Author Topic: NEW Sundia Triple Bearing "Shining" Diabolo  (Read 39945 times)

Will G

Re: NEW SUNDIA FLY - Triple Bearing Fly Diabolo
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 10:51:27 pm »
These look nice, but I can't afford them.

pranay

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 11:13:41 pm »
Nice the green ones look cool!

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 04:56:07 pm »
Just wondering why, given the chance to update them, they haven't gone with a slightly softer cup like the Suns?

It seems they've got one heck of a good thing going with the Sun cups. They're more durable, they don't hurt, they take pavement better, and they don't break. So, why wouldn't they update the Fly to take the Sun cups (or rather Sun material cups)? Is there some mechanical reason why they need hard cups for the bearing axles?

Well the cup needs to be able to withstand the hub pushing on it to keep it stationary with it, those two prongs that they have, and if you have played with a soft cup bearing diabolo before you know that they can reach such high speeds that the soft material will warp and cause the entire thing to lose control
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 05:32:43 pm »
Is that because of the soft cup? Spinabolos aren't soft cups are they? And they use to wobble all the time, I thought that occurred because of uneven weight on the cups? Which happens with harder cups because they scratch and loose chunks easier?

Alex abuses flys!

kyo

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »
Wobble can be caused by a few hundred different things.. but overly soft shells can be an issue for sure. Most shells on diabolos that I've seen, even the softer ones, are ok up to a certain RPM.. past that you risk deforming them and losing balance. These RPMs are usually so insanely high that it is well beyond what you'd ever need to generate normally. Just because it 'can' be done, doesn't mean it will in normal play.

Bearing diabolos tend to induce higher RPM ranges though, so it's more obvious in these types of diabolos and you need to generally stick with stiffer materials.

Kyle

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 05:48:14 pm »
Wobble can be caused by a few hundred different things.. but overly soft shells can be an issue for sure. Most shells on diabolos that I've seen, even the softer ones, are ok up to a certain RPM.. past that you risk deforming them and losing balance. These RPMs are usually so insanely high that it is well beyond what you'd ever need to generate normally. Just because it 'can' be done, doesn't mean it will in normal play.

Bearing diabolos tend to induce higher RPM ranges though, so it's more obvious in these types of diabolos and you need to generally stick with stiffer materials.

Kyle
like the spinabolo jumbo? AKA worst diabolo ever...

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 08:22:11 pm »
like the spinabolo jumbo? AKA worst diabolo ever...

radical fish.
can't believe its not butter

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »
I don't know. I could see the cups are too soft issue being a problem with something really soft like the Circus cups, but the Sun cups really aren't that soft at all.

I'd be curious to hear Sundia's reasoning behind this. I'm sure there's a good reason. It just seems like they could make the 1 perfect diabolo if they merged their Sun cups and Fly guts.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 09:22:08 pm »
I haven't tested the diabolo, but I think Duncan told me the cups were slightly softer.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 09:49:27 pm »
Ever so slightly - it's basically the same thickness, but it feels like a much nicer cup.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 02:11:14 pm »
It just seems like they could make the 1 perfect diabolo if they merged their Sun cups and Fly guts.

I couldn't agree more.

BlackLoveBite

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 02:42:24 pm »
Damn, I want one now... But I'm a HUGE fixed axle person... And here I was planning on buying 2 fly's... Might buy two of those flys ;3

Thats if they spin quieter than the first version.
http://www.youtube.com/BlackLoveBite - My youtube. VISIT IT!
Keep Spinning My Fellow Diaboloists!

Martijn

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 06:23:27 pm »
Thats if they spin quieter than the first version.

That's kinda a key feature... So yes, without even having seen one, I'm pretty sure they're very quiet.

Can anyone inform me on the current status of revolution kits on these puppies?
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 06:27:53 pm »
I've been playing with both the old version and the new version for the last few days - the old one sounds like a clunky car compared to this new hotness. Virtually silent.

Simalacrum

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 12:24:42 pm »
Maaaan I just bought a car so I have like no money :(
you know what? As AWESOME as these new Fly's are (i've also noticed that the Glary Taibolo's are available too now, YAY!!!), I think i'd rather go with the car than spinny plastic thing lol

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 07:57:51 am »
you know what? As AWESOME as these new Fly's are (i've also noticed that the Glary Taibolo's are available too now, YAY!!!), I think i'd rather go with the car than spinny plastic thing lol

*bang*
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

nev

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2009, 11:28:31 am »
Quote from: Sean
Yeeeha! Are the new axles backwards compatible with old cups/washers/hubs? Any word on whether the final versions will be released with the same colours?
Yes they are backwards compatible with the old cups/washers.
The final version will have the same type of swirly colours but in many more colour combinations / patterns.  There may also be a few surprise colours.
Quote from: Equador 16
my main concern with these is how much abuse can those bearings take?
3=more thing to break?
I've had some for about 8 months now and have given them as much abuse as I physically can - no problems yet - a LOT of thought & testing has been done in Taiwan to make sure these are good - on the very first version a small number of diabolos had a problem with the hubs breaking after extended play as the original design weakened the hub - so they were re-designed.  Sundia won't rush to put out anything that's not up to the job - that's why its been in development and testing for the best part of a year now.
Quote from: Sean
Just wondering why, given the chance to update them, they haven't gone with a slightly softer cup like the Suns?
They have done testing and the harder / stiffer materials seem to be in favour so far - but as always, testing and development is ongoing and I expect to be able to bring you news soon.
Quote from: kyo
I'd argue that it's the 3 bearings that make the difference.. 
most likely a much higher quality bearing, one that likely can't be found in wide sizes required for single bearing.
Not quite - the main ratchet (one way) bearing is exactly the same as used in the standard fly - but due to clever design with the side bearings, it can now work much more efficiently as there is much less stress being placed upon it. This should also make it more reliable.  The 3 bearing system is of course patented  ;).
Quote from: a few people
Revo !!!
I hope to have revo kits available at some point in the future.  Again I would need Sundia to make some special longer bolts for me - and that means waiting for a spare production run slot.

The regular Fly kits should be available very soon though  :-D

www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Simalacrum

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2009, 01:29:16 pm »

kyo

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 04:38:43 pm »
Not quite - the main ratchet (one way) bearing is exactly the same as used in the standard fly - but due to clever design with the side bearings, it can now work much more efficiently as there is much less stress being placed upon it.

Cool :)

Kyle

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »
First impression is that it's pretty unreal.
Makes so little noise, if you put it by your ear you can just about hear it.

It feels like your playing with silk or water (which makes no sense), a better way of describing it might be; as soon as you start playing it feels like it's up to speed - theres very little tension, so therefore is a lot easier on the wrists.

This is an incredibly sexy piece of work.

On saturday I'm going to have a compare to some brand new flys as apposed to my old knackered one just to see the real difference.