Author Topic: Henry's Beach diabolo---nigh indestructable?  (Read 5047 times)

Matt_

• Donator
Henry's Beach diabolo---nigh indestructable?
« on: May 15, 2005, 07:20:19 pm »
i bought a brand new henry's circus last month, and from (i suppose) mini-genocides and other tricks where the aluminum sticks whack the hubs, my hubs are now ruined. in fact, on the first day i bought it, i could see chunks taken out of the metal hubs (from my sticks). now, a month later, it is nearly unusable due to destruction.

being bored with no diabolo, i whipped out my (very) seldom used Henry's Beach. after a few hours with it in the past couple days, i noticed something odd. the hubs have no scratches; it's in perfect shape. they are definitely metal, and definitely not the same as the Circus. i noticed dents in my Circus in the first hour, the first few minutes even---with the Beach it's been two days and barely a scratch from grinds.

oh by the way, the Beach hubs dont fit on the Circus, trust me i tried ;)

i wonder what kind of metal they make these out of...and why the crap don't they make the Circus hubs out of it too...

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 07:36:27 pm »
The hubs migth be more durable on a beach, but my experience is that the plastic cups will break after about 6 months of regular use...
I think that the smaller weight of the beach reducdes the damage to the hubs  quiet a lot, but it dosnt explain everything.
I dont know why they dont make cirkushubs ot of this super metall. Maybe they just want to sell a lot of brand new teflon hubbs...

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 07:40:11 pm »
Yeah.. get some teflon hubs.. They are almost indristructable.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 12:58:56 am »
I've had my Beaches for about 6 months now and they're still standing up to everything.  They're the only diabolos I have at the moment and what I use for all my 1 and 2D stuff.  I asked about whether the Beach hubs were the same as Circus hubs a while ago in a seperate thread (have to find that one).  
I've not taken a long hard look at a Circus hub, but the Beach ones are a steel I believe whilst the Circus are probably aluminium.  Though Pink has a point that they aren't as heavy, so possibly don't inflict as much damage upon themselves.  I'm using wooden and MB Performer sticks though (v.old fashioned) so they don't do as much damage I don't think.
I'm missing some small chunks in the cups, something violent I imagine.

Chiok
(my gf is missing a chunk out of her finger, does that count?)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:05:51 am »
Yes. I have also found some dents in my circus now. Today I purchased some metal sticks, and after practicing right now, i notice some dents in them. They dont sell any steel hubs anywhere?
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 06:50:04 am »
dracodragon: i dont think they sell steel hubs anywhere. i know teflon hubs are sold (from henry's...not to US or Canada though :( ) and from other brands (like 20 euros each plus shipping >_> ) i really _do not_ understand why henry's doesnt ship new circuses with teflon. it boggles my mind, it really does.

mrpink: if they wanted to sell some teflon hubs, then their website would allow shipping to the US, eh? a guy at a local juggling club has 2 circuses with teflon hubs which he says he got straight from Henry's---through some special hookups, he didnt really elaborate. but if you go to their website, they have the hubs...but they dont offer shipping to North America.

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 03:06:57 pm »
And I thought it was such a good conspiration theory...
Here is another (not so paranoid) atempt at explaining.
The beach hub is made of a verry thin slice of steel while the circus hubb (wich is indead aluminium) is made of much more metal. I think the circus hubb is a better design for keeping the diabolo stable (and for keeping the diabolo in one piece for more than a year as well).
If they made the circus hub out of steel instead of aluminium it would be much heavier, and that would affect the diaboloish properties in a bad way.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 03:41:39 pm »
well, i dont know about that. the circus hub is a big honkin' piece of metal--whereas the beach hubs are thin and they just go over the cup itself (i should've taken some pics...). i tried putting the beach hubs on the circus, no go :p i think henry's couldve done the same approach, as in, putting the thinner hubs on there, right?

that still doesnt explain why Circuses dont have teflon hubs. Finesse diabolos have those hubs, do they not?

Otoshidama

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 04:27:06 am »
Extremespin.com has replacement hubs for the Circus for $19 and they're based in the U.S. I think it says they're made of vinyl.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 07:36:02 am »
very interesting....

has anyone tried these? i might be the first, i am desperate.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 08:16:19 am »
I don't think they're any different. Looks like they're the same genuine Henrys version. I don't see why else they would sell them with the Henrys washers, nuts, and bolts.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:56:09 pm »
well then...looks like as soon as i get my paycheck im gonna get some of these bad boys then :)