Author Topic: Centrifugal force calculations - JOY!  (Read 1952 times)

Dan

Centrifugal force calculations - JOY!
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:19:17 pm »
Hey there everyone.  Haven't posted in a long long time but i'm after a favour from you more clued up people out there.

I'm doing a project for my college engineering course and I want to make a modification to a Henry's Circus Diabolo to allow for single sided use.  Now I know there are alot of manufactured versions around now but the whole idea is to go through the design process and possibly manufacture a prototype myself.  I've done some research and initial designs but am completely clueless when it comes to calculating the masses involved and the centrifugal forces needed to be achieved to balance with the standard cup.

3D design is my forte but the software in my workplace just doesn't cut it for simulations due to a lacking material library  :(  So I am reaching out to fellow people in the diabolo community that might have tried this or know what they are talking about.  All advice I have recieved so far has been trial and error based but with the timescale I have (Easter 2010) I cannot afford to waste time on producing a number of prototype models.  Not too sure my employer would appreciate a pile of scrapped designs in a box  ;)

Any help or even suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

bourgeois.jason

Re: Centrifugal force calculations - JOY!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:46:30 am »
Dan,
I have a degree in mechanical engineering and am working on the next generation space suit for NASA. I'll think about it and ask some coworkers and respond tomorrow.
Jason

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:31:33 pm »
It seems to me that any weight will do (theoretically) and that the amount of weight on the no-cup side simply determines the rate of precession.  I assume the modification you're trying to make is to mimic the chinese style one cup diabolos, which precess?
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Dan

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:51:16 pm »
The modification is similar to the chinese single sided versions but with an extra axle groove to play around with.  The possibility of a bearing system is plaguing my mind currently as progression through the design phase has rapidly flashed by.  Prototyping next week so i think i'm going to find a solution that works then work backwards to find out why.  Thanks for the comments guys.

Dan

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 10:18:17 pm »
I'm just going to be a physics nazi, but centrifugal force doesn't exist, it's centripetal force.
Sorry for my awful posts years ago. I was even more anal and un-self-aware than i am now.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:42:49 am »
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Wis

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:41:40 pm »
hahahahhaha

so bad, xD
"The string...the inertia...the hours"