Author Topic: Mixing Diabolo Cups  (Read 15750 times)

MattF

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« on: November 18, 2004, 05:41:46 pm »
ok so today i got bored and so decided to get my 2 Henry's Circus Diabolos (one yellow and one purple), take them apart and switch the cups over so they had half yellow & half purple. I must say they look pretty cool.

Does anyone else do this?

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 05:44:58 pm »
Yeah I've tried it... you have to be careful with the finesses - some of the colours have different weights, so the diabolos will never stay straight. Nothing more annoying than two diabolos that keep turning in opposite directions.

Martijn

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 06:00:00 pm »
Yeah, my blue and black Henry's Circus are also mixed up that way. A picture:

download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 06:01:42 pm »
I used to use a hideous diabolo for years. it wasn't until Matt_H used it and pointed out that it was constantly turning did I notice. I must have been subconsiously correcting it all those years. anyway I got a circus and have improved so much since then. When I think I could have bought a circus for a few more pounds when I bought that piece of crap...

Anyway, the Henrys should be ok.

I am cosidering buying a light and dark henrys so that when I swap the cups I'd have a choice in what could be seen. so twowhites for a dark background, two blacks for a light one, white and black if  I want to diferentiate when doing two. (if I can get one orange and black would be my choice)

Antonin uses a mixed set of finesse in a FYYA vid (orange and yellow) I assume these colours might be matched

Seán_

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 06:04:40 pm »
Quote from: seán_
Antonin uses a mixed set of finesse in a FYYA vid (orange and yellow) I assume these colours might be matched

I think that is Remi, not Antonin. Antonin uses 3 yellow or a red, yellow, and green (just to show what a geek I am and demonstrate my knowledge of diabolo video trivia ;) )

I've met Remi - he definitely is the one who uses yellow and orange mixed finesses.

Arjan

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:13:53 pm »
Indeed, some diaboloist are just famous for their diabolo`s  8)

Paul

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 06:16:11 pm »
Anyone got any ideas which Finesse colours are heavier? I tried this with my Pink and Yellow. one of the mixed colours worked fine the other however had a turning problem. i think maybe one of the cups on the yellow is less stable than the other. it is a touch more wobbly than the pink, but hey. Who knows!!!   Anyone own any accurate scales?????
Peace

Arjan

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 06:18:50 pm »
I have no idea... but hey.. this maybe explian why some guys use a particulair color of finesse. Like Antonin. He uses yellow most of the time I believe.

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 06:24:56 pm »
Quote from: Paul
Anyone own any accurate scales?????

I checked before when I had access to an accurate scale. There were differences between various cups up to 1 gram, but it didn't seem to make a difference in the alignment. I couldn't tell a difference necessarily between different colours. Perhaps it is more a question of the distribution of mass or density than mass alone.

Paul

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 06:33:22 pm »
I read that the two cups for the finesse were always weighed and marked to ensure that they are identical before assembly. Each cup is apparrently slightly different. Maybe this is the case here. Cups that arent suited because of slightly different properties
Peace

kragen

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 12:58:40 am »
im about to get a second harlequin and im wondering what color would go with my current white harlequin! :)

There are 2 other white harlequins (bought the same time as mine), where I juggle, so im gonna mix the cups so I know which are mine.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 01:36:41 am »
My understanding is that the different coloured harlequins differ in weight. Not only would you not want to switch the cups, but I've heard some people go so far as to recommend not buying two different colours even if you aren't going to mix the cups.

kragen

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 10:19:06 am »
ah... a good point.

A friend has a harlequin of very different weight from mine, I thought it was just due to wear though.
Justin

MattF

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 09:05:56 pm »
I have 3 harlequins now; a black and pink, a blue and yellow, and a black and white.

The black and pink & blue and yellow are very similar in weight, but the black and white one is quite considerably heavier. Not only that, it can bounce wheras the the other 2 can't.

kragen

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 03:48:52 pm »
yay our club is finally gotten round to ordering, the reductions of the prices on the webiste are amazing, so ive decided to get a loaf (probably gonna be about £100 worth) of stuf while I can get it cheap.

As one of the main things I want are two diabolo, I decided to get two green ones, firstly because of concerns with the diabolo being different weights, and secondly cus two diabolo different random colors might not look as good as two the same color :P
Justin

Ed

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 07:30:17 pm »
I have had a red finesse generation 2 for a while now and recently i bought a yellow i wanted to change the cups to have them diferent colours but when it came to undoing the yellow one it wouldn't undo :evil: .

I have spent absolutely ages trying to undo it but it just wont undo. Can anyone give any tips.

Chiok

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 11:28:28 pm »
Quote from: Ed

I have spent absolutely ages trying to undo it but it just wont undo. Can anyone give any tips.

Yeah, don't force it, you don't want to bugger up the threads on the bolts or the threads on the holes.  If it wont come undone with a *reasonable* amount of effort, then it's probably best leaving it.
I've been trying for ages to take the cups off of my beaches but I can't seem to get a ratchet bit that can reach into the middle.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 01:24:30 am »
I had trouble with mine, and discovered that I had the wrong size allen wrench (by like, a real, real small bit). got the right sizeat a store, and it undid fine. go to a hardware store if you aren't sure. we have yellow red and orange (2 of each), and have 2 of each pair. looks cool no matter what.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

lemony

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 01:27:52 am »
i agree with what xfireblade said, be very carefulwith this... but the allen keys that come with finesse axles are pretty short, i found it hard to get the bolts out of mine so i used a piece of steel tubing i found in the garage to give me slightly better torque and got them off no probs.
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Spink

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 12:47:56 pm »
I have just mixed my black and orange circus' up with no problems :D
3rd Base + Hubstacks =