Author Topic: Taking diabolos apart  (Read 9450 times)

Hoop

Taking diabolos apart
« on: May 08, 2005, 06:15:54 pm »
I've had my circuses for about 6-7 years and never taken them apart, nor have they become loose.  I want to take the cups off to clean them, but how will they stay tight once I replace everything?  For instance, I have a spinabolo, but it comes loose a lot and I don't want that to be the case with my henry's.

seán_

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 06:27:03 pm »
I've only took my three apart once to put in teflon hubs.
I didn't give them loosening a second thought, just tighten them up enough, the brass nuts should hold fine.

(if you find them loosening then try waxing the threads, use plumbers tape or loctite, but I don't imagine that you will need to, though I might be wrong. For the moment you are probably best just tightening them up well)

Matt_

• Donator
Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 08:05:20 pm »
i took my henry's apart once to clean it. other than putting it back the wrong way (one of the washers ont he wrong side...oops!) it's fine. still is tight as ever and hasnt loosened.

Hoop

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 02:03:56 pm »
Is it actually better to take them apart for cleaning?  I thought it would be easier to reach all areas, while avoiding getting the metal parts wet.

Vojtas

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 07:37:55 pm »
I'm taking my ciruses apart really often, 'cause I really often switch the colors of the half shelves (I have red, yellow and black circus). Nothing goes wrong with that... I think that nothing can happend...
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Spink

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:54:29 pm »
You dont really need to take them apart to clean them. just get some abraisive kitchen cleaner and get scrubbing. (or leave them dirty)
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

Hoop

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 04:39:53 pm »
It's a bit difficult to clean them when they are together, and they look so bad when they are dirty.  It is sort of a badge though, kinda like a karate guy getting his black belt.

eggy900

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:15:36 am »
i took my jazz apart the other day to clean it, i used a 10mm ratchet crank and it loosened and tightened fine. And now it fairly lumo instead of brown.

Spooned

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 05:37:08 pm »
Quote from: eggy900
i took my jazz apart the other day to clean it, i used a 10mm ratchet crank and it loosened and tightened fine. And now it fairly lumo instead of brown.

I did too, but mine keeps coming loose and i dont want to overtighten it  :| .
Diabolo or Diablo

Hoop

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 04:58:34 pm »
My circus only came apart once since I took it apart.  I tightened it a little harder than I had the first time and it has held.

Sambo

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 09:35:19 pm »
I take my MB rainbow apart all the time to swap the coloured parts about out of boredom. Tightens up fine and dandy and still as true as new

Spooned

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 04:15:31 pm »
I put teflon hubs on my circus' on saturday and they havent come loose yet.
Diabolo or Diablo

nezzybaby

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 10:42:19 am »
sorry for the thread bump, but i need some opinions on what i've done wrong.

Just bought 3 twist kits for my circii. I took my diabolos apart gave them a real good scrub, then assembled them with the new kits. I decided to mix the colours up a  little, to make them prettier. However since i've reassembled them, the purple/turqoise one spins fine, but the yellow/turqoise, and yellow/purple ones stray a LOT. If i have them both spinning, i can literally hold 2 diabolos in one hand for about 5 seconds before they are at right angles to each other. I've tried taking them apart and reassembling them a few times randomly varying which washer are on which sides, but im still having problems.

The yellow diabolo is the oldest of the three, is it possible that its just got lighter or heavier over time, or are there any differences between circii? yellow one is about 4 years old, purple and turqoise about 3.

Any thoughts?

Spooned

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 01:45:50 pm »
Hmm, try putting the same colours back together, then if it still wobbles try turing each cup a little to reduce the wobble, after that it may just be that your diabs are out of shape, get them and spin them for about a few mins each and see if that helps. HTH, it did after i cleaned my circii for the first (and last) time
Diabolo or Diablo

nezzybaby

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 02:32:53 pm »
i will try reassembling them with the colours right. The cups are not distorted however, the problem isnt a wobble, rather they stray from straight and tilt consistently towards one side, if i turn them round they tilt and turn the other way. It may just be that my yellow diabolo is slightyl heavier or lighter after an extra years usage.

Chiok

• Donator
Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 03:02:28 pm »
It it's turning (precessing) it's because you have an unequal distribution of mass on your diabolo, most often from changing the cup colours.  I'd change them back to rectify it.  There was a thread a while ago about the difference in weight between a new and old diabolo.

Change them back and then if it still happens, give them a lil twist and see if that helps.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

nezzybaby

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 03:24:07 pm »
I will try and let you all know. It is definately a weight distribution problem, i'm happy with that, but i wanted to make sure that it is the diabolos rather than the axels. If no-ones had a problem along these lines then it almost certainly is the diabolo. what i was wondering is do the nuts at the end of the screw thread screw down to exactly the same level, if the thread is sticking out more at one side than the other, then it would unbalance the diabolo, has this happened to anyone, or is it just the weight of my cups?

Chiok

• Donator
Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 11:24:11 am »
Generally, no to the nut-thread thing.  It's tricky to ensure you have the same number of threads engaged at each end.  However, it shouldn't be a problem since it's in the centre of rotation, so any disruption should be very minimal.  And you're probably only thinking about 1-1.5mm of extra bit at one end.

So don't worry about it!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

JC

• Donator
Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 01:03:28 pm »
I agree with Chiok, it is nearly impossible to have on both sides the same count of threads engaged at each end, but it is not really a problem.
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

nezzybaby

Taking diabolos apart
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 02:32:01 pm »
swapping the cups back round seemed to sort out the diabolos fairly well, they must be unbalanced after so many years of abuse. They still drift a little bit when doing 2 diabolos, but i think its down to me being used to very heavy diabolos (i hadn't taken the light kits off since i bought them). Give me a few weeks and ill let you know if i still have a problem.

Ive been trying to do three diabolos for nearly 2 years now, not at a massive work rate its fair to say, do people think itll be easier or harder now ive lightened my diabolos?? or am i just a lost cause?