Author Topic: Diabolo @ IJA 2009  (Read 4021 times)

tomangleberger

• Donator
Diabolo @ IJA 2009
« on: July 19, 2009, 01:37:33 am »
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

With the Sharpes teaching three workshops (2d, 3d, passing), a Taiwanese delegation and lots of cool diabolists there it was a great week.

BUT, the competitions were so loaded with diabolo acts (and under-filled with toss jugglers) that the non-diabolists turned UGLY, bringing in a power saw to slice up a diabolo at one show.

Maybe even worse I missed several of the best diabolo moments, including the Sharpes passing 6 and Liu Wen Yeh winning the Juniors Stage Championship. He is small but amazing. I did get to see TPEC put on a crazy Superman-themed team act.

My highlight was not dropping in the 1 Diabolo Prop competition. Just being in the competition with winner Lin Yen-Hsiang was crazy. He has incredible skills, speed, style and I'm just a slow, graceless guy with a ring and a diabolo.

The Sharpes were great -- coming to a 1d breakout session on top of their 3 workshops and performing in various shows.

Here's a quick medley of some diabolo highlights. Warning: Everything about this video is terrible except for the tricks. If you only knew how bad the lighting was in that cave convention center.

Diabolo @ ija2009 - Beautiful Tricks in an Ugly Gym

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Diabolo @ IJA 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:54:45 am »
Ha - nice. Thanks for that. What amazes me is the shear number of ugly convention floor carpets in the U.S. ;)

...bringing in a power saw to slice up a diabolo at one show.

Seriously!?

Looks like there was some serious diabolo talent there.

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:04:16 am »
Seriously!?

I'm completely serious. It was accompanied by them shouting "ENOUGH F-ING DIABOLO." Plus there was endless grumbling and derrogating on the gym floor.

But on the bright side, there were lots of kids buying diabolos or working on their first tricks...

Richard

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:19:11 am »
I'm completely serious. It was accompanied by them shouting "ENOUGH F-ING DIABOLO." Plus there was endless grumbling and derrogating on the gym floor.

How lame!  For years, the diabolo has always been a minor prop at juggling clubs compared to clubs and balls.  Now, due to the advent of the internet, so many more people are picking it up over the standard juggling types.

Anyone that is angry about someone else having fun with another prop should re-evaluate why they are juggling and remember why they got into it in the first place.

Arjan

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:31:06 am »
Looked like a great convention! I love the 2 D finger/hand grind thing!

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:52:06 pm »
Interest in the IJA seems to be thin, but...

AussieDiabolo caught a bit of Sharpe action I missed: 4Low briefly at about 2:55. With a 4 high run at the end of the video -- I think, it's a little hard to see.

IJA 2009

If you want to watch the whole thing you'll see me doing my 2d ring trick, Julian displaying his clever applause sign trick during a 2d run and more of the amazing Liu Wen Yeh... (he around 3:00)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:31:32 pm »
Thanks - there were some pretty sick tricks in there. Escalator passing! Amazing ball spinning at the end too.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:53:51 pm »
I really enjoyed the videos, it seemed like it was a fun convention. So wish I could have gone! Next year though, and Im going to try to compete in the stage show... hopefully at least get bronze.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 05:57:23 pm »
Amazing ball spinning at the end too.

The ball spinning was Michael Chirrick, of the Brunn clan. He was doing some crazy stuff.

A highlight I didn't get on tape was a dude spinning three small balls on three fingers of one hand.

Draco -- I wish you'd been there, too. And I won't make it next year ... but I hope you compete.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 06:12:28 pm »
A highlight I didn't get on tape was a dude spinning three small balls on three fingers of one hand.

Sounds like Sean Blue - definitely one of this tricks that he did at the Scottish JC a couple of years ago.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:45:16 pm »
i almost have a guarantee from me parents that i can go next year. sounds like a fun time. any idea where it will be held?
can't believe its not butter

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 01:20:23 am »
i almost have a guarantee from me parents that i can go next year. sounds like a fun time. any idea where it will be held?

Next year is Sparks, Nevada. Impossible for me, but I hope possible for you.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 02:38:32 am »
nevada? guess  cant make it. the "guarantee" was on the east coast. i wish boston had a larger juggling community. and the diaboloists here seem to not like meet ups. because no one wants to talk back to me!
can't believe its not butter