Author Topic: S-Fan Exits: A Video Tutorial (with 2 new exits)  (Read 21946 times)

Sean

• Administrator
S-Fan Exits: A Video Tutorial (with 2 new exits)
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:28:04 pm »
I put together a short video tutorial on the 5 main known s-fan exits to date (with the obvious omission of the minigenocide exit). Not a terribly exciting video... it's meant to be educational.

The last 2 exits are new discoveries. One is by Dave Proctor involving a wrist twisting magic knot (original video 1mb), and one is by myself and inspired from Dave's move - I discovered it while learning Dave's exit. Thanks Dave, and sorry for 'stealing' your trick of the week... just trying to keep the sfan trick of the week population under control. ;)

Exits covered include (and all assume a right handed diabolist):
1. Left magic knot
2. Right triangle
3. Right armstall
4. Right twisted magic knot *(new)
5. Right (half sun) magic knot *(new)

This is in the approximate order of discovery... a little modern diabolo history.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask questions about exits that are not clear.

Edit - it's now available on youtube:

Or for download from:
http://diabolo.ca/seanvideos/

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 06:24:05 pm »
what about the cross handed throw under the right arm, Voids exit, come one Sean, weak  :wink:

The Void

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 07:26:53 pm »
Cheers for that, Sean. Unfortunately, both my s-fan and my exit are both really sloppy, and I don't have a camcorder. I'll keep working on it, and post a vid as soon as circumstances allow. Maybe someone coming to Bungay can film it.

The Void
Once more unto the garden, dear friends, or close up the wall with our knotted string!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

fildas

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 08:24:49 pm »
good new video fan tutorilal good
.....sorry, my english is not good.....

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 09:01:59 pm »
I love it Sean :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Ifrit

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 11:00:42 pm »
Very nice tutorial.

Its going to take a while to learn all those exits but looks like theres going to be lots of fun mistakes to be had.

Arjan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:10:14 pm »
Nice Sean!

It looks like the S-Fan wil become a standard move.
Every thing you can do with a normal fan is possible, except for 1 thing, reversal.
Well, not jet it is possible, in theorie it would be.
It`s just waiting for someone to bust it.

Till then, people will find some crazy lines including S-Fan`s.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 11:57:22 am »
Nice work Sean!

Ed

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 07:18:48 pm »
Whoa, So good, can't wait till i start learning s-fans! :wink:

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 10:30:14 pm »
damn sean you are smooth as butter, well done ;)

Monregi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 03:32:23 pm »
well done. I really like the twisted magicknot.
I have a problem with this one because it falls when i return to the normal position, but i know that is a problem of the inclination of the stick, just practice......
Ciao

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 10:07:32 pm »
Its a great video sean, I really like it a lot! It will be of great use to me and everyone else when we are working on the s-fan exits..
 Ill start to work on the exit as soon as I figure out how to start the s-fan...
I have watched tis clip at leas 10 times and i still dont know how the entry is done... It looks so simple and smooth...  
How do you enter te s-fan?  Is it just a simpel "toss and catch from above" with the left stick or is there some tricky thing going on?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 10:21:53 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I had a different version of the video with more exciting backgrounds in a variety of locations, but I was hoping that this simple version would be the most useful.
Quote from: mrpink
How do you enter te s-fan?  Is it just a simpel "toss and catch from above" with the left stick or is there some tricky thing going on?

Yeap - I just toss it up and catch it on the backside of the string by the left hand and go. It's probably easier at first to learn it from minicolumns. Pop the left one higher out of minicolumns and go for it.

The first month or so that I worked on the sfan I had trouble getting it under control. The act of starting it would get it going so fast that it would spin out of control.

There are all sorts of knots you could use to get into an sfan but I think starting from minicolumns is probably the simplest.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 10:23:50 pm »
yeah, getting it going too fast was an initial problem for me too. Slowing it down as much as possible helps to give you more control on how in line it stays
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Martijn

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 10:37:59 am »
You also can start from a right arm stall, then throw the left diabolo up, catch it on the backside with your left stick, and go for it. Similar to the regular armstall Fan start.

A video of this entry: http://www.circusplanet.net/diabolo/video/2d/sfan_armstall.mpg
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 12:20:53 pm »
The entry I've taken to S-fans (since I can't pop the left one higher, or do minicolumns) is to get the speed, go into the shuffle, grind one on the right handstick and then throw it over to the left where you catch it with the darkside left.

Mine aren't smooth though and get out of line kinda quick, maybe slow is the key...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 12:53:29 pm »
I  tend to enter with a magic knot on the left. It's not the smoothest way to enter (yet) but it gives me time to gather my thoughts and I can enter from hyperloop stops etc.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 06:26:04 pm »
That magic knot start can be smooth if you practise it seán_  :wink:  I've been using it quite a bit recently, never thought of goin from anything other than a simple frontwrap tho....time for some experimentation methinks.  Cheers for showing me  :)

seán_

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 06:57:17 pm »
I have it smoother than when I was at the BJC. did a nice one last night. hyperloop stop to lh stickstall to hyperloop stop to lh magic knot sfan entry to tangled mess when my mind couldnt decide which of the exits to go with

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 07:21:16 pm »
Thanx Martijn that entry worked verry well for me.
Its good for beginners since you have some time to figure out what to do next...
I thought out another start as well.
Its inspired by the armstall exit sean does in this video.
Get to this armstall however you want to.
From there swing the diabolo around to a stopover on left stick and then just start the s-fan by undoing the stopover.
//edit//
Got it working...
I now belive that this is some type of magic knot variation.