Author Topic: Why all the vertax hate?  (Read 6143 times)

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
Re: Why all the vertax hate?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 07:07:45 pm »
That's true Martijn. But I was referring to Alex's statement that vertax is fast. To me it isn't always. I know you can't totally stop, but to me vertax can be pretty damn slow with proper technique (which I don't have). But it's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.  :)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 06:46:20 am »
.. there isn't really anything you can do to actually stop the diabolo in excalibur ...

I'm not sure if this is true eighter, but there might be some positions where you can hold vertax relatively still. That would be doing side pulls while diabolo is in wrap. Nowadays i use them more than ever. There might be just a few done in this video, during the moments i walk toward or away from camera. Trick section begins at 5:00.

Diabolo - Four point vertax tutorial

All that is done with normal diabolo. Switch to bearing and you can just pull string tight in the middle of the trick and have diabolo still. Here's one gyro flop (yo-yo, conversion) done with bearings. Right at the midpoint of video. Slower than that i cannot get.

http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/flvideo/1719.flv
http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/view_video.php?viewkey=a60d6a1afaf7859c5076

Thank you Jesse for kind words. But really if you want to see real vertax done refer to Jouni Ihalainen. He is my master.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 08:55:59 am »
I'm with Jesse and Marko with this. You can play vertax in any speed you like, like normal diabolo. it's really up to you. Some hate it, some hate 3 low. So what's up. It's just one way to play, don't hate the game, nor players. Here's enough space for all of us. If you don't like to practise vertax enough to have control for it, then don't, but don't hate the people who do, or say that it's not cool just because you can't, or just don't understand.

For eight points of vertax (Marko's video) How many of you have applied this thing to your normal play with one, two, or three diabolos. It works, it might not be easy but it's same thing.  At least I haven't seen this stuff almost at all on any videos yet.

Don't people think? Do you always need to see example first to decide what to do?

I'm really glad that there is so many diaboloplayers who really give away great stuff for all of us to try and are willing to help when we struggle.

This is great but it's not all to it. There's more to diabolo than this.

well back to vertax control, again like Marko said Jouni is his master and you can see some of Jouni's stuff on most of FDC 2008 videos.

[noembed]http://youtube.com/watch?v=mKJYRf-G_jA[/noembed]
[noembed]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FY0GgdXfCaU[/noembed]
[noembed]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_5b3yXZr1x8[/noembed] (begins with Jouni)

not direct links. but you can find it (mod edit - I fixed that for you, if you put [ noembed ] tags around youtube links [without the spaces], they won't embed in your post).  Jouni is the true master of vertax.
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

pilch

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 10:33:29 am »
i like vertax its really hard tho at the moment (my string is so dirty and i havent got any left) but it always gives a laugh to my friends when it gets you in the face and it all ways shows people what for when they say thats easy i can do all that n then there mouth just drops ps does any one know where i can buy string from (whole roll) but not fire toys they kinda pissed me off at a festival last year cheers
trust me but i dont know what im doing

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 10:55:00 am »
In excalibur I play a lot with gyrogrinds on fingers and sticks. Loads of possibilities not fully explored there. Also fingerforks, stick/string/handstalls and self-floorpasses I have done quite a few funny things with (still don´t have a camera so as usual nobody will get an example of any of it :().

Who is hating on excalibur exactly? I have never heard anyone call it boring at all.

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 07:36:00 pm »
I have never heard anyone call it boring at all.
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3153.0
You have now  ;)

I actualy quite enjoy the occasional vertax, as long as its original, just as with numbers like Arjans recent votw's. I think it gets a bad rap because people don't seem to explore it much and are content leaving it at a gen...and then film it and put it on youtube like everyone else until that's all you see.

I play a lot with gyrogrinds on fingers
How does that not destroy your fingers?
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

pilch

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 10:53:39 pm »
Ive bin doing vertex with a loop diabolo and can do some basic tricks nothing to special alltho i suppose u could

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:41 pm »
Not totally related to the topic, but this was posted on jongle.net and I thought it was nice.

ShangQiu Chinese Top Spinning-1

A drink at EJC to the one who does that sequence with a regular diabolo (bearing or not). Looks great if you ask me ...

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »
A drink at EJC to the one who does that sequence with a regular diabolo (bearing or not). Looks great if you ask me ...

That first behind the head roll he did was nice (trying that out tomorrow). The rest...um... :o.

I have never heard anyone call it boring at all.

http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3153.0
You have now 

Thanks I remember that thread now (actually had seen it before). Just going to say it´s not boring at all.

Suns and Diabigs are very easy to gyro with and it doesn´t really hurt. I have never tried with any other diabs so I don´t know if they hurt more but stick with Suns and you wont get hurt even at full speed ;).

pilch

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 11:56:31 am »

have you seen the Revolution kit for the Finesse and Tornado don't you think that would work grate i might actually go by a tornado

The Void

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 05:27:58 pm »
I've read through this thread, and the other one, and having had a good long think about it, I've decided that Vertax is rubbish!

The Void
I wear my heart on my sleeve chest.
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees