Author Topic: some new sticks  (Read 5803 times)

Matt_

• Donator
some new sticks
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:40:02 am »
i'm thinking about picking up some new sticks, just for the hell of it. i have a couple different types of wooden, and the henry's aluminum already.

i've used henry's fiberglass (goodness gracious they suck....so light and so bendy >_>) and henry's carbon fiber (kickass....a little light but they are firm. only crappy part is they waste string and they have that stupid lip at the end..). so those are out of the question.

how about those Mr. Babache sticks? eh eh?

and why the crap doesnt Henry's make the same exact design of their alum sticks---but in carbon fiber (you know, with the small grip and the hole at the top for string). seems logical to me. 'course, when has Henry's been known to be logical...what with their crappy hubs on their best diabolo (and the best hubs on their cheapest diabolo.), how their website is in english but doesnt ship to NA, and plenty of other stuff....

Chiok

• Donator
some new sticks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 10:19:56 am »
I've used the MR Performer sticks, and they are fat.  Though they don't look the same as in some of the pictures I've seen.  A tad long, very wide in the shaft, nice padded handles and don't use up loads of sting unlike the fibreglass and carbon fibre.  
I used some fibreglass sticks the other day and normally am reluctant to do so, but they weren't bad compared to the sticks I've tried before.  Good for whip accelerations.  As for the new MB sticks, www.butterfingers.com are saying summer for their release.  Which I'm quite excited about, though they may need some time on the market for people to come to a consensus about them.

Also why I think the reason is they don't put the string on carbon/glass fibre sticks like alu sticks, is that you can't.  Putting holes in that sort of material really weakens it due to delamination I think.  And they're weak enough already.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Mattias

some new sticks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 11:40:35 am »
if you dont want to waste string with the fibers or the carbons just drill a whole in the bottom of one of the sticks, and use that in your non-dominant hand. I have done so, and as long the non modded stick dont have any sharp edges, only the modded stick breaks string. Worked for both my fiberglass and my carbon anyway.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Purplegirl

some new sticks
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 01:40:13 pm »
Or get the shorter ones which would waste much less string than the long carbon ones I have :)

Mattias

some new sticks
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:42:21 pm »
but then you would still need to change string completely when it broke since it would be to much of an adaption using 30 cm shorter string all of a sudden
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Sean

• Administrator
some new sticks
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 04:02:42 pm »
Quote from: xfirebladex
... MB sticks... their release.... though they may need some time on the market for people to come to a consensus about them.

No consensus needed. They're great. :P

OK, Matt_, is this a stick thread or a bash Henrys for their product management thread? ;)

I'd definitely wait it out for the Mr. Babache's if you're in the stick buying mood. I imagine those of us on this side of the Atlantic will be paying a small fortune to get them shipped from who-knows-where if we want to get them early.

Ed

some new sticks
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:11:13 pm »
Hmm... In the other thread People said that MrB had said his new sticks would be released end of April - begining of May! :roll:

seán_

some new sticks
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 04:50:05 pm »
Thats because we are all mushrooms to them Ed, kept in the dark and fed on...?

Has anybody seen if its possible to drill out the handle ends of a Henrys carbon stick to allow you to put a large knot on the string that would stop it being pulled out the other end? I dont know if it would work (and I dont have any to play about with) but if it did it would save string.

Dave P. is prototyping his own carbon sticks with a string saving mod, We'll have to see how they turn out.

Mattias

some new sticks
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 05:09:23 pm »
Quote from: seán_

Has anybody seen if its possible to drill out the handle ends of a Henrys carbon stick to allow you to put a large knot on the string that would stop it being pulled out the other end? I dont know if it would work (and I dont have any to play about with) but if it did it would save string.

Yeah, that was what I was talking about a few posts up.
You dont need a larger knot either. Just drill ONE stick and keep that in your non-dominant hand. I only do one because I dont think a single knot would manage to stay put when chinesewhipping, and I believe the stick would brake more easily.

Just drill past the first metal area in the bottom and you should be set.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

seán_

some new sticks
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 05:56:58 pm »
if it works with one, it should work with two.

I use small knots on my henrys allys so that the string rotates. If somebody who is into enthusiastic Chinese whipping has a go they sometimes pull a knot through. Funnily enough, it rarely happens to me and if it does, its a minutes work to sort it out. Also smooth technique and a shift towards a more orbiting and hovering style of whip helps to stop it pulling through.

Is there room for a bead to be used within a drilled henrys handstick? Might this reduce the chances of the knot pulling through? I dont know how well attached the tips are on henrys sticks, that could be a problem.

Mattias

some new sticks
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 07:42:40 pm »
a bead?
kind of like with the MrB performer?
If thats what you mean it would have to be a really small one. I have no idea in what size they come in, so though question to answer
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Chiok

• Donator
some new sticks
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 09:04:49 pm »
Quote from: Mattias
a bead?
kind of like with the MrB performer?

The MB Performer sticks I have now are borrowed ones, so I don't know what they were like originally but the string threads through the tip, out the other end so I can tie a large knot, and then pull it back through to the tip.  And yes it does pop out occasionally with enthusiastic whipping or snapping, though it then requires me fumbling trying to undo the knot I did.

A bead though, that's an interesting idea, especially with the Performers as they're really fat so you could probably get a bead with a hole big enough for the string but small enough for the shaft.  And it would rotate better than a knot inside.

Chiok

Mattias

some new sticks
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 09:28:13 pm »
The performers are supposed to have beads from the beginning i believe.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Matt_

• Donator
some new sticks
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 03:31:46 am »
while i do think that the carbon fiber is strong enough for a alum-like mod....unfortunately it'd be quite hard because there wouldnt be a tapered hole to tuck the string :/

Quote from: Sean

OK, Matt_, is this a stick thread or a bash Henrys for their product management thread? ;)

sorry sorry just letting out some frustration :p

Quote from: Sean
I'd definitely wait it out for the Mr. Babache's if you're in the stick buying mood. I imagine those of us on this side of the Atlantic will be paying a small fortune to get them shipped from who-knows-where if we want to get them early.

that's what im afraid of. i liked the alum ones because they were only 16 bucks and they are available in american online places. diabolo needs to become more popular in North America!! i know i'm doing my part!

Chiok

• Donator
some new sticks
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 11:10:23 am »
And I always thought things went better in the US.  What with a larger choice of online stores, lower VAT and other such interesting malarcky.  I'm not sure how much those in Canada or the US have to pay for shipping from Europe, but it's not cheap for Europeans to have things shipped from US either.  And we don't get any IJA conventions over here...  And WJF will probably stay in LV, which is a bit sucky.  Alot of the top name jugglers seem to go to America.

Just a lil rant because I thought living in the UK was limited.  Maybe not so much.

Chiok

Matt_

• Donator
some new sticks
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 03:56:00 pm »
well, in my experiences with most things, US is better, really, with the reasons you said. a lot of places (like newegg.com where i get all my computer stuff) dont even ship to canada. so america is where it's at.

....except for diabolo. man, we are getting screwed on that  :cry:

Mattias

some new sticks
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 04:24:08 pm »
Quote from: Matt_
well, in my experiences with most things, US is better, really,

Please...
not going to start a rant, but still.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Matt_

• Donator
some new sticks
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 07:16:17 am »
sigh, i meant with things like prices and availability of goods, not things like standard of living, the economy, religion, or politics. please, keep this thread on topic. i'm not waving a patriotic flag or preaching self righteousness (i hope you can see i'm not an unabashed nationalist, don't treat me like one), so please don't fight back against me.

Mattias

some new sticks
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 01:36:25 pm »
Sorry, guess i read a little to much in your statement. I appologize for that and for going off-topic.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive