Author Topic: Any dutchers going to the BJC?  (Read 5667 times)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Any dutchers going to the BJC?
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:47:53 pm »
Hello, I was wondering if their are any dutchers going to the BJC with who I might be able to travel with? Since I have serious no idea how to get to norwich from holland by myself..

So if you are going and want to travel with me give me a pm =)

Cheers,

Ramon

barnesy

• Administrator
Re: Any dutchers going to the BJC?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »
Ik ben geen Nederlander, maar ik hoop dit is goed genoeg...

My girlfriend and I will probably get the afternoon ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwich on the wednesday of the BJC.  It seems that ticket (from Stena Line - I might know more soon once we've actually booked it) can include the train ticket to Norwich, which is quite a bit cheaper than buying it here.  It would mean quite a late arrival at the BJC, but only about 6 hours after the convention officially opens.  Feel free to join us, maybe we'll end up with quite a group!

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:49:51 am »
Hey Barnsey! That would be so great!

Do you live in Holland then btw? Thought you were a English gentleman..
I checked the site and if you are gonna book it. Are you taking the ferry from the 15th of April and then 14:30 - 20:00?

I will talk to my parents about it =)

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:03:31 am »
Thought you were a English gentleman..

Oh we're going to have fun with this one, Barnesy :)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:49 am »
Oh we're going to have fun with this one, Barnesy :)

What are you on about?   I'm the epitome of gentlemanliness, me!

Yes Ramon, that's the ferry we're planning to get.  We'll hopefully book it early this week.  My mad dutch skills didn't stretch far enough to understand exactly how to buy the combined rail ticket (and I didn't want to register for the site yet) but I'll get my live in dutch translator to help with that later.

I do live in England by the way, but my girlfriend's family is in Amsterdam and we'll be over there for the easter holiday.

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:25:49 am »
I'm still in doubt whether I'll go... I'm afraid I'll be busy and that I won't have the money. I'll let you all know if I decide to go.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:26:34 pm »
Nvm... I'm not allowd to go anymore...

My dad decided that I won't be going to England and he diddn't even let me say a thing about it..

Im 19 years old then but nope.. I'm not even allowd if I go with any of you..

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:24 pm »
Nvm... I'm not allowd to go anymore...

My dad decided that I won't be going to England and he diddn't even let me say a thing about it..

Im 19 years old then but nope.. I'm not even allowd if I go with any of you..
19 yrs old and your not allowed to go anywhere on your own? That seems a bit strange.
Just go anyway.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:17:25 pm »
19 yrs old and your not allowed to go anywhere on your own? That seems a bit strange.
Just go anyway.

I know.. But thing is My dad had never even let me try to deliberate with him about it..

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:20:33 pm »
really argue with him. If you really want to go to the BJC (which you obviously do because it's going to be large) then get really angry with him and demand to go. It might work.

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:22:29 pm »
I think it has something to do with Ramon living in the ''provincie''. Over there everything outside a radius of 5km of your house equals ''t3h big angry worldz'' ::)

But seriously, can't you just ask for an explanation? I mean, the worst that could happen is you ending up drunken and unconscious in an English alley.... If you can't go places @ 19 years old, will they ever allow you to go somewhere alone outside Drenthe?
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 08:27:06 pm »
I think it has something to do with Ramon living in the ''provincie''. Over there everything outside a radius of 5km of your house equals ''t3h big angry worldz'' ::)

But seriously, can't you just ask for an explanation? I mean, the worst that could happen is you ending up drunken and unconscious in an English alley.... If you can't go places @ 19 years old, will they ever allow you to go somewhere alone outside Drenthe?

I know its not fair! They heard things on the news about London and how racistisch London people are and how criminal it is their. But I'm not even comming near London! And its so not fair that they don't even let me say a thing about it.. And the other thing is. For my study I may go on a trainee next for 6 months in a international country. ( I wanted to go to curacaou ) But I'm kinda afraid that they won't let me do that either.. And also Next year I can't go to the BJC because I am on Trainee, And I can't go to the EJC eather this year nor next year. Because this year I am on trainee also and next year I will be on trainee also......

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 10:00:15 pm »
tbh, there are more foreigners in London than english people, so you shouldnt have a problem with racism. Englad does get a hard knock, dosn't it?
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 10:09:09 pm »
Yeah rammy, London has tonns of people of all ethnicities, you're certainly not going to get affected by racism if your just traveling through london either.
If you don't bother anyone they won't bother you

looby

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 10:12:55 pm »
Would this be the first time you go abroad by yourself?  If that's the case I can understand (to an extent).....

A time will come, if you can't make the BJC I'm sure youl'l find other opportunities to get to a major convention.  Don't think your Dad's being a elephant......he's probably just worried about you being in another country for five days by yourself.  Knowing that the only people you'll be meeting are people you 'know' over the internet wouldn't really be that reassuring for him.

Not defending your Dad's actions, just saying to bear it in mind....
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »
Ramon your going to be an adult at the time. You can do whatever the **** you want.

looby

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 10:46:18 pm »
Aren't you the teenage rebel sir?  If his parents were funding it then he's at a loose end.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »
Aren't you the teenage rebel sir?  If his parents were funding it then he's at a loose end.
i love your budgie

looby

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 10:50:47 pm »
Worst comeback ever....

I stand by what I said

The Void

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 11:32:28 pm »

That's a shame, Zwig. Good luck in persuading him. Or start hitch-hiking.

The Void
Scared of Spam Fritters
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 01:27:54 am »
i can see where his dad his coming from and your side is also easy to see what is happening.

but i agree with looby, you cant be mad at your dad because he wants to protect you.
can't believe its not butter

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 10:48:33 am »
Maybe your father would like to come with?  Make a holiday out of it.  OK, perhaps Norwich isn't the best place in the world to take  vacation, but it's still somewhere new.  If this is your first solo outing abroad, it would be a different matter as I would be apprehensive about my own son (not that I have one, hypothetically).

Arguing won't work, the more effective way is reasoning.  Invite him along, shows you don't plan on doing anything "crazy" or illicit.  Or maybe let him meet the group of people you'll be travelling with, pretend Barnesy is you dad.  It's a tough break, no doubt about it, but I'm sure your father really does mean the best.  Good luck!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:43 pm »
I can understand that your parents don't like the idea of you going abroad on your own (or with people you hardly know for that matter). When I started going to juggling conventions, my parents were the same, and they liked bringing me there, just to see I was safe. Probably had something to do with my age (I was 14) and the fact that I'm a girl and parents are generally being more protective over daughters than sons.

Even though I don't agree (come on, you're 19!), I get their point. And I also think it would be nice for you yourself, that you know at least a couple of people at the convention. I know that most jugglers are friendly and welcoming to newcomers, but still, it's nice to have a friend present.

As they've never been to a juggling convention before, they won't understand how wonderful and friendly it usually is. They won't understand until they've been to one, and as that may never happen, you need to convince them in another way. If I were you,  I'd say nothing about it for a while, and bring it up carefully next week or so. Perhaps you can arrange something to let them meet some people who are going (as was suggested by Chiok already). Getting mad or yelling won't help. They need to know it's safe to let you go.

Unfortunately, I believe that there isn't much you can do if that doesn't work. You'll have to accept it, and maybe take them with you to a Dutch convention first. Perhaps then they'll let you go abroad in the future.

About the whole 'London isn't safe' thing: I think you'd be safer in London than at Curacao! I've been to both of the places. In London you can be sensible and stay in the good areas. At Curacao, you don't want to be anywhere alone when it's dark, except your hotel. (Of course, if you're sensible there, it's a great island to go to, very beautiful, so don't let this put you off.)