Author Topic: g'day to everybody and Q's about new diabolo  (Read 4108 times)

dog footrot

g'day to everybody and Q's about new diabolo
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:39:23 pm »
well hello tot every body on d.ca!
began diaboloing a couple of months ago (i turned my own out of a peice of black wattle i had left over)
and was wondering about buying a new professional diabolo
from the research i've done i'm guessing either a henry's circus or a fly's bolo
if you could give any of your expertise or opinion i'd be grateful
i've also been doing staff, double, poi, and rope dart for the past 6 years so....
any way and help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Sean

• Administrator
Re: g'day to everybody and Q's about new diabolo
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:24:24 pm »
Welcome to the world of the diabolo, and specifically to Diabolo.ca!

Not sure what you've read so far, but let me first throw out some links:
The Equipment Sticky
Equipment Guide by Leo
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2009
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2008
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2005-2007

The intro to the equipment sticky is a good summary. If you want to know the specific differences between any 2 diabolos you can probably find a thread on that in the gear section.

What it comes down to is that all the major brand 5 inch diabolos are great. They will all be pretty much the same price[1]. Within those it's mostly personal preference. Someday I should put together a flow chart to help people learn. It goes something like this:

1. Do you really want bearings[2]? If you do, then you should probably go with a Fly (edit August 2011: or a Shining or a Finesse or Henrys with the conversion kits) but also get a non-bearing axle to learn with[3].

2. Is it important to you to be able to use your diabolo over pavement without it getting all scratched up? A Circus (with plastic hubs of some kind) or a Finesse would be your best choice. A Sun and Taibolo can take some abuse without showing too much wear. The Fly is not for you.

3. Do you want a heavy diabolo or a light one? There's no right answer. A heavy one tends to be slightly more stable and can make learning some tricks easier since they have some momentum. A light one can be easier on your wrists. In rough order of lightness to heaviness off the top of my head: Taibolos or the lighter translucent Suns (especially with plastic washers) or the soon to be released Henrys Vision diabolo < Circuses with plastic hubs and washers or Finesses < Circuses with plastic hubs but standard metal washers or Finesses with weight kits or standard Suns with plastic washers or Flys < standard Suns with metal washers or Yohos.

4. Do you want a soft or hard cupped diabolo? Hard cups are often slicker and easier to correct with 2 or 3 diabolos. If 2 collide you can often recover. Soft cups can usually take more abuse and don't hurt so much when they hit you. In terms of hardness (i.e. soft to hard): Circuses < Finesses < Suns or Yohos < Taibolos < Flys

Recently, I've had a number of people try out all of my diabolos[4] and everyone seems to come out with a different opinion. There is no right answer. If at all possible, see if you can try out some first at a shop, juggling club, or convention.

Hope that helps!
 1. Except buying the Circus and almost obligatory plastic hubs, which combined may cost you more.
 2. As your first diabolo you probably don't unless you specifically want to do certain styles of tricks that require them.
 3. Or possibly the new Duncan Phoenix once they sort out their axle issues.
 4. And yes I have all of these!

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:08:18 pm »
whats a rope dart?

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 08:55:32 pm »
usually done with a monkey fist/some other firey thing in the circus world. It's pretty underground.