Author Topic: 3 Diabolo High Notes, by Arjan  (Read 10917 times)

Sean

• Administrator
3 Diabolo High Notes, by Arjan
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:55:53 am »
Arjan has written some great notes on the fundamentals of learning and practicing high patterns.

...This is the most important basic training exercise to warm up any high session and calibrate your throws: Start from a normal stance and body position, diabolo spinning on the string, and throw it in a controlled circle at a low height, just above the chest. Catch the diabolo, moving your feet, upper body, and arms as little as possible. Throw again. Repeat the throws perfectly for perhaps 10 times in a row and then move to progressively higher heights (2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 diabolo siteswap height)...
Read the full article.

Martijn

Re: 3 Diabolo High Notes, by Arjan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:13:49 pm »
Cool :) Cheers for that Arjan.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Matyz

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:43:05 pm »
Wow, that is somethig.

Mayby my 2d high will finaly lest longer with the moving.

Cheers to Arjan.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:35:44 pm »
I love you Arjan!

I'm gonna use that to start practicing my 3 high!

But I wish I had a gymn =( I can keep up 2 high for a long while inside a gymn but outside I usualy don't even get over 10 catches  :-|

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:38:39 pm »
Good read! Thanks for making somthing like this Arjan. Once I get the time, I want to try to add a little bit to the talk about high patterns with a few tips about being in harmony with your environment, and correcting misaligned diabolos.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:10:27 pm »
I want to try to add a little bit to the talk about high patterns with a few tips about being in harmony with your environment, and correcting misaligned diabolos.

I would like that very very much  ;)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 01:28:49 am »
Once I get the time, I want to try to add a little bit to the talk about high patterns with a few tips about being in harmony with your environment, and correcting misaligned diabolos.
Sounds good. Get in touch with me when you're ready and I'll set you up with an account.

Arjan

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:50:05 pm »
Hello people!

Thanks for your few but kind responses.

I hope the article raises more questions as it gives answers. Feel free to share them here, eventually I will do another article on more advance stuff, the content depending on your questions basically.

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:54:44 am »
Thanks for this, my 3 high is improving now. Once i get them up there i can keep 3 high going for quite a while, my problem is starting it from low. I always end up running after diabolos at the start, then i correct the pattern, have you got any tips for this?

Arjan

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:12:53 am »
Not sure what you're getting at? You have problems starting a high pattern?
What exactly is going wrong?

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:32:36 am »
Not sure what you're getting at? You have problems starting a high pattern?
What exactly is going wrong?
Yeh im having problems starting it (i start from 3 low), every so often i start clean and get a run of about 20 catches, but usually all diabolos go to far to my left, then i have to quickly run to the side to catch them again.

Arjan

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 07:29:40 pm »
Yeh im having problems starting it (i start from 3 low), every so often i start clean and get a run of about 20 catches, but usually all diabolos go to far to my left, then i have to quickly run to the side to catch them again.

Your transition from low to high is probably a bit to rushed or rapid. Try to get a good flow of increasing hight from you low pattern, and eventually you will have to switch to high smoothly.
But, as I haven't seen you try this I can't help. Plus for these articles I'm not planning to mention a lot about low stuff.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 09:55:06 am »
Bit late getting to this, a pretty good read! Cheers for the work gone into it Arjan, thoroughly interesting read!
Alex abuses flys!

Richard

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:47:56 am »
Hi Arjan,

I just wanted to gauge how long it's taken you to master 3 high - I've been working at it so hard and the results are really slow - I think you saw my video of 3 high the other day.

I'm probably putting in about 30 mins every other day into the pattern and working on technique such as throwing from the hand etc.

I've found 3 high to be the hardest thing I've encountered in diabolo.

Any advice/feedback would help.

Rich

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »
Hey guys I have a question here.

I want to start 3 high but I cannot do a trapeze so I will do 2 trow ups.

How long does it takes average to master the trows? To be able to trow 2 up perfect? I'm just curious of what to expect..

Thanks!

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »
Its not a set time Ramon people learn things at different rates just keep at it...
Alex abuses flys!

Arjan

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 04:41:12 pm »
Reply to both broncobob and zwiggelbig, just practice generally does the job.

It took me probably over a year to really master 3d, and I'm still perfecting it every day.

Read the blog, keep paying attention to every detail involved with the pattern.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:00 pm »
Alright.. But just one question..

What do you Arjan think is a better thing to do? Invest all my time in practicing the trapeze start. Or forget about it and learn to trow 2 diabolo's up perfect?

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 05:35:52 pm »
Alright.. But just one question..

What do you Arjan think is a better thing to do? Invest all my time in practicing the trapeze start. Or forget about it and learn to trow 2 diabolo's up perfect?

Hi Zwiggelbig,

Although I am not Arjan I really suggest learning throwing 2 diabolos up perfect for these reasons:
-its a quicker start, you dont have to accelerate 2 diabolos first which takes more time
-it helps if you ever want to learn 4 diabolos
-the diabolos spin slower so its easier to collect them all from the high pattern

Im not sure what the advantages are of trapeze start, I never quite took the time to learn it because it seemed to have disadvantages for me.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 07:19:49 pm »
Hi Zwiggelbig,

Although I am not Arjan I really suggest learning throwing 2 diabolos up perfect for these reasons:
-its a quicker start, you dont have to accelerate 2 diabolos first which takes more time
-it helps if you ever want to learn 4 diabolos
-the diabolos spin slower so its easier to collect them all from the high pattern

Im not sure what the advantages are of trapeze start, I never quite took the time to learn it because it seemed to have disadvantages for me.

Thanks! I'm tottaly gonna forget about trapeze now and just focus on the trow up! Gotta discuss withmyself wich trow I'm gonna use.. The cups or the axle.. Well thanks! I shall put enough time in it so that one day oh yea one day.. I can stand at a convention trowing 4 high and having all those little kids saying 'OOOOEH AAAH ' at me just like they did with Jacob at the bjc  :-D