Author Topic: Street Performing with Music?  (Read 2537 times)

Beni Ran

Street Performing with Music?
« on: October 03, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »
 Hey everyone.

For those of you who street performed, did you use music? If so, then how did you get past copyright restrictions?
-Beni

MIKA

Re: Street Performing with Music?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »
Street performing with music can work but is not necessary..a mix of comedy, slapstick and funny lines is the way to go...
I have a mix of silent funny physical comedy thing and speaking...for my diabolo part i had a box and after haing tossed one diabolo really high i started two d's i'd ask if they want to see two diabolos and if they want it high, to... the kids will always kajole and say high, high...then i put my HIGH hand up while doing two d's and  ask if that's what they meant...the kid's will always say no, no HIGH...so  then i step on my box and say ...now i am high and do some dificult tricks and ask if that's what they meant...the kid's will then say NO. No the diabolos High in the air and then i will step down and announce 2 diabolos high as high as the building...you are building up of the audience's anticipaton by that...

For the street it is far more im portant to be funny and to intereact then to pull off some fancy tricks just to music...I wished i had a video to show you but it's years ago that i street performed...

PS: ...how to start the street show is another topic i can go into if you want...
MIKA- skill, beauty and visual artistry

seán_

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:09:59 am »
More Mika, not enough about street performing on here.

@Beni, I think you'd be pretty unlucky to fall fowl of copyright but I have heard of it happening. might be an idea to find some royalty free or make your own which could aid your act.
One thing to consider is that some places wont allow you to use amplification for street shows.

MIKA

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:39:49 pm »
Let me try to put down the things that seem essential and helpful for a newbie that wants to go out in the big world and street perform... I wouldn't recommend doing a street show only with diabolos ....you want to got for a 10-20 minute show with a variety of props...this is more entertaining and you will make presumably more money...

...when i said i haven't done streetshows in a long time i forgot that I was hired for 2 months  in a Thempark in India this year and did some streetshows... we promoted the cabaret evening show with these teaser shows. I don't have a streeshow video online right now where i do diabolo. But I have one video online...but it is missing the one diabolo part. (it  is with a diabolo that looks like a babydoll it has got a head and legs and i throw it high in the air and around the leg).  I have another streetshow with Hat, torches, a snowboard and wintersports gear like a skipole, bottle and skihat and then 1, 2 and 3 diabolos. It's time to make a video i guess...

Someone who i think is one of the most established and experienced streetperfomers in the US with diabolo, is in my opinion Hilby- the skinny german juggle boy. Hilby is originally from Berlin, Germany and has been living in the US for 15 years. He really knows how to entertain and keep a streetcrowd... he has really developed his street/stage character "playing" a sterotyped german in Lederhosen and he is truly hilarious,...

A streetshow has like any act a beginning, a middle and an end.

1. Begining is the gathering of the people to make a circle.
2. ...that's your actual show
3. these are hat lines ...to get their money

about 1: put your gear out eg. a trunk with your juggling stuff, a few cones or a rope or you paint the circle with charcoal for the circle...while your setting up you tell peolpe who aks that you will be doing a show in 5 minutes or soon...
I use torches, balls and or my hat
if you light a torch or several torches and juggle them you usually attract the first few people...you can also juggle 5 Balls to warm up and attract people...i have a silent skit- a kick u with my hat to the head and i point with my finger at my foot and then to my head..and thereby engage the people/passersby...i have another attention grabbing technique that is smiling and waving in an aristocratic manner to passersby, i have people stop wave back and they often join the circle...in my newer show i have silent show with a mop and do stick tricks...

about 2: you will need an audience participation act-  use a kid for that- this audience participation piece can be a plate on the kid's finger or a spinning ball or even both. some streetperformers use a whip and hit a cigarette out of their mouth, this also worked when two people pass with each other....you should have a dangerous part, a unicycle/giraffe for juggling on it (see Hilby), tigh rope  or a rola-bola part...people love the combination of balance (dangerous) and juggling at the same time...
you can do a small routine with clubs (mine is some kind of poem/rap). I have seen some pretty funny prop comedy acts with clubs of some american guys. what makes these acts so funny is the one-liners in them.
Your last act should be your best- ( in my one street show it's diabolo in the homemaking one it's the flair bottles)...  when i do my homemaking show, the one diabolo part is before the Flair bottles in the other show with one two and three d's, the diabolo part is at the end...

about 3: Hat lines are very important. One of you lines could be L's & G's, I am not being paid by the xy venue for streetperforming, so I/we are asking for a contribution. ...Just remember a Babysitter is ten dollars/7 Euros...e.g

There are a ton of Hat lines...I will try to come up with more, but feel free to post then if you know any...

Oh, yeah i have two different characters (also cotume wise- the one is a silly colorful dress with a petticoat under it...the other one is a more flashy black overall with pizzazz...

PS: A long time ago i tried to figure out if i made more money finishing with 3 diabolos insted of two and i found out- when it comes to money there is no difference between finsihing with 2 or three diabolos- the money stays the same....all your audience cares for is if they liked what they have seen-the actual show....

MIKA

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:56:07 pm »
I asked Brent Mc Coy, if I could post his street promo...he does 3 diabolos high and low and has a lot of other stunts in his show he is funny, quick and a technical juggler...this is the way to go...take a look

Billy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 02:27:19 am »
I need some help coming up with ideas for audience interaction with a diabolo.
Any ideas?
Yoyosam.com is where I get my stuff.
Where do you get yours?

MIKA

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:51 pm »
Well, lat year i did a corporate for Fidelity and I did a requested audience participation piece-i got a guy on stage and I did one diabolo and he tried to do one diabolo and then i did my show afterwards. he kind of got it going, without me ever touching his sticks and diabolo but hada hard time to throw one up and catch it.

Does that help?

Wis

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:58 am »
About the interaction with the audience. I was doing orbits over children's arm/s, they liked it. You can also try with the leg, the kid will fall because of standing on one leg, and he/she will laugh, xD. but perhaps his/her mother won't. Also with 2 diabolos you can do orbits over their arms, and even stalls. You can make one stall over one arm, and then over the other, and then go over your own arms, ending with an extremely original fan, xD
For finishing you can say, and now you are going to do 2 diabolos on you own. You spin them a lot and you pass him/her the sticks saying, 'don't move even a millimeter'
Hope this might be useful
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:38 am »
I was doing orbits over children's arm/s

Never... EVER use a finesse g1 for this in case you might screw up xD
Error 404 - Siteswap not found