Author Topic: 3 Diabolo High Notes, by Arjan  (Read 12135 times)

Arjan

Re: 3 Diabolo High Notes, by Arjan
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 09:43:26 pm »
Yeah I myself prefer the 2 handthrow start instead of the trapeze, or stopover start. But sometimes it's good to practice every sort of start you know.

Richard

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 10:15:49 pm »
-the diabolos spin slower so its easier to collect them all from the high pattern

I've found that the trapese start actually makes it easier to correct/keep in the plane because there's one diabolo that is wobbling much less.

One thing that I've been doing lately is practicing the hand throws OVER and OVER.  I've been doing a drill of about 5-10 mins each day just on the throws.  It has mad SUCH a difference. I'm finding I can start the pattern pretty much each time now (because the initial throws are accurate).

If you're struggling, I'd recommend breaking it down and seeing how good you really are at each of the steps.  You don't want to have any inaccuracies in any step of the process.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 10:36:53 pm »
Hey thanks! I'm gonna drill it to then =) Everyday a view minuts just practicing the trows! I shall first start learning to trow up 1 diabolo consitently ( can't even do that yet ) and then just keep on trowing 2 and start 2 high!

Goal: Next year I should be able to shuffle 3 diabolo's and juggle with 3 diabolo's!!!

Richard

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 09:11:41 am »
Hey thanks! I'm gonna drill it to then =) Everyday a view minuts just practicing the trows! I shall first start learning to trow up 1 diabolo consitently ( can't even do that yet ) and then just keep on trowing 2 and start 2 high!

Nice one - It's actually a LOT harder than you might think to get the throw into the right areas consistantly.

You can practice 2 high 2 different ways: 1) have one spinning and throw one up from the hand 2) throw up 2 from the hand. Also, I'd recommend sometimes practicing 1d in the air off a hand throw - it will show you any flaws you may have in your technique.

Hope this helps :)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 10:19:56 am »
Nice one - It's actually a LOT harder than you might think to get the throw into the right areas consistantly.

You can practice 2 high 2 different ways: 1) have one spinning and throw one up from the hand 2) throw up 2 from the hand. Also, I'd recommend sometimes practicing 1d in the air off a hand throw - it will show you any flaws you may have in your technique.

Hope this helps :)

Yea I'm first gonna drill trowing 1d in the air all the time and then move up to 2 when I'm ready =) Gimme a year  :-D

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »
Just got my 3 high throw start working, manage to get about 30 catches before they tilt to much and die. I find that when i do 3 low-high i have quite a low pattern and find it easier to run for long periods of time this way, but when i throw start my pattern is higher. Does anyone no why im doing this? Its not dramatically higher, only by a metre or so, but i just cant lower it for some reason. I no its not a big problem but it was bugging me.

Arjan

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 06:42:53 am »
I have never really heard of this before, but I can maybe give a reason.
Since a low pattern has a much faster pace, you'll be more comfortable with a lower high pattern as when you would just start high and not do the low pattern before.
I myself don't have this problem since I often start high. O and yes I use between 5 or 10 throws always to stabilize the pattern. Then the pattern is often a bit higher.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 04:30:12 pm »
Ugh trow start will take me a long... While before I get that under control..

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 08:04:37 pm »
Thanks arjan, im sure with practice ill get it more comfortable, it just takes me longer to correct the pattern so by the time its corrected i think im too tense. I have a big problem aswell that i only get chance to practice in a gym once a week and its way to windy where i live at the moment to work on high =[[ so each week i seem to loose my progress and its like im starting all over again.
Ugh trow start will take me a long... While before I get that under control..
Cold starting 2 high took me about a year ..... its very hard, i find it harder with sundia suns aswell because they tilt faster with bad technique, i practiced with finesse and circus for about a while then the following week i had it solid on suns =] Once youve got it you dont really loose it.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 08:37:26 pm »
^^ True Dodson.. And the thing is when I can do it! I CAN do it and I won't dislearn it or it just takes me a week before I got it back again. And thats the buety of it! We practice and practice and one day it will all return itself! Thats why I'm hating practicing 5 balls but when I can do it I CAN do it!

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:20 pm »
^^ True Dodson.. And the thing is when I can do it! I CAN do it and I won't dislearn it or it just takes me a week before I got it back again. And thats the buety of it! We practice and practice and one day it will all return itself! Thats why I'm hating practicing 5 balls but when I can do it I CAN do it!
Same with my 5 balls, but i never practice juggling, i dont even own 5 of my own juggling balls. Ive ran 5 balls for about 25 catches when borrowing other peoples. But it comes and goes. Which ive found annoying lol, i got 4 balls overnight, the evening before i couldnt do 2 in one hand properly, put some practice in, next afternoon i was running 4. I was expecting 5 to be similar lol i need to buy another ball

Richard

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 10:50:08 pm »
^^ True Dodson.. And the thing is when I can do it! I CAN do it and I won't dislearn it or it just takes me a week before I got it back again. And thats the buety of it! We practice and practice and one day it will all return itself!

that's exactly what happens with me!  If I let it go for a little while I feel pain, however if I keep the practice flowing, everything just fits. :)  I guess the key is to keep it up all the time.  Also, it's pretty windy where I live at the moment so I sometimes just practice the hand throws - still get someting out of it.

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 12:56:02 pm »
Anyone got any tips on high correction? String corrections are bloody hard to do on suns, i sometimes can correct them if there not spinning very fast, but what the hell do i do when there up to speed lol.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 02:39:12 pm »
Unless the diabolos are spinning slowly, string corrections are gradual. If you want rapid corrections on fast spinning diabolos then you'll need to let them hit your sticks... that isn't easy. I'm able to do string corrections on Suns without too much trouble. In fact they seem more sensitive at slow speeds than narrower axled diabolos. That's more the problem I find. With a throw start, they are extra sensitive to imperfect string alignment at first.

I think of high pattern correction differently than low pattern correction. With low patterns you pick a diabolo that's off and fix it in 1 or maybe 2 quick steps. With high patterns I'm always gradually correcting the diabolos towards a perfect state. If they get too far away from perfect then there's not much you can do (unless you master the stick hitting thing). You can make fairly big corrections on fast spinning diabolos, but you're going to have to make big exaggerated movements for a long time. I find working with 2 high a good way to get used to that.

Arjan

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 05:08:21 pm »
String corrections are fairly easy to learn. But tapping them with the stick is very difficult. I can only do it one way aswell, the far cup is very very hard. My way of handling it is basically avoiding the diabolo's to start tilting or turning. Just by handstarting them correct. 

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 08:45:56 pm »
Unless the diabolos are spinning slowly, string corrections are gradual. If you want rapid corrections on fast spinning diabolos then you'll need to let them hit your sticks... that isn't easy. I'm able to do string corrections on Suns without too much trouble. In fact they seem more sensitive at slow speeds than narrower axled diabolos. That's more the problem I find. With a throw start, they are extra sensitive to imperfect string alignment at first.

I think of high pattern correction differently than low pattern correction. With low patterns you pick a diabolo that's off and fix it in 1 or maybe 2 quick steps. With high patterns I'm always gradually correcting the diabolos towards a perfect state. If they get too far away from perfect then there's not much you can do (unless you master the stick hitting thing). You can make fairly big corrections on fast spinning diabolos, but you're going to have to make big exaggerated movements for a long time. I find working with 2 high a good way to get used to that.
Ahh thanks Sean  :) I didnt realise it was a gradual thing. That should help me a bit, and yeh my throw start is very sketchy because as you said there very sensitive at low speeds, ever so often i get the throws perfect and get a nice long run.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2009, 11:27:09 am »
I correct both ways and my way of stickcorrections is jamming the stick into both cups first for correcting the alignment and then touch just one cup to fix the tilting that usually happens by touching both cups. Stickcorrecting is way easier to do turning ACC and tilt is easier to fix if the diabolos lean forward. Get them too far backwards or turned to the left and it´ll be harder to get them back straight. You can always "precorrect" them if you have a tendency to turn or make make them lean.

briantomhson

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 09:47:15 am »
Very nice post with a ton of informative information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information
instead of the typical “I think” mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.