Author Topic: How does a one-way ball bearing work?  (Read 15938 times)

Arjan

How does a one-way ball bearing work?
« on: November 18, 2004, 04:53:34 pm »
Could someone tell me how a one-way ball bearing work? I`m curious for that.

seán_

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 05:01:10 pm »
Its all done with magnets (sorry couldn't resist)

Just a guess using my extensive engineering training but I would guess a one way ratchet like the rear freewheel on a bicycle.

I've used a superspin but didn't think the owner would have thanked me for taking it apart. David LH would probably have a better idea.

Seán_

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 05:03:43 pm »
So magnets your saying?  :?  Why do I don`t think that is what it is.
Can a one-way ball bearing turn 2 directions? the one stiffer than the other?  :?:

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:07:07 pm »
OK, well I'm not sure I understand everything about diabolo bearing axles... but I imagine they involve your typical ball bearing case with some kind of a ratchet (gotta love google image searches, eh?) mechanism to only allow the axle to be spun in one direction. This means that in the direction of acceleration the axle acts as a normal fixed axle, but in the other direction the ball bearings are able to spin. The ball bearing case consists of many finely polished metal balls held in grease. They generate minimal friction when they rotate.

Then again... maybe it is all magnets...  :roll:

Arjan

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 05:14:23 pm »
Maybe a magnet is used instead of a spring... this way it won`t get lame.. (wrong word) weak spring.

I think indeed a ratched could be it.

kragen

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 12:54:55 am »
I cant see how a ratchet would work, seeing as its got to spin freely else the diabolo will slow down which defeats the whole object of having a ratchet axel in the first place :P
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

David LH

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 05:39:45 pm »
The axel only turns one way, i.e. it spins freely one way and is solid the other. So any movement on the string that would speed up a normal diabolo speeds up the diabolo, but any movement which would slow down a normal diabolo does so in a very small way.

so the benefit of a bearing axel is that the diabolo is not affected as much by adverse movement, counter to the direction of spin.

so a left handed person has the diabolo facing one way, for a right handed person to use it they must flip in over so other side facing away.

hope this helps
So thats how you do three diabolos!

kragen

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 03:50:55 pm »
did I hear that there is going to be a ratchet released for the finesse?
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

-Fred-

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 09:55:40 am »
Quote from: kragen
did I hear that there is going to be a ratchet released for the finesse?

I have buy 3 finesses because there was this futur device but i wait since 2 years now :lol: . I think this isn't still a topical question...

--- Fred ---

Scooby

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 02:03:25 pm »
I tried a YoHo Superspin today..

its not "OMG ITS SOO FAST I DONT EVEN HAVE TO SPEED UP"   i found it to be pretty much the same as a normal Yoho Diabolo except you cant do string climbs  (which when you cant do, you miss terribly)

i would just go for a normal diabolo myself, it just seems like cheating.
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

seán_

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 04:57:47 pm »
try putting multiple wraps on ;)

I noticed a bit of difference when doing 2 with superspins, they 'give' when you expect to take on certain tricks involving wraps.

The real joy of bearing diabolos is ultra long combos and being able to do tricks against the dirction of spin at will.

Nice for vertax as well.

Seán

ps, started to bite the bullet and put a stringclimb in my act, to magic knot/mini-g just to make me feel less of a hack :)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 07:44:26 pm »
Quote from: seán_
ps, started to bite the bullet and put a stringclimb in my act, to magic knot/mini-g just to make me feel less of a hack :)
As long as you're not whipping out your tiny Piccolino/Arlequino and pitching it 4 stories into the air only to not catch it, you're alright.

I can imagine the lack of a string climb might be a bit of a hinderance.  For example with knot stealing, a lil bit of string climb to bring it closer to the handstick is useful and means you don't  have to put as much effort in.  I'd really like to try 2 with them just to see how they play, it's like a lil pandora's box.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

kanyekayne

Ratchet/Bearing Axle's
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:38 am »
hi there, i am planning to make a Bearing axle for my diabolo, but i am unsure how they work, does anyone know how these work, or how i can create one.

??? ??? ???
DiaboloKayne!

Funty

• Donator
Re: Ratchet/Bearing Axle's
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 12:13:37 pm »
buy one then take it apart then put it back together again, voila you've made a bearing diabolo.

Sean

• Administrator
Re: How does a one-way ball bearing work?
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »
Hi kanyekayne, your question reminded me of this old thread which asked the same question. I have merged them.

There are a number of threads on the forum of people who have taken the bearing axles from one diabolo (usually a spinabolo or fly axle) and adapted it for another diabolo (have a look around)... but I think to create one from scratch would require some serious machinery skills.

kanyekayne

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 06:17:39 pm »
Thanks Sean, but i feel i have any peices of machinery to use, as i am free to use any engineering equipment at school, but i just cannot work out the "one-way" principle, and how the bearing works
DiaboloKayne!

kyo

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »
I'll try to explain the best I can..

For a long time it bugged me.. how exactly do the bearings work. So, I finally just went and found the supplier and ask them for CAD drawings :)

Basically you have rollers that spin one direction, with somewhat triangular shaped pieces that ride along the top of them. When you roll the roller backwards, the little triangular pieces get pushed back and lock into place, stopping the rollers by pressing the points into the roller.

That's about the best description I can give without drawings.. it's a pretty clever system.

Kyle

kanyekayne

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 07:30:46 am »
wow, it seems quite simple, thanks, i dont suppose you could send me some of the drawings could you?
DiaboloKayne!

Collin

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 08:44:31 pm »
A sundia fly works well as a bearing Diabolo, because you can do wraps without the diabolo giving (I've done about 10 to 20 in a row!) and Because it can obviously spin longer. It can also perform tricks that usually slow the spin (i.e, a sun to the back and back to the front starting counter-clockwise) without slowing. Its well worth the extra money. ;D  :o  :D
Why are so many diaboloists British anyways?