Author Topic: Better equipment - Better Diaboloist?  (Read 2617 times)

Chiok

• Donator
Better equipment - Better Diaboloist?
« on: May 28, 2005, 08:22:31 pm »
I've been using Henry's Beaches for 2D all the time (apart from the short time with Harlequins).  I'm soon to get 2 Finesse G2s with wide axles and am very excited about it as I hope my fans and vortices will be smoother.

What I was wondering, if someone started off with the top end equipment, would they advance quicker in the learning process (excluding factors such as environment and personal ability).  Conversely, would someone with inferior equipement (Flare Jumbo's perhaps) not fair so well in their improvement.

Or what if someone had practised with inferior gear and then moved to high end gear, would they be better almost instanteously.  And would someone who'd practised with good toys (Circuses) be able to have the same level of skill when using cheap tat.

All in all, could better equipment help quicker?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Punkerpanda

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 08:35:48 pm »
I'm not sure, but i would say that having better equipment from the beginning on would be a best choice. A more stable and fast spinning diabolo is more forgiving when you try to learn things. If you try to learn stuff with cheap things you will have a harder time. My friend bought a cheap diabolo and it would only spin fast for a few seconds. Now he has a Finnese G2 and is getting much better.

Of course, if you learn to do stuff with less qulaity equipment they are used to harder conditions, but I think they will learn slower.

I think it's like driving a car. I'd rather learn to drive with a high quality car that isnt falling apart than a car that is a piece of junk.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:01:25 pm »
Hmm. I dont know. I think the high quality gear gives a great improvement in your tricks and control. But the gear isnt everything. YOu cant get topline gear and expect to immediately learn the harder tricks, but yeah, i think it increases the rate in which you learn tricks by a slight amount, and gives you more of an edge than practicing with cruddy gear.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 10:11:25 am »
i think it makes a difference, perhaps profoundly, in the way you move on. now, im not saying that getting Carbon sticks and finesse G2s will make you a pro, but it can help. some people (Norbi for example) still did a lot of good stuff with wooden sticks. so it can be done.

of course, once you move from Henry's Beaches to the G2s you'll notice a huge difference. i had to use my Beach while waiting on getting hubs for my Circuses...man when i got back to the Circuses it was like heaven.

so to answer the question(s) you posed in your second paragraph: yes, i absolutely agree.

I_Ko

For sure
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 10:34:12 am »
Hello!

I started out buying my daibolo and sticks for like 15 pound, then I practiced with for like 1 year! Then one day I bought some alu sticks from Henry, and all the tricks i did was alot easier! Then i bought 2 circus and then it got easier once again. So i think the gear does matter, but you can be good with 'lame gear' but i think it is harder.

But i maybe dont think you will feel much, (I have not tried either beach or fitness), but i know that they both are like high standard diabolos.
 But i cannot know for sure!

Morten Ydefeldt