Author Topic: FDC 2009 at Eräjärvi 31.7-2.8.2009  (Read 11858 times)

samuli

• VotW Contributor
FDC 2009 at Eräjärvi 31.7-2.8.2009
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:41:59 pm »
It's time for fourth FDC at Eräjärvi 31.7-2.8.2009!

Convention starts at Friday 10 am. and ends on sunday afternoon after Galashow. Between the beginning and the end of convention there will be at least open stage, trick jam, sauna, diabolothon, workshops, GH +RB, and some suprises as well.

FDC is organized by Supiainen and Kumiankka

More info on www.supiainen.com/fdc and www.kumiankka.com

We are working with the schedule so it's not ready until all the small stuff is confirmed.

Convention place & stuff

Convention is held a gain in Eräjärvi due to it's quiet, peace and cheap spaces. There is a one shop, one restaurant and the convention place. Also a lake with the sauna. Sleeping happens in a school so bring your own sleeping bags with you. There's a small gym where the workshops and some shows happen. Also a small kitchen for making your food. Last year we served breakfast which might be the case for this year as well.

Bear in mind that this is a small convention which is concentrated on diabolo juggling. So almost everything is about diabolo. There will be again the diabolothon sports championships. We believe we'll see last year's winner Jouni Ihalainen defending his trophy this year as well.

Here's some things that might bother your mind about getting to convention place.

Connections (Airplane, ferry, trains, our car)

So Eräjärvi is a really small village 30minute drive to east from Tampere. Tampere has airport (Ryanair) so you can fly there and take a train to closer. More advisable is to contact the organizer so we can come and get you from the airport or Tampere.

People coming from west with the ferry over the sea (probably Sweden) should go to Turku first. And from there on with train to Tampere. Same with the foreigners who are coming first to Helsinki. Either by ferry or airplane. From Helsinki catch the train or bus to Tampere.

Once in Tampere it is fairly easy for us to come and get you by car. Or you can take a train to Orivesi which is a bigger town close by Eräjärvi. All the Finnish diabolo men & women are going there. And taking a lift to Eräjärvi.

If your arriving to any city in Finland, there might be a chance that some body from there is coming to convention. So it's much more easier to travel with locals or get a lift. If you're coming please contact us, we might be able to make things easier for you once you're here.

Ryan Air flights are really reasonable to Tampere. And if you are coming to FDC by plane. Just send message and we figure out how to get to convention place.

Propably we can give you lift. :)
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Niclas

Re: FDC 2009 at Eräjärvi 31.7-2.8.2009
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:00:00 pm »
When is the guest(s) going to be comfirmed?
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:17:26 pm »
Well were just gonna wait a little more. We are releasing information little by little. Today we released the Finnish Juggling Camp info. The camp is preceeding Diabolo Convention. The location is the same. Info from www.kumiankka.com (frontpage) or www.sirkusteltta.net <- somewhere in the forum.

Basically the info is this:

Sirkus Supiainen and Finnish Diabolo Associaton are organizing juggling camp. Camp is open for everybody and it's held in Eräjärvi during 27. - 30.7.2009. Nature is beautiful there and the town/village is located 50kilometers from Tampere, 20km from Orivesi. 

The camp is good for beginners but also to people who have juggled for a long time. Camp is a good chance to learn new tricks, share ideas and just have good time with other jugglers. There's workshops scheduled for both beginners and more advanced jugglers. Teaching will be provided in balls, clubs, rings & diabolo. Workshops include combos, bodymoves, siteswaps, practice methods and building a routine. Also there will be time to hang out and usual camp stuff. Like games, swimming, sauna....

Teachers are Samuli Männistö, Sakari Männistö, Marko Akkanen + some yet to be announced jugglers. All teachers are professionals in their own fields and juggle professionally.

Price is 160euros including teaching, sleeping (indoors) and meals (breakfast, warm lunch and also food during evenings). Also during the juggling camp there is also circus camp organized near by, so if somebody wants to attend their program they are free to do so. People attending to Juggling Camp will get Finnish Diabolo Convention for lower price. If you're not Finnish? No problems contact the organizers and we will figure out how to get you there.

Registration and questions to: raulisamuli(at)gmail.com

Basically all you can juggler for a whole week and get teaching to it. All this at the same place. I don't see how this could be any better. When the camp ends you can move seamlessly to having great time at the FDC and seeing shows and even more jugglers. I think i should attend there, no wait a minute. I'm already attending ;)

The guests for FDC will be announced in time... But they are awesome. My favorites, totally.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:48:06 am »
The main guests are announced. We are happy to get these guests to FDC:

Nev Brooks
Crackers

After last year we said that our line-up can't possibly be any better than that.
I think we were wrong, because this year will be even better than the last one.
Festival is even better organized and the guests are just insanely talented.

Oh and we have rumors about LaNgErZ coming back this year... We'll get back to
you soon with the schedule. Of course we have all the finnish guys doing diabolo
in FDC. So if you want to see Tommi, Jesse, Aaro, Joona & Elias... (the list goes on and on)
live. You'd better book your cheap ryanair tickets now and come around as well.
Preregister before 16 of June to get convention for cheaper price 50euros (from the door 65e).
Also inform the organizers and you'll probably get free ride from airport to festival site.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:49:58 am »
If I had about $3000 spare, I'd totally be on my way. :(
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:25:26 pm »
At the moment I've got nothing on at that time, so I'll try and make it. The Aussie rep.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 05:44:09 pm »
If I had about $3000 spare, I'd totally be on my way. :(

To bad it passed your nose =(

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »
Hi all. Just popped out to give the timetable so you know what is happening. Also there is still time to book the flights and come for a little juggling trip before the BJC. If you decide to come rest assured we still have under 50 swine flu cases in whole country. You'll be much more safe here than in Uk, Germany, Spain etc. ;)

No really, feel free to attend. Let me know when your plane arrives and we'll get you a lift from airport like we got for others as well. Here's the timetable (adjustments will be made):

Timetable

Friday
10:00 Registration begins.The official FDC cars will pick up attendees from the Orivesi station.
If you need transportation please remember to notify the organizers beforehand.
15:00 Diabolothon competition
18:00 Workshop 1 [main hall]
19:00 Videos in the cafeteria
20:00 Diabolo video & Past FDC film premiere [cafeteria]
22:00 Opening ceremony & Diabolothon prize giving [tent]
22:30 Works in hope of progress [tent]
24:00 Yo-yo VS Diabolo [main hall]

Saturday
10:00 Breakfast at the cafeteria
11:00 Workshop 2
13:00 Workshop 3
-Lunch break-
15:00 Workshop 4
16:30 SDS briefing at the cafeteria
18:00 Workshop 5
19:00 Trick Jam
22:00 Lakeside sauna / Videos at the cafeteria + GH/RB comp night

Sunday
10:00 Breakfast at the cafeteria
12:00 Workshop 6
13:00 Workshop 7
15:00 Galashow
17:00 Transportation to the train station

Attendees may use the main hall whenever it's not used for other activities such as workshops. Accommodation takes place the Eräjärvi school. Be sure to bring your own sleeping bags and mattresses. Cooking is also possible at the venue. There's a small restaurant and grocery shop located near the school. Attendees are expected to take care of themselves. Breakfast is provided by the organizers daily.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 03:17:43 pm »
Never done HLGCBS, but I'll try it now.

Highs: Hanging out with amazing people. Had a wonderful time with Langerz, Crackers, Tom (Vancouver!), Nev, Tommi, Kusti, Marko Samuli, Tonza, Aaro, Jussi, Maku, Kaitsu etc... The Gala Show was much better than expected. But mostly I just had a really great time with great people. Oh and of course phoning Funty. (sorry man!)

Low: I didn't diabolo enough.

Goal: To diabolo more than last year. FAIL.

Crush: Crackers. I knew from videos that his tricks would be crazy, but man I've never seen anything like that! Timothy as well.

Bane: Watching Peep Show with Langerz at 5am.  ;)

Surprise: The Gala Show. It has always been good, but this year I thoroughly enjoyed every act.

Overall it was an amazing convention. Easily the best FDC so far. It was really well organized and everything seemed to work just fine.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 05:53:33 pm »
Oh man. Thank you boys. That was so good convention. Best one we've ever had.

Highs: Hanging out with everybody.
Low: I was organizing so i did not had that much time to participate in anything.
Goal: Get bunch of new tricks, and teach lot's to others.
Crush: Crackers, his tech level is absolutely insane.
Bane: Headaches for not getting enough sleep or food because had tons of stuff to do.
Surprise: How much fun i actually had with Lz, Crackers, Nev and GTom. Galashow.

Will look forward on seeing some videos. This year i did not have time to film anything. It's your turn to do all that fellas.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 09:41:53 am »
If there's videos from the festival link them to me so i can watch them too.
// Deleted the video i put here since Pyry already has put the link on the forum. Thanks Jesse for letting me know.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:34:07 am »
That was posted in the video section earlier.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:22:43 pm »
Tiis seems like such a great convention but cost too much for me to get to :(. Hope to see good footage once it´s over.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 09:45:45 am »
Now i'm back fully rested. Slept like 12 hours per night after convention. Here's the report of it.

General

FDC 2009 was 4th time the festival was arranged. This time the festival was biggest one so far. Previous years we have had under 35 participants. This year we had 50 people attending + 15 more for galashow. In my opinion this is amazingly well since this festival is all about diabolo juggling and now a little bit of yoyo.

Workshops

We had many workshops on different things. The workshops were:
Langerz - Slacks & Cuts
Aaro - Integrals
Nev - Anti-Shuffle / Fan Technique / Two diabolo technique
Marko - Wrong Hand technique, Vertax 8points with gyroflops
Samuli - Diabolo State Graph, Two handed siteswaps in diabolo

Some of planned workshops did not happen but that was no problem since people liked sharing tricks and ideas with each other.

Guests

We had 5 international guests. Three of them were planned and two came as guests. Thanks for Nev, Crackers, Langerz, GTom and Shinji for attending the festival. We had amazingly fun with you guys.

Finnish Diabolo Association

Diabolothon competitions was held as usual. This year we had 31 participants for the diabolothon. Winner turned out to be Aaro. Second place was tied between Saska and Pyry. Third was Miro. We are happy that the juniors are now hitting better and being better than older diabolo guys. It's great to see development also in this area. Finnish diabolo association was kind enough to share it's diabolo magazine for public reading during the festival. This time it was 12pages of pure gold including english pages for our guests to read as well. If information about diabolo magazine is new for you. Well yes we do have diabolo magazine in finland. It's not a big but it's a magazine. Appearing 4 times a year, free for all Finnish Diabolo Association members. Currently most of the magazine is in Finnish due the lack of english readers. Magazine is made in collaboration of all members and distributed trough internet in pdf format.

Filming & Videos

Like always filming is allowed throughout the festival. The only exception is filming the galashow. This year organizers were really busy because we had more people attending. We had a little chance to film the festival for you. So this year we are looking forward for the others to edit their films and share their experiences with us.

Gala show

This was the best ever. We had many performers including Crackers, Nev, GTom, Langerz, Marko, Aaro, Tonza, Maku, Miro, Kaitsu, Jesse. Oh i can't even remember every act we had there. Amazing show with only one non diabolo act which was great.

I want to thank everybody for making this such a great convention.

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:22:12 am »
Gala show

This was the best ever. We had many performers including Crackers, Nev, GTom, Langerz, Marko, Aaro, Tonza, Maku, Miro, Kaitsu. Oh i can't even remember every act we had there. Amazing show with only one non diabolo act which was great.

Jesse is the one you can't remember ;)

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:48 am »
This convention sounds absolutely great! And I think that every year when I read how it has been. Looking forward to seeing pictures and videos. :)

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:13 am »
Oh I'm not very memorable.  ;)

The magazine is amazing. I think we should do an all English version too.

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 11:03:24 am »
Thanks everyone, especially Marko and Samuli for all the work and trouble. The guests were amazing as we have already started to expect from FDC. Crackers, Nev, Langerz and GT were all great! It was interesting to see many new faces in gala, Crackers said that it was his first show ever... How many of us start with 3d 1-2-3 fts?  :o

Quote from Lz before entering sauna:
"**** it, **** it, it's all good boys"
Good times!

btw, we had a dj next to sauna, you could actually hear music there, Samuli is genius.

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 03:46:25 pm »
Never done HLGCBS, but I'll try to do it now for the first time ever.

Highs:
Hanging out with amazing people. Seeing people having fun. Wonderful people sharing crazy tricks, Langerz, Crackers, Tom, Nev, Tommi, Marko, Jesse, Tonza, Aaro, Jussi, Maku, etc...

Galashow. It was so Twin peaks. Red wooden Building in middle of the forest with Red and black molton.

Low:
I didn't have time to diabolo. (learned few nice moves, thou)
Henry's new string. It didn't really help during gala performance.

Goal:
See all the participants have fun. Check.

Crush:
Crackers. I knew that his tricks would be crazy, but he's just too over the top than anyone can be. He's coming back next year. That's even more crazy.

Bane: Falling a sleep while GT's plane was leaving in two hours. I just couldn't stay awake any longer. Sorry GTom.

Surprise: Miro, I really started to like this kid a lot. We booked him for gala from Finnish juggling camp. Sweet act from supersweet kid. Thank you Miro for this.

Then here's complete list of galaperformers:
Langerz, Crackers, Miro, GTom, Kaitsu, Jesse, Tonza, Maku, Samuli, Aaro, Nev, Marko.
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »
This was the most friendly and had best atmosphere of any convention I've ever been to.

We were treated amazingly and I cannot thank Samuli and Laura enough, so dont worry about it buddy, at least I had a great night in Helsinki.

Erajarvi is beautiful and the lake and sauna was amazing.

My highlights of the convention were Crackers amazing tricks, Saskia who is one of the most amazingly talented diaboloists I've ever seen and he's only 13! Oh, and Marko's and Tonza's routine. Marko's for sheer originality and a shout back to the old school, and Tonza's for the way he married comedy and diabolo in such a perfect fashion.

Thanks to everybody

GT

Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!