Author Topic: S-Fan Exits: A Video Tutorial (with 2 new exits)  (Read 21796 times)

Sean

• Administrator
S-Fan Exits: A Video Tutorial (with 2 new exits)
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:28:04 pm »
I put together a short video tutorial on the 5 main known s-fan exits to date (with the obvious omission of the minigenocide exit). Not a terribly exciting video... it's meant to be educational.

The last 2 exits are new discoveries. One is by Dave Proctor involving a wrist twisting magic knot (original video 1mb), and one is by myself and inspired from Dave's move - I discovered it while learning Dave's exit. Thanks Dave, and sorry for 'stealing' your trick of the week... just trying to keep the sfan trick of the week population under control. ;)

Exits covered include (and all assume a right handed diabolist):
1. Left magic knot
2. Right triangle
3. Right armstall
4. Right twisted magic knot *(new)
5. Right (half sun) magic knot *(new)

This is in the approximate order of discovery... a little modern diabolo history.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask questions about exits that are not clear.

Edit - it's now available on youtube:

Or for download from:
http://diabolo.ca/seanvideos/

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 06:24:05 pm »
what about the cross handed throw under the right arm, Voids exit, come one Sean, weak  :wink:

The Void

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 07:26:53 pm »
Cheers for that, Sean. Unfortunately, both my s-fan and my exit are both really sloppy, and I don't have a camcorder. I'll keep working on it, and post a vid as soon as circumstances allow. Maybe someone coming to Bungay can film it.

The Void
Once more unto the garden, dear friends, or close up the wall with our knotted string!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

fildas

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 08:24:49 pm »
good new video fan tutorilal good
.....sorry, my english is not good.....

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 09:01:59 pm »
I love it Sean :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Ifrit

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 11:00:42 pm »
Very nice tutorial.

Its going to take a while to learn all those exits but looks like theres going to be lots of fun mistakes to be had.

Arjan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:10:14 pm »
Nice Sean!

It looks like the S-Fan wil become a standard move.
Every thing you can do with a normal fan is possible, except for 1 thing, reversal.
Well, not jet it is possible, in theorie it would be.
It`s just waiting for someone to bust it.

Till then, people will find some crazy lines including S-Fan`s.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 11:57:22 am »
Nice work Sean!

Ed

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 07:18:48 pm »
Whoa, So good, can't wait till i start learning s-fans! :wink:

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 10:30:14 pm »
damn sean you are smooth as butter, well done ;)

Monregi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 03:32:23 pm »
well done. I really like the twisted magicknot.
I have a problem with this one because it falls when i return to the normal position, but i know that is a problem of the inclination of the stick, just practice......
Ciao

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 10:07:32 pm »
Its a great video sean, I really like it a lot! It will be of great use to me and everyone else when we are working on the s-fan exits..
 Ill start to work on the exit as soon as I figure out how to start the s-fan...
I have watched tis clip at leas 10 times and i still dont know how the entry is done... It looks so simple and smooth...  
How do you enter te s-fan?  Is it just a simpel "toss and catch from above" with the left stick or is there some tricky thing going on?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 10:21:53 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I had a different version of the video with more exciting backgrounds in a variety of locations, but I was hoping that this simple version would be the most useful.
Quote from: mrpink
How do you enter te s-fan?  Is it just a simpel "toss and catch from above" with the left stick or is there some tricky thing going on?

Yeap - I just toss it up and catch it on the backside of the string by the left hand and go. It's probably easier at first to learn it from minicolumns. Pop the left one higher out of minicolumns and go for it.

The first month or so that I worked on the sfan I had trouble getting it under control. The act of starting it would get it going so fast that it would spin out of control.

There are all sorts of knots you could use to get into an sfan but I think starting from minicolumns is probably the simplest.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 10:23:50 pm »
yeah, getting it going too fast was an initial problem for me too. Slowing it down as much as possible helps to give you more control on how in line it stays
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Martijn

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 10:37:59 am »
You also can start from a right arm stall, then throw the left diabolo up, catch it on the backside with your left stick, and go for it. Similar to the regular armstall Fan start.

A video of this entry: http://www.circusplanet.net/diabolo/video/2d/sfan_armstall.mpg

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 12:20:53 pm »
The entry I've taken to S-fans (since I can't pop the left one higher, or do minicolumns) is to get the speed, go into the shuffle, grind one on the right handstick and then throw it over to the left where you catch it with the darkside left.

Mine aren't smooth though and get out of line kinda quick, maybe slow is the key...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 12:53:29 pm »
I  tend to enter with a magic knot on the left. It's not the smoothest way to enter (yet) but it gives me time to gather my thoughts and I can enter from hyperloop stops etc.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 06:26:04 pm »
That magic knot start can be smooth if you practise it seán_  :wink:  I've been using it quite a bit recently, never thought of goin from anything other than a simple frontwrap tho....time for some experimentation methinks.  Cheers for showing me  :)

seán_

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 06:57:17 pm »
I have it smoother than when I was at the BJC. did a nice one last night. hyperloop stop to lh stickstall to hyperloop stop to lh magic knot sfan entry to tangled mess when my mind couldnt decide which of the exits to go with

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 07:21:16 pm »
Thanx Martijn that entry worked verry well for me.
Its good for beginners since you have some time to figure out what to do next...
I thought out another start as well.
Its inspired by the armstall exit sean does in this video.
Get to this armstall however you want to.
From there swing the diabolo around to a stopover on left stick and then just start the s-fan by undoing the stopover.
//edit//
Got it working...
I now belive that this is some type of magic knot variation.

Martijn

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 08:33:07 pm »
I thought out another start as well.
Its inspired by the armstall exit sean does in this video.
Get to this armstall however you want to.
From there swing the diabolo around to a stopover on left stick and then just start the s-fan by undoing the stopover.

That's the start Dave P. uses in his first S-Fan video of the week ( :wink: ) cool that you've thought of it by yourself. :)

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2005, 10:34:33 pm »
I shuld obviously spend more time whatching old movies lots of cool stuff there
 :)
Annyway I got another Idea for an exit, it involves one of those freaky swinging fans that JGherkin does in his fan-video. (no I cannot do them yet...).
Idea is like this.
If you do one swing with the lefthand diabolo the string will change its crossing.
Its kind of like when you do a sun with one.
Now the string will be in possition so  that you can exit the s-fan with a simple magic knot from below on the rigth stick.
I tried to do the moves with one diabolo and it went ok.
Also tried it with "nonmoving" (on the ground and lifting them around) diabolos an it semed to be working.
Maybe some of you "swingers" culd try this out and se if it works...

//Edit clarification
Having whatced te swing I have to make clear that I meant  the LH diabolo shuld pass outside Lh once and no more swinging than that.

Le Raton Laveur

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 04:51:59 pm »
Hi !!!
I find this video very usefull. Indeed i didn't know how to exit a S-Fan.

What is the song of this clip ?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 06:00:18 pm »
Quote from: Jojo
What is the song of this clip ?

"Brother Down" by Sam Roberts... a Canadian musician I might add. ;)

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 06:18:24 pm »
Annyway I got another Idea for an exit, it involves one of those freaky swinging fans that JGherkin does in his fan-video.

Thanks Mr Pink it works a treat :D and it's actually much easier than the swinging fan!

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 06:53:33 pm »
Yeah congrats MrPink, how'd that manage to pop into your head?  It took me a while to get my head round what was going on but its quite easy to learn other than that.

Get your s-fan going, you've got a great understanding of them already, I can see once its solid you'll be flying with all these ideas you keep havin

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 07:06:05 pm »
Sounds brilliant!

Um... video of the week anyone? please!?  :) (Mr. Pink can get the attribution for thinking of the trick, of course. I'm impressed.)

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 09:03:59 pm »
Great that it worked! :)
It semed to me that all s-fan exits involves some tricky stuff at the rigth hand  side because the string was crossed in the "wrong way". So I thougth there ougth to be some way to get the string crossed in the "rigth way" to make the exit simpler. A sun to the side twist the string 360 degrees. here we go...
 Trying to find ways to exit with one diabolo with the string in "the wrong way" was a good way to get and test ideas.
There is probably some way involving a couple of "swings" to make a magic knot on the left stick as well...

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 12:38:11 am »
I'd love to video it Sean but my camera's out for replacement atm, dunno when I'll get it back as the store don't seem to stock the same model anymore and are ordering me one specially  :)

Also I think I had some beginners luck with it, as my swinging fan has completely taken over when I try now, I can't seem to just let one diabolo do the sun, I automatically have the other one follow and I end up in a right mess if I don't continue the swing on the other side  :(  I'll leave it to somebody else for a vid and go back to practising.

juggleBG

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 03:27:30 am »
A really good S-Fan enterance I use is a cross armed hook stall.  I pop one high and cross left over right.  Uncrossing the arms leaves the left diabolo darksided and the S-Fan position assumed.

Le Raton Laveur

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2005, 12:11:38 pm »
What software do you use for your videos Sean ??? The qualitie is very good and the video is quite light (when i want high qualitie my video do 200Mo !!)

Vojtas

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 05:43:07 pm »
Quote from: Jojo
What software do you use for your videos Sean ??? The qualitie is very good and the video is quite light (when i want high qualitie my video do 200Mo !!)

Think Sean is using Adobe Premiere. But it's not about the software. It's about video codecs and their configuration (and also about compression of the background music). Think best are DivX or XviD or Windows Media Codec (connected with Microsoft Movie Maker which I really don't like)
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2005, 05:05:32 pm »
Jojo, yes I use Premiere for editing... but you can use any editing software and get the same video quality. You'll want to export as an uncompressed .AVI movie file and compress your video with another piece of software such as VirtualDub or TMPGEnc.

I wrote a tutorial on converting MPEG files with TMPGEnc, which I used for the medium quality version of this video.

I used VirtualDub and Koepi's XVID codec to convert the XVID high quality version. XVID offers better compression, so at the same bitrate as an MPEG, the quality will look better with an XVID codec. So, with the same bitrate as the MPEG I doubled the frame size and got a better looking video.

Best thing to do is have a long look around Google for all the help you'll need with this. Usually you just have to search hard enough. There's lots of information out there on video compression. ;)

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 11:10:53 am »
Wohiiii!!!
New s-fan exit that works in practise for me!!!
When Lh dibolo passes Rh stick stop the fanning movements and do a milisecond grind on the RH stick and simply flick it up into the air and catch it in the shuffle when its comming back down again. Its so simple that I wonder why nobody did it before (maybe they have but just dont want to tell...)
I actually landed this on the fift atempt.
cheers

Adar

new s-fan exit
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 03:54:42 am »
I thought about a new s-fan exit:

when the diabolo that on the darkside and it come to the exit do mini genocide to this diabolo.

please answer me

Adar

juggleBG

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 04:16:13 am »
This exit can be observed here. 2:56

Paul

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2005, 02:53:01 pm »
Thats a really nice exit. I love the Japanese style. Its so rapid!
Peace

seán_

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2005, 05:05:35 pm »
I posted about a new (to me) sfan exit in  the I just learnt thread and Jgherkin bit (as I knew he would ;) )

I've only got it a couple of times but hey ho.

basically when I go for Seans triangle exit sometimes I miss the stopover so I end up with a choke knot, if you do a bw unwrap you end up with a very slow spinning diabolo in a wrap on the darkside, a bit of judicious jiggling and tapping twists the diabolo through 180 degrees cw, few more jerks to get speed up and unwrap.

Bobs your very sketchy rescue of an sfan exit. I've only got it a few times so far and I dont think its really a first option trick, kind opf satisfying though.

Not as handy as my rocket wrap entry John (taught a few poiers how to do 2 diabolos that way :) )

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2005, 06:21:53 pm »
Is that not the original 180 exit in the first ever trick of the week?

seán_

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2005, 06:40:14 pm »
probably  :oops:

I was thinking of your unusual wrap theories when I did it though Norbi

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2005, 07:34:40 pm »
Quote from: norbi
Is that not the original 180 exit in the first ever trick of the week?

THIEF!! haha... ;)

Maybe it's different. I'd love to see a short video - sounds knarly.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2005, 08:16:42 pm »
Yeah I remember that, however I think seán_'s entrance for the trick is slightly different, same idea behind it though.

You so put that up in "I just learnt to" just so I'd ask about it  :P

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2005, 08:32:57 pm »
Quote from: seán_
I was thinking of your unusual wrap theories when I did it though Norbi

Good lad  :wink:

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2006, 08:57:22 am »
I've read all of the thread and I have tried a lot of the entrances. I have mostly tried the grind and mini-columns but with little success which do you think is the best entrance to start with for someone who can't s-fan.
Behind your back is your front.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2006, 09:34:31 am »
When I first started them, I did a grind on the right stick, threw it up and went into it.  If you can get into an arm stall, just hop the left one up and go.  Or could do it from a leg stall possibly.  If you're ok with minicolumns, then perhaps the simple hop one up out of the shuffle to your left might work well.

Arjan's magic knot entrance doesn't work well for me unfortunately, I don't think I have enough initial swing to keep the s-fan going.  Now I need to find consistent way of getting out of it.  I always miss the diabolo that isn't on the backside because I'm too focussed on the one that is.

Chiok
[edit] - Hey, 501st post ... a siteswap
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 02:25:42 pm »
i think grinding is one of the easiest entries, or maybe minicolums
after learning the sfan I switched to arm stall entry because it looks sweeter 8) but I found it harder to begin with when I couldnt do it, legstall is an option too

Arjan's magic knot entrance doesn't work well for me unfortunately, I don't think I have enough initial swing to keep the s-fan going. Now I need to find consistent way of getting out of it. I always miss the diabolo that isn't on the backside because I'm too focussed on the one that is.

can you describe that one for me?

Martijn

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2006, 02:29:36 pm »
I have a video right here :)

Terminator

Re: S-Fan Exits: A Video Tutorial (with 2 new exits)
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 09:12:06 pm »
Is the motion of the sticks just following the diabolos/

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2009, 12:48:16 am »
I have a video right here :)

Upload? :) I got this:

404 Not Found
The requested URL /forum/www.circusplanet.net/diabolo/video/2d/sfan_magic.mpg does not exist.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2009, 01:55:19 am »
Is the motion of the sticks just following the diabolos
The motion of the sticks is what is driving/pulling the diabolos.

William - it's not this one is it?

http://www.circuspla.net/diabolo/video/2d/fans/sfan_magicentry.mpg

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2009, 04:08:16 am »
William - it's not this one is it?
That would be it. Cheers, definately magic :P
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Martijn

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2009, 11:41:38 am »
Those old, old videos are soonish to be replaced with a fresh diabolo website + videos though...