Author Topic: Mixing Diabolo Cups  (Read 16852 times)

MattF

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« on: November 18, 2004, 05:41:46 pm »
ok so today i got bored and so decided to get my 2 Henry's Circus Diabolos (one yellow and one purple), take them apart and switch the cups over so they had half yellow & half purple. I must say they look pretty cool.

Does anyone else do this?

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 05:44:58 pm »
Yeah I've tried it... you have to be careful with the finesses - some of the colours have different weights, so the diabolos will never stay straight. Nothing more annoying than two diabolos that keep turning in opposite directions.

Martijn

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 06:00:00 pm »
Yeah, my blue and black Henry's Circus are also mixed up that way. A picture:

download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 06:01:42 pm »
I used to use a hideous diabolo for years. it wasn't until Matt_H used it and pointed out that it was constantly turning did I notice. I must have been subconsiously correcting it all those years. anyway I got a circus and have improved so much since then. When I think I could have bought a circus for a few more pounds when I bought that piece of crap...

Anyway, the Henrys should be ok.

I am cosidering buying a light and dark henrys so that when I swap the cups I'd have a choice in what could be seen. so twowhites for a dark background, two blacks for a light one, white and black if  I want to diferentiate when doing two. (if I can get one orange and black would be my choice)

Antonin uses a mixed set of finesse in a FYYA vid (orange and yellow) I assume these colours might be matched

Seán_

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 06:04:40 pm »
Quote from: seán_
Antonin uses a mixed set of finesse in a FYYA vid (orange and yellow) I assume these colours might be matched

I think that is Remi, not Antonin. Antonin uses 3 yellow or a red, yellow, and green (just to show what a geek I am and demonstrate my knowledge of diabolo video trivia ;) )

I've met Remi - he definitely is the one who uses yellow and orange mixed finesses.

Arjan

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:13:53 pm »
Indeed, some diaboloist are just famous for their diabolo`s  8)

Paul

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 06:16:11 pm »
Anyone got any ideas which Finesse colours are heavier? I tried this with my Pink and Yellow. one of the mixed colours worked fine the other however had a turning problem. i think maybe one of the cups on the yellow is less stable than the other. it is a touch more wobbly than the pink, but hey. Who knows!!!   Anyone own any accurate scales?????
Peace

Arjan

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 06:18:50 pm »
I have no idea... but hey.. this maybe explian why some guys use a particulair color of finesse. Like Antonin. He uses yellow most of the time I believe.

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 06:24:56 pm »
Quote from: Paul
Anyone own any accurate scales?????

I checked before when I had access to an accurate scale. There were differences between various cups up to 1 gram, but it didn't seem to make a difference in the alignment. I couldn't tell a difference necessarily between different colours. Perhaps it is more a question of the distribution of mass or density than mass alone.

Paul

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 06:33:22 pm »
I read that the two cups for the finesse were always weighed and marked to ensure that they are identical before assembly. Each cup is apparrently slightly different. Maybe this is the case here. Cups that arent suited because of slightly different properties
Peace

kragen

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 12:58:40 am »
im about to get a second harlequin and im wondering what color would go with my current white harlequin! :)

There are 2 other white harlequins (bought the same time as mine), where I juggle, so im gonna mix the cups so I know which are mine.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Sean

• Administrator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 01:36:41 am »
My understanding is that the different coloured harlequins differ in weight. Not only would you not want to switch the cups, but I've heard some people go so far as to recommend not buying two different colours even if you aren't going to mix the cups.

kragen

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 10:19:06 am »
ah... a good point.

A friend has a harlequin of very different weight from mine, I thought it was just due to wear though.
Justin

MattF

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 09:05:56 pm »
I have 3 harlequins now; a black and pink, a blue and yellow, and a black and white.

The black and pink & blue and yellow are very similar in weight, but the black and white one is quite considerably heavier. Not only that, it can bounce wheras the the other 2 can't.

kragen

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 03:48:52 pm »
yay our club is finally gotten round to ordering, the reductions of the prices on the webiste are amazing, so ive decided to get a loaf (probably gonna be about £100 worth) of stuf while I can get it cheap.

As one of the main things I want are two diabolo, I decided to get two green ones, firstly because of concerns with the diabolo being different weights, and secondly cus two diabolo different random colors might not look as good as two the same color :P
Justin

Ed

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 07:30:17 pm »
I have had a red finesse generation 2 for a while now and recently i bought a yellow i wanted to change the cups to have them diferent colours but when it came to undoing the yellow one it wouldn't undo :evil: .

I have spent absolutely ages trying to undo it but it just wont undo. Can anyone give any tips.

Chiok

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 11:28:28 pm »
Quote from: Ed

I have spent absolutely ages trying to undo it but it just wont undo. Can anyone give any tips.

Yeah, don't force it, you don't want to bugger up the threads on the bolts or the threads on the holes.  If it wont come undone with a *reasonable* amount of effort, then it's probably best leaving it.
I've been trying for ages to take the cups off of my beaches but I can't seem to get a ratchet bit that can reach into the middle.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 01:24:30 am »
I had trouble with mine, and discovered that I had the wrong size allen wrench (by like, a real, real small bit). got the right sizeat a store, and it undid fine. go to a hardware store if you aren't sure. we have yellow red and orange (2 of each), and have 2 of each pair. looks cool no matter what.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

lemony

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 01:27:52 am »
i agree with what xfireblade said, be very carefulwith this... but the allen keys that come with finesse axles are pretty short, i found it hard to get the bolts out of mine so i used a piece of steel tubing i found in the garage to give me slightly better torque and got them off no probs.
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Spink

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 12:47:56 pm »
I have just mixed my black and orange circus' up with no problems :D
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

el_grimley

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 01:03:24 pm »
I have blue and yellow Jazz, no probs for me

and soon now that I have a job I will have blue and yellow circus

G
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

Martijn

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 03:35:12 pm »
I mixed my red and white Finesse G2, and they are very stable. I don't even notice a small difference. Maybe that has to do with the magic of the G2 :wink:

Chiok

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 11:15:41 pm »
As was said earlier in this thread, diabolo cups are weighed, balanced and marked so that similar cups can go together, any that are quite a bit out during production get set aside for another similar one.  So the diabolo as a whole would be balanced, but the weights or distribution of weight could be different for any cup.

Chiok

Marc

• VotW Contributor
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 04:11:27 pm »
Me and my brother bought 4 henrys circus, yellow. Blue, Red and turquoise. We mixed them all up so when you are doing 2 non of the cups are the same colour, they are very stable.

schlanger

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 05:48:33 pm »
when i first got my finnesses i tried to mix them up not realizing that one was generation 1 and the other gen.2. one of them kept turning when doing two diabolos and i never knew why.

only later did i find out they were different diabolos.  :(
schlanger is upon us

Jonnyh

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 09:12:21 pm »
Maybe that has to do with the magic of the G2

heheh, i agree with this! I currently only own an orange Finesse G2 and a Red Henry's Circus (so obviously no cup swapping  :P ). I am planning on purchasing another 2 Finesses (in white) and may then do some cup swapping for 2 diabolos. Hope it'll work...

Martijn

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 10:09:04 pm »
Hmm, I know I said that... but Arjan did notice some difference with my mixed Finesses. He found them turning while diaboloing, very unstable. White Finesses tend to be a little bit heavier, so I wouldn't mix the cups... of course, you can try it. But if they become unstable, you know it has to do with the mixing.

Matt_

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 10:25:42 pm »
in diabology, they use a white and red mixed G2...i dont really know why im bringing that up, maybe they had problems but it wasnt evident on video...

but i do think that would be true, i havent tried it myself, but since the white G2 is opaque and the others are translucent maybe that has something to do with it...

Jonnyh

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 11:51:52 pm »
Hmm, I know I said that... but Arjan did notice some difference with my mixed Finesses. He found them turning while diaboloing, very unstable. White Finesses tend to be a little bit heavier, so I wouldn't mix the cups... of course, you can try it. But if they become unstable, you know it has to do with the mixing.

Ok, cheers for the info Martijn, may try it anyway if i ever get bored enough.
Slightly off subject, does anyone know why there is no such thing as a black finesse? (Unless, of course, you stick it in some black paint. Which doesn't come across as very advisable.

Martijn

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 10:48:31 am »
Quote from: Jonnyh
Does anyone know why there is no such thing as a black finesse?

MB doesn't make black Finesses, it's as simple as that. And besides, you won't be able to see them very well, so I don't bother :P

Jonnyh

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 01:05:46 pm »
True. I think I much prefer white anyway...

Marmu

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 05:57:53 am »
Quote from: Sean
Yeah I've tried it... you have to be careful with the finesses - some of the colours have different weights, so the diabolos will never stay straight. Nothing more annoying than two diabolos that keep turning in opposite directions.

Really? I was thinking of buying another Finesse and try to do 2d with them but I guess I have to buy another blue one since I already own a blue Finesse. Which colours the heaviest Finesses? Just thought that maybe a small weight difference wont make that much a difference in doin 2d. ?

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2006, 06:15:21 am »
Quote from: Marmu
Quote from: Sean

Really? I was thinking of buying another Finesse and try to do 2d with them but I guess I have to buy another blue one since I already own a blue Finesse. Which colours the heaviest Finesses? Just thought that maybe a small weight difference wont make that much a difference in doin 2d. ?

Maybe you should read the whole topic...  :wink:

Chiok

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 06:06:01 pm »
But at least you found a relevant thread to post your question in.  We appreciate that.

As for getting the same colour, don't think that the weight will be an issue.  I believe the tolerances on the weight of the Finesse are tight enough that you shouldn't notice any difference when doing 2D.  Some may also say that having the same colours looks nicer, but then you don't have the option of swapping cups.

Like has been said, if you swap the cups and find yourself having difficulties (mainly things turning when you don't want), switch them back.  Or get another diaboloist to have a go if you can.

I was planning on getting two different colour light kits so that I could have two different colours since they audience only see one side anyway.

Chiok

Matt_

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2006, 06:38:37 pm »
not 100% true Chiok, the light kits illuminate the cups very well; the cups will be different colors. of course, if the person is standing right in front of you (getting a 2D view) then yeah, they wont tell. but at any angle, there will be different colored cups....

Chiok

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2006, 10:27:42 pm »
Well, maybe I'll only turn on one side of each diabolo :-P

But point taken, if I do turn on both so I can see each one, then yeah, they'll see a different colour at the back than at the front.  It's nice to have variety though, don't ya think?  Not sure why though, everything else would be dark...

Chiok

Marco

Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2006, 09:40:31 am »
I have mixed my orange and green jazz, and they are working (least for me :D)

Matt_

• Donator
Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 09:10:16 pm »
Quote from: Chiok
Well, maybe I'll only turn on one side of each diabolo :-P

But point taken, if I do turn on both so I can see each one, then yeah, they'll see a different colour at the back than at the front.  It's nice to have variety though, don't ya think?  Not sure why though, everything else would be dark...

Chiok

i used to be really big on the light kits. i got one and showed it to my friends, they were really impressed. i was about to get another one, but i honestly could NOT decide whether to get the same color or different colors, and you know...i just lost interest. bummer.

and the fact that the washers are incredibly easy to lose (because i only have 3 G2s, so i take them on and off a lot) is really frustrating.

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
Re: Mixing Diabolo Cups
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 09:43:19 pm »
Sorry to re-open an old topic :-[

I have 2 finesse G2s with swapped green and blue cups. I have been thinking about getting a third finesse for some time and I want to get it so that it fits in with the ones I have already. So I was wondering, is it possible to buy separate finesse cups or pre-swapped finesse? I have heard a rumour that there is a french site that you can do this from but I have no idea what the site is and if it even exists. Can anyone help me? ???

P.S  I can't afford to buy a fourth and swap the cups :)
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Marc

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 10:05:02 pm »
I'm not sure if you can do it with finesse G2s but i know you can buy separate coloured cups for circus's at www.henrys-online.de

k2pek2

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2007, 09:22:12 pm »
i just mixed cups for two new unbalanced diabolos, namely higgins brothers goa moon diabolo, and now i have two new BALANCED diabolos instead of the unbalanced ones they sent me originally. YAY! mixing the cups worked for me this time. now i can learn 2d.  ???
-John

tRPz*

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2007, 08:56:16 pm »
Well ive got 3 circuses at mo but when i had 2
i mixed the purple and turquiose looks pritty good
and there wasnt a difference atall

but with my mates finesses when the mixed they seemed
slightly unstable.. mabey it was just me

that was green and yellow mixed
_            _        _     _
ll_Grammer_Street_Elite_ll

stryju

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2007, 06:38:47 pm »
i recently got red+black circus form jurgen (black ultra light tracks) an it looks superb!

Kingsid3

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »
Just thought i would add, I have mixed my blue and green g3 cups together fine, i beilve if the markings on the rims are the same it will be fine.

Will G

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 09:10:20 pm »
Will green and orange finesse cups be equal