person's bare skin.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 08:42:40 pm »
If they're standing there long enough to even start setting alight without moving, they probably deserve to burn.

Good point!  But I must sugest you get a good lawyer to make the jurry se it your way... if the diabolo lands in one of those silly things parents use to drag their kidds along in it could get a little more serious... I have heard that it happened but lucky enough it was no fire diabolo...

David LH

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 11:07:59 pm »
hehe cant believe i forgot about my own diabolo injury!!!!

my mate alex and i were having a high throw comp in a show and his diabolo hit me on the face from pretty damn high!!! lol lots and lots of pain but found it quite funny really. thing was i had a brace at the time, the train tracks kind, so i didnt realise until a month later when i had that off that actually this diabolo had broken one of my front teeth off right near the top!!!! so now i have a tooth that is about 90% fake all due to a bloody mr babache harlequine!!!  :(

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 11:17:13 pm »
ooh nice one. Bet that was wierd when they came off, just a tooth falling out with them. Wicked.

ne00xide

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 02:42:41 am »
I notice after a few hours in the back yard with only a beater on (shirt that exposes all of your arms) I have quite a few string lashes on my arms... :-/

looby

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 03:15:28 am »
you should have kept quite about the wee diabolo incident and blamed it on the dentist  :lol:
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Jukka

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 07:10:28 am »
Maybe the accident with most pain happened to me, when I was diaboloing on the street. Lot of people were watching. I don't exactly remember, but I think that I was preparing string climb. I began chinese whip and concentrated totally to audience. I told that it is possible to raise diabolo with mental power. Diabolo had huge speed and yep, rolled up. I couldn't hold the stick, so it flew and hitted to my wrist. The wooden stick went to two pieces and my wrist turned black. I don't remember what the audience thought!  :D

I have had few irritating burns also. It was about four years ago, when I was training grinds. Sun was shining and it was so damn hot, so I was naturally juggling without shirt. Diabolo hitted me to chest and left a five cm red scratch.
Same kind of burn I got when learning double arm orbit. After trailing my nose many times diabolo hitted next to my eye. And again a loosy and sore scratch.

Once I saved a pretty dangerous situation with amazing catch.  :D  I tried to toss the diabolo as high as possible. It flew little bit left where my cousin (4 years) was walking. I ran and catched the diabolo nearly just above his head. I was so frightened that I had to stop tossing for a while.

Arjan

Re: Hurting and Breaking (spectators or equipment)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 10:12:56 am »
Quote from: Jester
what moves have the most fatal Capability?

I guess a mini genocide could be able to do some serious damage, more serieus then anything else.

Mattias

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 02:28:19 pm »
excalibur with a fire diabolo?

or with any hard platis diabolo. Especially if the user is inexperienced as the diabolo can fly of the string pretty easy.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 03:01:42 pm »
Quote from: Mattias

:shock: That wins.

donald grant

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 03:10:28 pm »
Renegade to the temple is always a classic.  Genuinely painful.  Have also had the dubious pleasure of renegade to the testicles two minutes before having to go on stage.

Don't use renegades on stage any more, but I'm still not safe from myself.

A couple of years ago on stage, in the middle of a fast arm combo, I managed to somehow jam the handle end of my right handstick into my right eye.

Carrying on (in 2 dimensions) I could feel something streaming down my face but didn't know if it was blood or tears.  Luckily, just the latter.

Fallen off stage three times, attacked by chair in Las Vegas (dislocated thumb), maybe I should take up something safer....

Donald

seán_

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 03:27:14 pm »
Sorry for the pain on the eye front Donald (very amusing in a guilty way though).

I got a nice diabolo eye hit the other day, so I now have a dueling scar type deal on an upper eyelid (luckily a G2 instead of a G1).

I also nearly hit a few kids in Brum. (cue my rant about letting toddlers run around juggling conventions or setting up impromtu creches near diaboloists)

kragen

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 04:29:56 pm »
wow - I have to try that :D
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

David LH

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 04:34:12 pm »
Quote from: Mattias

god i wish you hadn't said that!!!!!!!!!!!!

gonna have to try that next time i am at the club when we have the fire kit out. will film it hehe because it might be a one time only trick  :wink:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 06:23:11 pm »
Quote from: seán_
Sorry for the pain on the eye front Donald (very amusing in a guilty way though).

aye (fully intended) that does sound painful, and as guilty as i feel i cant stop laughing everytime i think about it.