Author Topic: Hubstacks  (Read 14369 times)

seaneatsmuffins

Hubstacks
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:22:58 am »
Hello I have seen some people who have hubstacks on their diabolo and im like hey where did they get that from on youtube i have seen Eric Moffett use hubstacks for right side up eiffel tower and a hubstack toe stall so if anyone knows where to get some please tell me
Nobody else like me

fzzyrn

Re: Hubstacks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:25:37 am »
they're mostly self made. Langerz made a kit for a while, ask him if he still does.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:45:16 am »
ReVoLuTiOn KiT
http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/view_video.php?viewkey=11002af340cbaedd6fc3
Searching in the little search bar for hubstacks helps. ;) Make sure you aren't viewing a thread when you search or you'll just search in that thread.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:10:15 pm »

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:19:23 pm »
"Manufactured by: Mr. Babache" hmm..

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »
Mr. Lz sounds more correct.... Waiting the day start to manufacture the FDK (finnish diabolo kit, bottle cap opener). When the day comes, i'll hire some snipers...
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:55:15 pm »
Mr. Lz sounds more correct.... Waiting the day start to manufacture the FDK (finnish diabolo kit, bottle cap opener). When the day comes, i'll hire some snipers...
Just to let you know, I will definitely buy that
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:23:01 pm »
"Manufactured by: Mr. Babache" hmm..

cheers for the heads up, the problem has been rectified

lz
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

genesis

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 04:40:27 pm »
i know theyre mostly home made but where would you get the materials or buy them?(in the US XD) i wanna slap some on my circuses

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:26:28 am »
i think you're best bet is to get one from lz. as i understand he makes them very well and they take a while to craft. he also uses prime bearings too.
can't believe its not butter

nev

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 12:03:30 pm »
They are far from being homemade - its a very well engineered bit of kit.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:14 pm »
Yes these are a quality piece of kit, I think it was Nev that saw me and Looby land the worlds best hubstack pass at bjc 08.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 02:57:20 pm »
Yes these are a quality piece of kit, I think it was Nev that saw me and Looby land the worlds best hubstack pass at bjc 08.
better than the 7 man one at camp david?

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 12:46:37 am »
I really need to get myself 2 of these. I was thinking back to Tre'space's EJC performance (they based a whole performance around their own custom hubstacks) and now I have a massive urge to uncover their possibilities.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

K

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 09:34:06 pm »
I was wondering how they actually work? Any thoughts because I could make some for Sundia Suns/Flys if I figured them out.
Im left handed. Get over it!

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:37:22 pm »
it has a bearing and you can grab the hubstacks and do anything with it
Nobody else like me

Diabolique

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 03:05:57 pm »
if you want hub stacks for: Medium Harlequin, Jumbo Harlequin, Performer, Circus, Jazz, Sundia Fly, Sundia Sun and radiant just buy lz's hubstacks then buy this: http://www.ballsulike.biz/Ko-Bespoke/stockdetails.asp?product=DIABOLOS/MRBACCESS/8/DIABA05006 you should be able to fit the hubstacks in.
ninja!:

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 05:19:47 pm »
if you want hub stacks for: Medium Harlequin, Jumbo Harlequin, Performer, Circus, Jazz, Sundia Fly, Sundia Sun and radiant just buy lz's hubstacks then buy this: http://www.ballsulike.biz/Ko-Bespoke/stockdetails.asp?product=DIABOLOS/MRBACCESS/8/DIABA05006 you should be able to fit the hubstacks in.

Unless he's changed the design since I bought some, no, that won't let you put them on other diabolos.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 05:51:55 pm »
I was wondering how they actually work? Any thoughts because I could make some for Sundia Suns/Flys if I figured them out.
Well if you are capable of making them I am sure you would be able to figure it out your self.

Its probably best not to lie to people on this forum... Some people on here actually know what they are talking about, evidently you have no idea. I also appreciate that you said 'should', if unsure, whats the point in saying anything at all?
Alex abuses flys!

Martijn

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »
I am, however, still waiting for a proper version of the hubstacks for the Sundia bearing Fly! Langerz, are you up for that? Nev, what's the status from Sundia?
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 06:14:51 pm »
So has anyone yet made the pointy ones that stick out of the diabolo so you can place them on the ground (having a hard time following the discussion) or is all this talk still only about the normal hubstacks inside the diabolo? Hubstacks looks cool but if you could do both hubstack/tip combined that would be the ultimate. Or does the normal ones from lz or the ones nev modded work to place on the floor/vertical in the hand?

I would want to make an axle for a fixed diabolo that sticks out of the cup and is rounded so it would work just like a top in excalibur but I don´t know how to go about making one or if there are any workshops that could help (metalshop or something?). I guess you would need an extra washer to fix the cups for that as well because the screw would not fit with a longer axle.

Well if you are capable of making them I am sure you would be able to figure it out your self.

How do you make your own exactly? Any internetguides on that?

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 06:20:02 pm »
Its fairly simple if you think about it, especially seeing as it is already done on a yoyo.

I believe that lz makes them so they are inside the cup because if they are out of it, when you drop the diab they break easily, pretty sure he said that in a thread a while ago.

I believe axles tend to be the same diameter so you could just oreder a longer rod and cut it yourself, however if its the axle and it comes out of the cup I could see it bending on an impact, and as its also the axel it might make the diabolo unstable?
Alex abuses flys!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 07:54:10 pm »
I am, however, still waiting for a proper version of the hubstacks for the Sundia bearing Fly! Langerz, are you up for that? Nev, what's the status from Sundia?

Langerz has already send me supplies of stacks etc (the good fella) - I'm just waiting on the longer Fly bolts and they'll be good to go.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 02:30:40 pm »
I believe that lz makes them so they are inside the cup because if they are out of it, when you drop the diab they break easily, pretty sure he said that in a thread a while ago.

So instead maybe it could work to grab two of the tips from the onesided Flys and put them in the centre of a normal diab so they stick out just a little (those are pretty solidmade, not much risk of breaking) connected to hubstacks? I never took into account the stabilityproblems or the fact that they could break easily as you mentioned. Putting such things on a normal diabolo probably will make it quite unstable as you say. Dunno if what I really mean here comes across though, blaming my english for that. Toptips are possible on a yoyo so I cannot really see why it shouldn´t be possible on a diabolo too. Just make them bigger and maybe they wont break as easily (I really have no idea haha :P)?

I believe axles tend to be the same diameter so you could just oreder a longer rod and cut it yourself, however if its the axle and it comes out of the cup I could see it bending on an impact, and as its also the axel it might make the diabolo unstable?

Yeah I thought about that too. There would be a lot of stress on something that thin if you were to drop it hard. Maybe making it slightly thicker at the ends would be enough but that still wouldn´t ease the stress in the centre and dunno how stability would be affected. Anyone has pictures of Trespaces diabolos?

Langerz has already send me supplies of stacks etc (the good fella) - I'm just waiting on the longer Fly bolts and they'll be good to go.

This sounds great. Been wanting to get stacks for a long time but Finesses aren´t my thing.

K

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 08:34:56 am »
Anyone has pictures of Trespaces diabolos?
Checked there site and all I could find was that they are more of a bolt rather then Lz's Tube and it comes out about half an inch to an inch from the cup.
Im left handed. Get over it!

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »
yes that is true but if you look at the votw of trespace you will see they can spin on their hands and the ground
Nobody else like me

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 09:07:37 pm »
it comes out about half an inch to an inch from the cup.

i think he already knows that.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 10:19:25 pm »
Diabolo88 I would have thought that they just extend a rod off of the nut, which may be pointed at the end? Prob wouldn't be to hard to make yourself, you wouldn't even have to put it on a bearing. Of course the appropriate weight would have have to be somehow put into the other cup. Just a thought.

Oh and seaneatsmuffins, practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice does.
Alex abuses flys!

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 12:27:59 am »
no because the more practice you have the more perfect it gets and you cant abuse a fly
Nobody else like me

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 12:35:18 am »
you cant abuse a fly
Surely Hath's signature is a perfectly logical and well formed argument against this point.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Ken

• Donator
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 12:57:27 am »
no because the more practice you have the more perfect it gets

I disagree. If you endlessly practice mistakes, where does that get you? Fair enough you may find the right path/something interesting from those mistakes, but that's a different conversation for another time...

To stay on topic, I bought two sets of hubstacks earlier during the year and didn't regret it. They're alot of fun, but a little awkward to get used to at first; I burnt my knuckles a few times trying to catch a hubstack from a throw.

I've got some ideas for some isolation style stuff with 2, but really need to work more with them.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 01:06:09 am »
you cant abuse a fly

as alex said, but if you must know about haths sig.

They arn't the greatest on hard floor especially concrete, and also if you really going at them. Better to use them on grass or carpet.
I managed to split one of my flys on hard floor, but that was mainly due to me abusing it a little.

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 01:29:59 am »
I disagree. If you endlessly practice mistakes, where does that get you? Fair enough you may find the right path/something interesting from those mistakes, but that's a different conversation for another time...

I disagree with that point, i am saying nobody is perfect so why would we have to practice
Nobody else like me

looby

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 01:48:36 am »
no because the more practice you have the more perfect it gets

i am saying nobody is perfect so why would we have to practice

You are making little sense.  Please don't get sociological on everybody, Beni tried that and it wasn't pretty.  Let's just agree that if you didn't practice you'd remain a poor diaboloist.  No amount of practice will ever make us 'perfect' but will probably make us very very good (in the case of William Lin and Sharpes for example)....

I'm thinking a DIY version of the Trespace spinning top mod could just be an extended bolt with the end threaded and then screwing on a pointed plastic end to act as the contact.  Easy enough?
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:34 am »
its a very interesting point regarding practice, probably been covered before, regardles; I have recently learnt that practising bad technique develops bad muscle memory and well bad technique (which makes sense really). A metaphor(?) used to demonstrate this was,

Your in london and you want to get to brighton, you spend a minute to think about it, get the map out and head straight there, alternatively you jump straight in your car, spend hours driving up and down the country and eventually get to brighton having gone via scotland and spent days in the car.

you've still been practiving the whole time but going about it with a structured practice plan knowing exactly what your doing and want to achieve (and how to do it in the best way) is a lot more valuable than just picking up your diabs and having a spin. this may be quite a boring way to look at it?
x

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 09:04:08 am »
seaneatsmuffins, trust me on this one, practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect. Cheers mikey ol' boy, that is conclusive evidance that flies can be abused.

Looby I'm thinking that if you just use an extended bolt it would make it unstable as bending that will certainly have an effect on the part of the bolt with the axle on. You must certainly need to attatch it to the nut, that way if it bends you can just take that bit off and replace it. As I have said before I'm probably wrong I'm by no means a creator/engineer. Nev or Toby might have some out look?
Alex abuses flys!

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 11:37:40 am »
I'm thinking a DIY version of the Trespace spinning top mod could just be an extended bolt with the end threaded and then screwing on a pointed plastic end to act as the contact.  Easy enough?

i was thinking something similar, i was thinking an extended hubstack that has threads on the inside to screw in the tip.

and hath, no problem, you can obviously abuse flies

and for the "perfect" discussion practice doesn't make perfect and perfect practice is basically unachievable. i think we can say that perfect is too.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 02:14:09 pm »
Looby I'm thinking that if you just use an extended bolt it would make it unstable as bending that will certainly have an effect on the part of the bolt with the axle on. You must certainly need to attatch it to the nut, that way if it bends you can just take that bit off and replace it. As I have said before I'm probably wrong I'm by no means a creator/engineer. Nev or Toby might have some out look?
I think what Looby is getting at is that the bolt extends out and is threaded along its whole length, the nut just shimmies up against the hub.  Regular nut, not a cap nut.  No bearings involved, just a point coming out the end with a little plastic nubbin for comfort.

At that sort of length and thickness (M6, M8?) bending might happen if hit at an angle, but I think you'd be alright most of the time.  If it does bend, get another threaded piece of bar, they're readily available at hardware stores quite cheaply, assuming they are metric sizes on the diabolo.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

looby

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 02:21:32 pm »
No bearings involved, just a point coming out the end with a little plastic nubbin for comfort.

This.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Toby

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 05:59:54 pm »
With regards to loobys idea, that would be pretty simple to make. If i've got what your saying right, which i'm pretty sure i have. Could probably bash one of those up in about 5 minutes in the workshop. The banding might be a bit of a concern with the actual spike but i think the actual axle bolt isn't likey to be before the spike does. would have to be mad of of something fairly strong, maybe a mild steel. I might go get a bit of steel rod and have a play with it in the metal shop if i get a bit of spare time in the next week or so. I'll let you know how it works out.

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:28 pm »
if you have hubstacks can you have a wide axel?
Nobody else like me

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 12:26:07 am »
if you have hubstacks can you have a wide axel?

It has nothing at all to do with what hubx/axel you have, so... yes
Alex abuses flys!

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »
do you think its possible to ufo grind in vertax with the kit
Nobody else like me

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 10:58:51 am »
I shouldn't see why not, the hubstack is a PTFE (?) cap about 20mm in diameter, if you're precise I'm sure you could get the stick in there.  Otherwise it might not work as well.  Could always take them off again if it bothers you.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 02:50:57 am »
do you think its possible to ufo grind in vertax with the kit

yeah, just pick up the diabolo tilt it and stick the stick in the hubstack
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 03:25:47 pm »
it could be something in the hubstack extended to enable it to roll on the floor style monobolo
 :-D :-D

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 10:52:50 pm »
actually nev has here is the link http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3625.msg44303#msg44303
Nobody else like me

rexspinner

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 02:17:10 pm »
I dont think the exist any more.. i use to have some but eventualy lost them and now cant find any .. :(

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:16 am »
Of course they exist, Marko is the only one making them though as far as i know.

He hooked me up with a kit in September, you should maybe try to send him a message or he might just see this thread anyways.
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 08:56:47 am »
Well I'm not actually making them. I got mine from langerz. But I do have spare parts, If I would be able to find more cheap bearings I could have more.... For proper Fly version we would have to ask Nev for extra long axles (which I hear he has had few years a go just for this purpose).
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

BatJacopo

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 02:38:01 pm »
If someone would sell his hubstack I'm interested to buy it. Langerz, you've other hubstack? I'm interested to buy them but it's for a finesse g4 whit a finger kit: they're compatible???