Author Topic: Eastern Diabolo Style  (Read 6243 times)

bombmistro

Eastern Diabolo Style
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:38:23 am »
hey i know to some this may sound weird but i wanna know how to do eastern style really badly. so badly that i have signed up for mandarin classes and plan on going to china to learn. before i actually go that far does anyone know of tutorials or people or sites about eastern style?
I AM BACK AND HERE TO STAY!!!

Mr.D

Re: Eastern Diabolo Style
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:49 pm »
Is it a particular style...? I thought they just dress up, use a wood-diabolo and include the "chinese rolls"-trick ;)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

willum89

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:03:04 pm »
I don't think there's really a distinct style. Just watch some videos of ryo yabe or william lin and then watch some of the eastern diaboloists/chinese yo-yoers, probably a few differences in the tricks they do but i wouldn't say they're different enough to classify as different styles.

If you could provide a description of what you believe to be the "eastern style" i'm sure that people here would be able to help you out with the tricks.

I personally started chinese yo-yo with the plastic whistling yo yos with a ginormous axle and i wouldn't say any of the basics are different from the current day diabolos. It has just evolved and more tricks are possible due to the better design and our drive to push boundaries

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:40:14 pm »
I think the bonus track on Diabology where the MFP pay tribute to the Japanese crew is a good example. Think lots thrown loops of strings, wooden sticks, super fast motions, crazy skill, and loud gasps from the crowd with every move. I think that about sums it up. :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the distinct styles (Old school, French, and Eastern) have sort of merged in recent years for most people. 4-5 years ago they were much easier to distinguish.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:22 pm »
what about an english style?

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:30 pm »
KongZhu.com is a good source of videos of traditional Chinese diabolo players. Quite a lot of videos of single-sided play, too.
The videos are of fairly low quality and it's difficult to see the string, but you might find some good inspiration.

The most obvious Eastern-style trick is the "Chinese Pirouette". Seán_ has some good advice here.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:48:38 pm »
That's a good point. There seem to be at least 2 kinds of Eastern-style. There's the traditional type that Nick is talking about. The Chinese girl acts in Cirque du Soleil are a good example. Then there's the newer Eastern-style. That makes me think of the stuff mostly coming out of Japan 4-5 years ago - the stuff I mentioned above.

Seems that around that time diabolo on the internet expanded greatly and diaboloists from all over the world starting borrowing from each other's styles. The traditional Chinese style will live on forever though.

Have a look at the Related Topics below. There are some good links there.

what about an english style?
You mean like the English style pirouette demonstrated here?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:37 pm »
I don't think its about the way they do tricks, its more of the tricks they do.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

bombmistro

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:28:17 am »
I think the bonus track on Diabology where the MFP pay tribute to the Japanese crew is a good example. Think lots thrown loops of strings, wooden sticks, super fast motions, crazy skill, and loud gasps from the crowd with every move. I think that about sums it up. :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the distinct styles (Old school, French, and Eastern) have sort of merged in recent years for most people. 4-5 years ago they were much easier to distinguish.

things like the way they do the infinite and the vertax how it is very flowing (if your wondering what i am talking about go look up dancing with diabolos on youtube)
I AM BACK AND HERE TO STAY!!!

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:19:34 am »
i wanna know how to do eastern style really badly
Keep dropping

May take a few minutes for the joke to appear.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

mykill

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 02:58:27 am »
i actually have a DVD with a buncha chinese tutorials on the "asian" progression.
my friends brought it from Taiwan for me :)

if the forum wants ill just upload it or something. (it was free, so no copyright issues)
It goes through all the asian style tricks. so no integrals  ;)
If you wanna learn eastern you MUST and i stress this. learn 3 tricks.
1. infinite suicides (chinese way) with a lotta combos
2. quite a bit of under the leg stuff
3. team shows. when you throw a buncha diabolos around and everybody catches the right one it looks good
This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:33:49 am »
I think you can see how things are merging together anyway.  Yabe's style seems to have taken on some European influences that are visible now that weren't a few years ago.  Same with Liang, which is understandable as they travel around and learn the different skills in different areas, everything becomes more homogenous.  Taking the best from each area and adding them all together.

And it'd be useful to learn Mandarin anyway, we'll all be speaking it eventually.

Chiok
(and despite that, not many asian people in Firefly)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Niclas

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 02:37:23 pm »
i actually have a DVD with a buncha chinese tutorials on the "asian" progression.
my friends brought it from Taiwan for me :)

if the forum wants ill just upload it or something. (it was free, so no copyright issues)
Please do, i would really love to see it!
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

Martijn

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:38 pm »
As Sean stated, the distinct styles have indeed merged throughout the years, although it's still fairly easy to categorize tricks. As for 'English style', the first word that pops into my head is sloppy :-| I don't think you can call it a distinct, influencing style. Same with a so-called 'Dutch style', I have no idea of what the characterizing elements would be. French, Eastern and old skool on the contrary, can definitely be seen as 3 of the most influential diabolo styles and are easy to distinguish.

Personally, I think it's a bit silly to copy a certain (stereotype) style just because you like it. I'd suggest you take some of the elements of the style(s) that appeal to you and use those to create your own.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »
i wanna know how to do eastern style really badly

Keep dropping

OK someone needs to explain that one to me??

seán_

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 09:49:07 pm »
OK someone needs to explain that one to me??

'Bob Parkhurst: I want to see how a war is fought, so badly.
Captain Blackadder: Well, you've come to the right place, Bob. A war hasn't been fought this badly since Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all the vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside. '

RandomSeaBadger

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:04:21 pm »
A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it an call it a weasel... :-D
To save everyone hassle, my real name's Euan! :D

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 04:08:46 am »
Australian style is the best.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Dennis

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 07:29:28 am »
German style ftw.. ;)
hi! :P

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 10:45:57 am »
Man I need to find my Blackadder DVDs right now.