Author Topic: 2d advice, Taibolo vs Circus  (Read 2609 times)

Clinic842

2d advice, Taibolo vs Circus
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:16 am »
Hello

I just got a clear taibolo as a present from my sister.
I already own a Henry's circus and I want to start off with 2d, I was wondering, would it be better to buy a second circus or a second Taibolo?

Cheers!

(I thought this might be a very specific question so I started a new topic on it)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: 2d advice, Taibolo vs Circus
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:48:19 am »
It really depends, either will be good. Some people have said they preferred the weight of the circus for learning 2 but it's personal preference.
Behind your back is your front.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:53:27 pm »
1. Do you already have plastic hubs for the circus? (If not then I'd lean toward the Taibolos)
2. Do you diabolo a lot over pavement? (If so then I'd lean towards the Circuses)
3. Most importantly: Do you prefer one over the other already?

If you don't know which you prefer yet, then why not spend a bit more time with them first. You could even dabble a bit in trying 2d with them and seeing which you prefer. Just don't do that for too long because it's going to make the learning process that much harder with 2 differently weighted diabolos.

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:31:15 pm »
taibolos,they are...special...the diabolos are flowing when you´re doing 2d...its...magic

at lest for me  ::) ::)

mykill

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:50:14 pm »
take the one you prefer atm :)
i personally use taibolos. and they're very good. nvr tried a circus though.
This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★

Mr.D

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:09:22 pm »
Taibolos are lighter, so you get longer playtime before your arms fall off, and the plastic cups makes correcting the daibolos less difficult. The Circus' are more stable(?) and spin longer because of the extra weight.

Personally, I love my Taibolos. They are stable and easy to correct, and not too heavy to play with for hours ;)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

Mediaboy13

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:17:49 am »
I recommend tiabolo because the're made for 2 or more diabolos because they
don't get tangled up. I would also recommend a Sundia Sun because the're
very similar.

Good Luck! :-D
I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.

Clinic842

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 10:06:50 am »
1. Do you already have plastic hubs for the circus? (If not then I'd lean toward the Taibolos)
2. Do you diabolo a lot over pavement? (If so then I'd lean towards the Circuses)
3. Most importantly: Do you prefer one over the other already?

If you don't know which you prefer yet, then why not spend a bit more time with them first. You could even dabble a bit in trying 2d with them and seeing which you prefer. Just don't do that for too long because it's going to make the learning process that much harder with 2 differently weighted diabolos.

1. I don't have plastic hubs
2. I used to play over concrete a lot, but now I look up grassy areas to make sure my taibolo stays neat
3. I don't prefer one yet, I love the smoothness of the taibolo, but for some odd reason I also like the more massive and solid feeling my circus has, in analogy to driving a fast mini sportscar, to the heavy vibrant feeling you'd get from a humongous muscle car that shakes when you hit the gas in neutral :D

I hope this makes sense to anybody

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 01:49:06 pm »
I recommend tiabolo because the're made for 2 or more diabolos because they don't get tangled up. I would also recommend a Sundia Sun because the're
very similar.
This has to rank among the most nonsensical posts ever. That's right, don't get a second circus because they are only made for 1 diabolo and always tangle up[1]. Oh, and why don't you buy 2 Suns instead of one other diabolo because they're similar.[2]

I love the smoothness of the taibolo, but for some odd reason I also like the more massive and solid feeling my circus has, in analogy to driving a fast mini sportscar, to the heavy vibrant feeling you'd get from a humongous muscle car that shakes when you hit the gas in neutral :D
I understand - thanks for the image. :) In the long run, if you want to go with circuses, you'll want to get plastic hubs. The metal ones will get chipped up, eat away at your string, and potentially damage your sticks. Plus, the metal hubs put a lot of weight right where you don't want it - near the axle. Unfortunately plastic hubs aren't cheap and HENRYS STILL SELLS THEM WITH THESE INFERIOR HUBS YEAR AFTER YEAR! But, we're not bitter.

So, don't forget to factor that into the longer term cost. Otherwise, there's no right answer. No need to rush it either. I always prefer new diabolos. Sometimes it can take a while for the new glow to wear off. Maybe you want to wait a bit before making a decision.
 1. complete sarcasm
 2. ditto

seán_

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »
on a point of order Sean, you can buy a circus from new (via Henrys website) with the any kit installed for less than the price of a circus and kit. At at least one UK vendor you can buy a kitted circus similarly (but also with the choice of mixing cup colours).

To op, go with your heart, but my gut feeling will allways be that the feel of the henrys is good for learning 2d (inertia etc) but if you are determined any matched pair of quality diabs should do the job. (I haven't made up my mind about the pros and cons of narrower v wider axles of the euro v Taiwanese diabs for learning 2 yet)