Author Topic: NEW Sundia Triple Bearing "Shining" Diabolo  (Read 40412 times)

nev

• Donator
NEW Sundia Triple Bearing "Shining" Diabolo
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:21:00 pm »
OK I don't often start new topics but this one is worthy.

Sundia have been quietly developing a revolutionary new successor to the Fly diabolo for some time. Following a few early problems and a lot of testing, its nearly ready for final release.  It features 3 separate bearings which work independently of each other to ensure a smooth quiet operation.   I have a few (unofficial) final testing models available to buy and evaluate.

EDIT - all the samples have now been sold - no more will be available until the official product release this summer.  2nd Edit - The shining diabolo is now available.

Thanks to all who bought one - I look forward to hearing your comments and you will all receive a gift upon final release.

NOTE - if you are the curious type and take them apart to see how things work - please take care not to loose the 4 small plastic washers inside - they still work without these, but performance is better with them in place.  2nd Edit - the official model have these built in to the design now.

I'll try to answer some of your general questions later in this thread
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Mr.D

Re: NEW SUNDIA FLY - Triple Bearing Fly Diabolo
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:50:01 pm »
I was waiting for this topic :)

The new axle seems great! The design too! I have high expectations for this diabolo, though the prize is ouch... Anyone tried it yet?
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

wgm

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:51:58 pm »
those are awesome colors. What do three separate bearings do to make it better though?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:21:30 am »
Yeeeha! Are the new axles backwards compatible with old cups/washers/hubs? Any word on whether the final versions will be released with the same colours?

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 04:40:17 am »
Maaaan I just bought a car so I have like no money :(
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

ecuador16

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 05:12:36 am »
my main concern with these is how much abuse can those bearings take?
3=more thing to break?
overall it seems like its going to be a good product and also what about weight comparisons?

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:38:02 am »
I'm waiting eagerly to get my hands on the triple bearing. It seems to be really good. I'm putting some pre testing thoughts to here to save some searching time from the others:

Fly Specs
Weight = 275g
Diameter = 125mm
Width = 144mm

Triple bearing Specs
Weight = 265g
Diameter = 125mm
Width = 149mm

So it seems to be lighter in stock. But then again it seems to have aluminium bearing straight away (normally -15grams). Comparing list prices shows That fly with aluminium axle would cost you £29.50 + £11.95 =  £41,45.  Triplebearing £42.50. If you are going to upgrade your Fly anyways with aluminium axle you might as well get the triple bearing for the same price. Also note that Nev (Diabolomoves) seem to have discounts in their prices currently. I just compared the list prices, you might get it cheaper than i said.

Definitely seems to be a little wider. And i just love what they have done to their design. Cups sure look sweet. Will be waiting for real reviews, and i will do one if i get my hands on the triple bearing. Thanks for the news Nev.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:11 am »
these play nearly silently. really smooth.

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:06:21 am »
If a revolution kit fits, I'll definitely get one. It's good to see a company innovate and care so much - g'job Sundia :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:08:23 am »
I feel like it's finally time to for me to get some bearing diabs. And it's almost my birthday already...

edit: I see how diabolo is turning more and more like the yoyo business.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 04:41:18 pm »
these are absolutely lush to the point of wanting sexual relations with them. they're the best ****ing thing ever, no joke.

lz

i kiss mine goodnight everynight son
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

Ken

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 04:45:51 pm »
I had a play with these not too long ago, and they are indeed thoroughly awesome in terms of form and function. I'm very tempted to get a pair.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 07:11:42 pm »
these are absolutely lush to the point of wanting ...

Oh man, this is like reading erotic books. That just makes me want one even more.
If Lz, likes them they are they are really worth it. Did you Lz change the cups for smaller ones again or do you just use the ones that came with it. Just wondering how the triple bearing would play in the smaller one's you had...
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 08:50:22 pm »
They really are simply amazing. Almost silent you sort of have to strain to hear the little noise that they do produce! And the cups look fantastic, can't wait to get a set of these!
Alex abuses flys!

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 12:42:17 am »
Nev, after I get paid *cough $5k cough* for a certain show you'll be getting an order for three and a few suns.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 12:54:38 am »
Just wondering why, given the chance to update them, they haven't gone with a slightly softer cup like the Suns?

It seems they've got one heck of a good thing going with the Sun cups. They're more durable, they don't hurt, they take pavement better, and they don't break. So, why wouldn't they update the Fly to take the Sun cups (or rather Sun material cups)? Is there some mechanical reason why they need hard cups for the bearing axles?

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 01:14:27 am »
I'm not a fan of bearing diabs, but these are in a whole new league of smooth
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

kyo

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 05:27:00 pm »
I'd argue that it's the 3 bearings that make the difference..

HOWEVER, before you all start ranting.. I absolute believe these -are- smoother. Why? most likely a much higher quality bearing, one that likely can't be found in wide sizes required for single bearing.

Does it matter? no, not at all.. if it works it works, very cool :) just thought I'd help explain since some people seem to be wondering why it would make a difference to have multiple bearings..

Kyle

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 06:20:26 pm »
Nev, could you apply the triple bearing system to the rev kits? Surely with these flys being slightly faster (and spinning better already) the spin you would get from a rev kit would last for ages?
Alex abuses flys!

Janey

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 07:07:24 pm »
they look awesome, i thought about buying a normal fly, but now i have seen the new ones... uuuhhhh i want one :P