Author Topic: 2 Diabolos, importance of weight.  (Read 6743 times)

Will^

2 Diabolos, importance of weight.
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:35:22 pm »
Hey, I'm pretty new here, I wont bore you all with my ramblings, but just cut to the chase:

When using 2 diabolos, how important is it that they are the same weight?

I've been experimenting with learning 2 abit recently, but finding it hard. The diabolos i'm using are a Henrys Circus, and then a much cheaper oddballs diabolo somebody got me. These have quite a bit of weight differce, and I was just wondering if I really should be using diabolos with the same weight to learn 2.

Thanks, Will.

Jester

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 01:23:47 pm »
The generally accepted theory is that yes you do definetly want to have the same weight.

If the weight difference is big then its quite a comic motion

but even if its small it can affect you
I'v heard it said
a finnese G1 and a finnesse G2 have enough difference to mess with you

so when u get really good at 2 diabolo and want to mess with the dynamic then having different weights might be a good idea

but i would say for learning u definitly want to make the road as easy as possible

or u could just practice more to compensate  :lol:
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Will^

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 01:41:23 pm »
Hmm it does sounds quite important then, thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to save up some more until I can afford more diabolos :o

Practising more would probably work too, but im allready peeling off blisters on my hands, and thats with using those nice padded carbon fibre sticks. I really dont know how people who use wooden ones can survive  :lol:

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 01:47:28 pm »
Basically, learning 2 diabolos is hard enough normally. Trying to learn with 2 different diabolos is just going to make it harder.

There should be a couple threads on this already... but darned if I can find them. Anyone else had any luck?

seán_

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 01:55:39 pm »
http://diabolo.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6448#6448

in the learning and correcting 2 thread

(Dave P has a good answer)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:58 pm »
Having heavier diabolos in general will help, I'm struggling with the lightness of the G2s.  And I used to get some blisters from wooden sticks, hands like a drummer they were.  Padded sticks haven't caused me as many problems, just a couple on the palm under the fingers.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Vojtas

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 07:12:03 pm »
when i didn't have second circus, i tried it with circus and babaches' millenium... result: circus was standing ( :D ) in the middle of the string and millenium was going round it... weird...
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

zzzzzzzzzzzz

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 09:19:30 am »
lol..

my girlfriend has a millenium...

i've got to try that :P

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 10:32:54 am »
I believe its called an orbit when that happens.  The real trick is to get it to work with 2 diabolos that are the same.

Chiok

Diab_olik

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 11:15:06 am »
To learn 2 diabolos, any doubts that is harder with two different diabolo at the beginning. After it will not be a problem during the time you learn basi tricks, (if the difference isn't huge) but whenyou will be quite good, you will have to own diabolos with same weights, same shapes.
So if i can give you a piece of advice, try to have identical diabolos (circus or finesse are good). You can learn with different diabolos, but you will lost time, and you woon buy two identical diabolos one day.

good luck with two diab...

Pierre
Pierre

Will^

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 11:18:14 am »
Thanks for the info, I guess i'll either have to fork out for another circus or get 2 finnesses, although that would cost more, I really want to try a finnesse to see what it feels like.

Diab_olik

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 11:20:41 am »
If you already have a circus, you can just buy another one, these two diabolos are great..
Pierre

Llama_Bill

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 04:39:08 pm »
Either find a friend with a finesse or go to a convention as there is usually one coming up and ask to lend one there at EPCC there will be all flavours (G2, Wide Axel, Weight Kit and a mix of others) for you to try out if you ask but it'll be a little bit of a trek.  I say try before you by but both seem to be good enough to do anything you need and 2 circuses would be cheaper.
Bill.

Will^

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 04:41:50 pm »
I was thinking about coming to this EPCC thing, although im only interested in Diabolos, not really the other juggling stuff, so im not sure if its worth the drive (and im only 16 so i'd need someone to take me and wait around all day). The thing is, none of my friends do diabolo, but I think I might be able to try it out in a shop in town.

Vojtas

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 08:58:41 pm »
Quote from: xfirebladex
I believe its called an orbit when that happens.  The real trick is to get it to work with 2 diabolos that are the same.

is that even possible? i mean - can someone do it? it must be something like mini-columns but must be really harder. how can you let one diabolo to "stay" in the middle and another (which is the same) to "orbit" around it?
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 09:30:55 pm »
I imagine (not that I'm gonna try it) it would be like mini columns or more like ping pong.  As the one flies over the top, pop the other one up just a lil and let the other travel under it.  I can't do mini columns, so this is beyond me.  Though others are much more versed in it.  Norbi did a whole video full of columns.

Chiok

Llama_Bill

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 09:13:42 am »
Quote from: Will^
I was thinking about coming to this EPCC thing, although I'm only interested in Diabolos, not really the other juggling stuff, so I’m not sure if its worth the drive (and I’m only 16 so I’d need someone to take me and wait around all day). The thing is, none of my friends do diabolo, but I think I might be able to try it out in a shop in town.

There should be more than twenty diaboloers at the EPCC with a range of skill levels so you wont be alone and you'll learn something new there is even a 2 diabolo workshop so that'll improve your two low.  If you can make it to a convention I recommend going as it is loads of fun and you'll learn some new stuff.  I'm not just saying this because I'm running the convention but if you ask anyone it's worth coming to a convention.
Bill.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 09:21:23 am »
Quote from: Llama_Bill
I'm not just saying this because I'm running the convention but if you ask anyone it's worth coming to a convention.

It certainly is.  Salford this weekend too!

Llama_Bill

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 09:27:57 am »
The first convention near me and I have to miss it due to my stupid A level exams.  After the 28th I'll be going to as many conventions as possible.
Bill.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 11:01:22 am »
Quote from: xfirebladex
I imagine (not that I'm gonna try it) it would be like mini columns or more like ping pong.  As the one flies over the top, pop the other one up just a lil and let the other travel under it.  I can't do mini columns, so this is beyond me.  Though others are much more versed in it.  Norbi did a whole video full of columns.

Chiok

It's actually more like "over the leg" and not much more difficult, just drive one diabolo harder than the other.