Author Topic: Should I buy a cheap small diabolo? (was:hey, im new)  (Read 8970 times)

yoyoninja

Should I buy a cheap small diabolo? (was:hey, im new)
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:15:22 am »
hi. i am a yoyoer. i throw 1A (regular yoyo string tricks with one yoyo) , 4A (offstring, where the yoyo isnt connected to the string), and 5A (counterweight on the other end of the string instead of your finger). i throw 4A the most. i heard diabolo is sort of like offstring. i searched diabolo on youtube, and i thought it was really, really cool. i'm trying to find an online store located in the US that sells diabolos that come with sticks and string for $20 or close to that. i'm really tight on cash, and i'm looking for a cheap diabolo in a US store, because i dont have enough money to pay for international shipping. recessions suck!  :(

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Should I buy a cheap small diabolo? (was:hey, im new)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:38:29 am »
Hi and welcome! It's always good to bring some more yoyoers onto the diabolo scene. There's so much unexplored cross-over.

As for a $20 diabolo with sticks and string - you're not going to find a new set that's worth buying for that price unfortunately.

You want a full sized (5 inch) diabolo. Read over this post. Your best bet may be to try and find a used diabolo. Most of the good diabolos rarely get resold because, well, they are good and pretty much last forever. You might, however, find some people looking to sell some earlier versions of the Mister Babache Finesses. There have been 4 revisions of the Finesse (the 4th still isn't widely available), but the earlier versions would be just fine. The differences are minor and not something you would notice if you're just starting out.

I'd look in the last page or so of this thread:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4773.132
and perhaps post what you're looking for. Chloe mentioned a circus diabolo for sale in the US. That would be a good one.

Otherwise, you will be far better off saving your money and investing in one of the major brand 5 inch diabolos, some proper sticks (probably aluminum - especially if you want to save money), and some proper string (probably of the fluorescent variety).

As for US shops, take a look here:
http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/index.php?country=223
and find something nearby.

yoyoninja

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:17:38 am »
all the shops in my state are gone... i don't mind ordering online. as long as the online store takes prepaid credit cards, and it is in the US.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:02:26 am »
I really hate mentioning just one shop, but I'd say http://jugglingstore.com/ probably has the biggest online diabolo selection within the US.

I can't emphasize enough waiting until you save the money for a full sized diabolo. There are lots of other smaller diabolos, which serve their purpose, but if you're at all serious about learning the diabolo you want a 5 inch one.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:40:46 am »
try yoyosam.com

they have diabs. and i have to agree, make sure you save up for a nice 5 inch diabolo. i believe that they sell sundia suns there
can't believe its not butter

yoyoninja

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:56:59 am »
i found a millenium starter pack that comes with a millenium diabolo, hand sticks, and extra string at http://www.yospin.com for $25. do you guys know the shipping rate for that store? i can't find it on the website. maybe im just not looking hard enough.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 08:45:13 am »
Hi fellow yoyoer. Great to have you here. I think that the $25 bucks for millenium is robbery. I would definitely recommend Finesse from Mr. Babache, Circus from Henry's or any of the Sundia products (including the bearing ones, which you might find interesting because of your yoyo background).

I would as well save a little money and get a good 5" diabolo. The diabolo prices are so low and they literally last for ever so you won't need to buy that many diabolos in your life. ;) So listen to Sean. He has experience from this.

If you really, and i mean really, have to get diabolo now with your money. You could try to get your hands on duncans diabolo which comes with sticks (and a bearing system you can switch on and off). You can find one from http://www.yoyoguy.com/PN/DUD01/Whats-New:-Yo-Yos/Phoenix-Diabolo

And those shipping costs you probably already know. Must say though, the duncan one isn't the most popular diabolo around. So preferably save the money and do as Sean said.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

yoyoninja

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 05:28:21 pm »
why is the millenium bad? I think its a mister babachi. And i added it to my cart on yospin (even though i have no money) to see shipping. Under my order, it said subtotal: $24.99 then under that, it said total: $24.99. Does anyone here know the shipping costs?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 05:47:25 pm »
why is the millenium bad?
Because it's not a full-sized 5 inch diabolo! Actually as smaller diabolos go you could do far worse than the Millenium. However, if you are at all serious about progressing beyond the very very basics you want to get a full sized diabolo. I think it's the greatest disservice there is to the diabolo that there are so many cheap small diabolos for sale. For the most part they just make people think that the diabolo is a small toy like thing that is impossible to do anything with. They serve their purpose well in terms of giving a young kid a toy to play with for a bit, but if you're at all serious about going beyond the basics (which I assume you are or you wouldn't be here) you'll get much more enjoyment and much less frustration out of one of the major brand 5 inch diabolos. Juggling store product descriptions, in general, drive me insane. Just because a store describes a certain diabolo as "professional" doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you want to know what any "professional" is using, it's this: a 5 inch diabolo by one of the major brands. Which one doesn't matter, but it's 5 inches dammit.[1]

Seriously, for ~$20 more you can get a diabolo that's going to last you a lifetime and that you'll never outgrow. Surely somehow, by doing some kind of odd job you can scrape up that extra money. The alternative is to buy a 4 inch diabolo now and either (1) get frustrated with it and give up or (2) quickly buy an additional 5 inch diabolo.

Does anyone here know the shipping costs?
Your best bet would be to contact the shop and ask.
 1. The minor exception is in the case of a couple very small, very young diabolo stars that use 4 inch diabolos for a while because the 5 inch variety is just too big for them. But they soon move on to 5 inch diabolos.

seán_

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 06:30:10 pm »
why is the millenium bad? I think its a mister babachi
Mc Donalds has a cheeseburger as well as a quarter with cheese.
kite company's have plastic kites with spiderman  on as well as kites capable of lifting you of the ground
etc.

On occaisions I sell diabolos and where possible I'd try and suggest against that particular model unless you are particularly small, say under 10, more than likey female as it's very light and hard to do anything serious with (even down to it being a bit awkward to get going/throw in the air). Pretty sure if you feel diabolo is for you you will soon be getting a 'real' diabolo. Doesn't the excited bunny rabbit on the millenium packaging tell you  anything?

Some of the most respected names in Diabolo (and Mike :P ) have suggested against it. There's no money going into their pocket for this, just years of experience and a wish for somebody to become a diaboloist and not get frustrated/out of pocket.

look for a 5" if you can get the money together (for the reasons given above.
Failing that if you are looking to save try for (probabaly in this order)
Henrys vision (available with ally sticks for a good price)
babache tornado
henrys Jazz
Henrys beech
babache harlequin medium
possibly a yoho if you can find one (try toys r us / tk max)

yoyoninja

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 08:36:37 pm »
on jugglingstore.com, i found a henry's beach diabolo with handsticks, string, and instructions for $20. its 4.8 inches in length, so its close to 5. http://www.jugglingstore.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=382. and i live in boomingdale, illinois, which is by chicago. how long would it take on priority mail shipping? i didn't order it yet, cuz i have no money  :(

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »
Doesn't the excited bunny rabbit on the millenium packaging tell you anything?
Ha. Took the words right out of Dave's mouth.

yoyoninja, contact the shop to ask about shipping. Only they really know. The 5 inches refers to the diameter, not the length. And it's not just the diameter but the overall weight and rotational inertia (and longevity of the diabolo). But I'm going to stop there lest I start sounding like a broken record. Seán_'s advice is good, he knows his stuff. I'd listen.

yoyoninja

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:15:26 pm »
so since sean_ suggests the henry's beach, i guess i'm getting that. but i heard the anti gravity is better than the beach

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 11:40:04 pm »
Nooooo! Not the anti-gravity. Sean_ suggests not getting a cheap smaller diabolo but if you absolutely must then you could do worse than the Beach. This is getting exhausting. :P

yoyoninja

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 11:47:45 pm »
cool i guess. but i heard the beach shatters if you drop it. is that only for high throws? because i wont be throwing very high at all.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 12:05:35 am »
Some of the most respected names in Diabolo (and Mike :P )

lol, thanks a lot sean_
can't believe its not butter

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 06:24:48 am »
Well by the time the beach shatters you don't even want to own it anymore. ;) Circus, Finesse, Taibolo, Sundia Sun, Fly, Shining. Those are the ones you'll eventually start using like everyone else has. Resist or not. Check out the "Favorite Diabolo Poll 2009" http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=5949.0 (there's also polls from 2008, 2007) to see what the best diaboloers in the world are using. Over 200 people voted once a year and results are free for you. That will tell exactly which diabolo you should get.

Diaboloing and yoyoing differ. Usually yoyoers get many yoyo's since there are much more factors that make a good yoyo. You might use different yoyo's for different set of tricks with different response settings etc. Compared to diabolos where you just need one diabolo and you can do pretty much everything if it's a good diabolo. Also the prices are really cheap. If i want a pro level yoyo it's probably more than 100$. If i want a pro level diabolo it's around 30-35$. That's a price that everyone can afford.

That said. I've given everything i had to this topic. Let me know what you did buy and let me know how much you like it after giving it a couple of spins. ;)
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Martijn

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 01:18:16 pm »
If you buy a crappy 4" or 5" diabolo now, you'll soon want to change to a decent 5" diabolo anyways, which would only add up in costs!

Welcome to the forum!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

yoyoninja

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 07:47:00 pm »
i actually forgot what day it was. My birthday is in like 2 months, and i always get a lot of money from people. So i guess i'll buy a beach now, and a better diabolo after my birthday. The beach will tide me over for a few months.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 07:51:28 pm »
Don't forget to factor in money for proper (aluminum or carbon fiber) sticks and string (fluorescent coloured). At least eventually. It makes a big difference.