Author Topic: Diabolo Video Tips  (Read 3589 times)

Toddyupa

Diabolo Video Tips
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:31:06 am »
I'd like too know a few things because Im going to create something for us all too see very soon...

Where Do The Better Tricks Go? I would have thought chuck a good one as the first, last and randomly some in the middle, but what do you people with experience do?

Where do you film? Do you film in the same place more than once?

Is iMovie HD good for editing? I've heard HD isn't overly good, but for a not so advanced editor is it good enough?

Appreciate your help
pretentious 12 year old

Hathaway

• Donator
Re: Diabolo Video Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:41:32 am »
Where do the better tricks go? It really depends on your style of video, but most people put better tricks through out, a couple at the beginning to grab the attention a few throughout to keep the attention and a couple at the end for the wow factor. However if the video/tricks aren't up to it you may not keep peoples attention throughout the video. Best thing to say on this one is have a look at the videos you like and see how they have done it.

Where do you film? Some people do use the same location, most people don't in a proper video (yeah, take that crackers) Best thing to say on this one is have a look at the videos you like and see how they have done it.

Is iMovie HD good for editing? Assuming that you are going to just be putting the clips together I believe iMovie is more than ok. Unless you are planning on doing some in depth rotoscoping/effects work I wouldn't worry to much about better programs right now. Quite a lot of vidoes, Langerz/Marko (might be wrong)/Toby and I, all use iMovie or windows movie maker.

Now I have said that watching other peoples videos and using the ideas, should in theory lead to a good video, however you may be able to come up with a clever way of putting the video together that no one has used, Ofek did an ok walking idea, we tried an idea (that we didn't steal off of any other video) in magic wall, Baghead had a documentary style, Sean included a frame of him doing an s-fan whilst doing other tricks on the main part of the screen.

Theres plenty of camera angles and styles of shots/editing that have not been explored yet, so try something new as there is no set layout for a video. Also there are other threads on this subject that are worth a look through.
Alex abuses flys!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 06:21:16 pm »
Where Do The Better Tricks Go? Start strong and end strong. Try and time the best tricks so they build with the music too.

Where do you film? In most cases variety is important... although it can also work having 1 interesting location. Most of the time I'd go for a number of interesting locations that make it clear to see what you're doing. Get creative.

Is iMovie HD good for editing? Some people complained about the interface of iMovie 08 and thought iMovie 09 or 07 were better. 08 was just a bit different. Any of them will be absolutely fine. It's how you use the tool not the tool itself. In fact, the learning curve will be much shorter for something like iMovie than a more complex (and ultimately powerful) piece of software like Final Cut. Plus iMovie should be included with a Mac. Final Cut isn't cheap. If you're just getting into editing anything more complicated will probably also be an exercise in frustration.

Did you read this little bit that I wrote?
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6698.msg80688#msg80688

And of course all of Martijn's blog posts about making videos?
http://diabolo.ca/audiovisual-design/

Toddyupa

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 04:46:20 am »
Thanks! I seem to have it all covered, it ended out i knew most of the answers anyway. It should be out some time late September (Around MJC of collab).

I've been taking notes at the creativness of some videos. Ofeks walking, Magic Wall, Even M.A.L.T.E.
pretentious 12 year old

Toddyupa

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 04:50:31 am »
Also, I have this camera ( http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012307pentaxoptiom50.asp ) Is it good enough? And importantly, Is it good enough for the collab? If you look at http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6955.msg83499#msg83499 it's the same camera. Really need it to be, it's on of the best we have.
pretentious 12 year old

Toddyupa

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:39:08 am »
Where Do The Better Tricks Go? Start strong and end strong. Try and time the best tricks so they build with the music too.

End strong, I do agree, but in videos Fields, it's seems really good to end by kind of stuffing up.
pretentious 12 year old

Richard

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:51 pm »
I think it's way better to film outside.  Unless you've got some really good lighting inside, normal lights just make the picture too dark.  Also, the inside of a living room normally isn't that interesting.

Another thing for filming is to try to ALWAYS have the camera on (if possible).  It's natural to stiffen up and get self-conscious when the camera is on.  Therefore, if you're used to it always being there, you'll be more comfortable and the tricks will flow a lot better.  :)