Author Topic: Visually Pleasing Or Impressive?  (Read 2385 times)

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
Visually Pleasing Or Impressive?
« on: June 10, 2005, 01:57:39 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Slightly Random post here, but i thought it might be an interesting discussion topic...

I was doing a little bit of diaboloing yesterday on the Cathedral Green where i practice sometimes, along with some other people who were doing various things of the juggling variety, and the topic came about as some diabolo styles being easy to watch, and enjoyable, and some being just so crazy and complex that its almost hard to watch...but very impressive.

So i was thinking to myself, are there different diaboloing "styles", very visually pleasing compared to some others which are less visually pleasing but very impressive. I guessed that a more visually pleasing style would flow very nicely from one combo to the next with suns etc. And a very impressive style would involve very difficult genocide and infinte suicide cominations, which doesn't SEEM to flow so easily due to catching sticks and things like that.

I suppose that this all leads back to the fact that laymen enjoy the much simpler tricks, and maybe don't enjoy the more complicated tricks because they can't get their heads around it?

So do you think that the majority of people prefer to watch something that looks very pretty and nice, rather than something that looks slightly less pretty but is very impressive?

Any thoughts?

Matt Pang

(This is a rather vague post i realise, lol)

diabololi

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 02:43:55 pm »
I think most people like a smooth, flowy routine with a really impressive and confusing trick to end it with.. Well, that's what I prefer  :)

Oli

The Void

Re: Visually Pleasing Or Impressive?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 03:26:19 pm »
Quote from: Matt Pang
Hey Everyone,
So do you think that the majority of people prefer to watch something that looks very pretty and nice, rather than something that looks slightly less pretty but is very impressive?

Yep. Spot on. Every time. *If* you're talking about strags, that is. Jugglers are another kettle of spanners entirely. Know your audience, and give 'em what they want.

Unless it's not what you want to do, of course, in which case, Sod 'em!

The Void
Perverbed.
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

Spooned

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 05:33:09 pm »
I think starting with nice flowing combos like suns etc and finishing each setction (e.g. 1d to 2d etc) with the harder more complex tricks tends to please pretty much everyone.
Diabolo or Diablo

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 05:39:27 pm »
Yeah, i think it will be better if you, the performer, worked from the easy tricks, and gradually moved onto the harder tricks. It allows you to warm up if you havent already, and it makes the audience more entertained, since if you do a extremely hard trick as your starter, then the crowd will be looking to see if you can do a harder trick than that. Its all a matter of opinion on what to show, all about ones logic if you will.  :D

Oh yeah, i forgot to say, if you have music for your act, it helps alot if you move with the flow. Then again, I never put on any real performances, only two, which were relatives parties, so maybe the more experienced performers have a different opinion.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/