Author Topic: Australia's Got Talent finals  (Read 17870 times)

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
Re: Australia's Got Talent finals
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:25 am »
Out of curiosity, did you prepare a thank you diabolo.ca speech in case you won  :P ?

Martijn

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 02:00:34 pm »
Yaaaaay, you rock Will. Congratulations with your achievement :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2009, 02:53:38 pm »
Out of curiosity, did you prepare a thank you diabolo.ca speech in case you won  :P ?

Haha I was thinking of that to :P

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2009, 04:19:35 pm »
Its a shame that there are so many singers winning these comps but think about this:
The top 8 get a SonyBMG (music) recording contract worth however much Sony deems you to be worth (I don't know how much mine is.)
SonyBMG is run by Simon Cowell - a judge.
The winner was also shown on a popular breakfast TV show as well as radio while everyone else were lead to believe that any publicity without permission was a no-no unless everyone got the same opportunity.
They used the winners song on the ad and also showed his vote number last everytime (leaving him the last thought in your head according to physcologists)
Look at all this publicity Susan Boyle is getting, no doubt she WILL win. Same happened with Paul Potts*.

True all the way. And don´t forget. While you can hear the singers talent unedited the whole way through your act gets chopped up while they put in shots of audience/judges. Visual acts are at a disadvantage when the editing is bad.

Had no idea it was decided already but well done for even getting to the finals. You´ll no doubt be able to find some workoppurtunities from this.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2009, 06:53:42 pm »
Aww it was a bummer that you didnt get first. These type of shows never know how to judge the extreme difficulty of the tricks that you had in your routine, and also in other jugglers attempts at similar shows. I guess the world just isnt knowledgeable about how difficult it is to actually perform all that stuff. At least on the plus side you got your name out there, got lots of fans, and will probably get a lot of gigs from it. You also made me considered doing America's Got Talent... although im still deciding if I want to deal with the jerk judges.  :P
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2009, 07:57:29 pm »
Looks like we'll have to have a mass d.ca meetup in Finland everyone ;)
We need to have our own "diabolo.ca got talet!" competition in Finland. No singing allowed, unless it's karaoke the finnish way...

seaneatsmuffins

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2009, 09:05:11 pm »
We need to have our own "diabolo.ca got talet!" competition in Finland. No singing allowed, unless it's karaoke the finnish way...
thats a good idea ;)
Nobody else like me

Simalacrum

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2009, 05:04:27 am »
would there be horrible mean judges that have not a drop of talent themselves? :P

monkiatzu

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 08:07:04 am »
would there be horrible mean judges that have not a drop of talent themselves? :P
Thats compulsory, no question about it

Midoryu

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:20 am »
I am SO sorry I missed going on the forum in a while.  I feel so sad.  But flippin' third place?!!  ...WOW...I'm really proud of you, Will, and I'm sure we all are (I didn't need to say that, but I'd regret it if I didn't).  Fantastic job out there, and congratulations on making it this far.

Singing is not a "special talent" anymore...

After being disappointed, it's hard not to start philosophizing.  Technically, anybody can sing, but not everyone can sing well.  Even less people have an ear for listening to the tunes, and even less can hit the perfect note the first time they try, and all the time.  That's what they consider "talent"; something that not everybody has.  Unfortunately for the vast majority of us, diabolo can be learned by almost anyone.

BUT.

What the judges don't realize is that Will DOES have talent.  To be able to learn so much in a (relatively) short span of time, and to be able to exercise his skills in such an impressive way, it's no wonder that we think KNOW that Will deserves to win 1st place.  As an added bonus, Will is already in the world of professional diabolo, making him one of the young prodigies of modern diaboloism.  In the "real world", though, this concept is completely obsolete.  After all, the majority has to be pleased, and the axe of cliche must fall.

Paving the way for diaboloists to rise in the world as the top talent is all we can do for now.  Someday, we'll SURELY get that title!!!  JUST WAIT AND SEE, "GOT TALENT" SERIES, HERE WE COME!!!
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:40 am »
What the judges don't realize is that Will DOES have talent. 
Don't forget that it was ultimately the public who voted the singer as the winner, not the judges. The judges recognised his talent...even though they thought tap dancing was better than diabolo in the semis. As Red said, many people would fail to appreciated the level of difficulty in diabolo and therefore don't understand the talent that Will has.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:26 pm »

That depends on what you class as talent... I don't know so much about the Aussie judges but the English ones are all fairly succesful not because they always have talent themselves but because they're very good at 'exploiting' people with talent. Which in a way is a talent, a very good money making one... Ask Simon Cowell!
Alex abuses flys!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:41 am »
You're spot on there Hath, you only have to listen to Cowell dismissing various talented acts because "they won't be mainstream enough".  In other words, he'll only keep the crap he knows are surefire money makers - even the singers aren't immune - they could have the best voice but if they ain't got the looks then its goodbye.

It takes a special sort of talent to be so shallow (& rich)
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Simalacrum

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2009, 12:22:38 am »
That depends on what you class as talent... I don't know so much about the Aussie judges but the English ones are all fairly succesful not because they always have talent themselves but because they're very good at 'exploiting' people with talent. Which in a way is a talent, a very good money making one... Ask Simon Cowell!
haha, yeah this is true... Simon Cowell annoys me though, what with his statement that "juggling is uninteresting unless your under serious risk of killing yourself"... ugh, utter rubbish I tells ya! I might just go on Britains got talent to prove him wrong lol... not that I could considering i'm nowhere near as good as William...erm... someone who's GOOD at diabolo and British do teh job for me!