Author Topic: Juggling Clubs - Rules and Regs?  (Read 2171 times)

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
Juggling Clubs - Rules and Regs?
« on: June 23, 2005, 08:01:07 am »
G'day Y'all

My local juggling club, in Edinburgh, has been asked by the local council to go "official" and its causing some grief.

As part of the requirements, there must by a minimum of 2 registered members at every meeting (if kids are present) and to be registered you need to have your background checked out.

All this is understandable, but being an easy going kind of club (as most juggling clubs are), no-one is keen on committing themselves to a regular attendance schedule.

Has anyone else undergone the same thing at their club and was there any easy way to comply?
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

seán_

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:32:11 am »
Leeds Hullabaloo was facing this recently (insurance, background checks etc.), we are not quite in the clear yet but it looks like we are going be left as we are.

Simplest thing may be to ban kids from the sessions (I'm sure Joe would love that ;) )

What I mean by that is we dont have under 16's unless there is a parent or guardian there. If the parents kick up, you have some ready made responsible people who will have to bite the bullet and commit to regular attendance and background checks.

We also dont have any structured teaching so are seen as more of a comunity of jugglers than a youth group

Getting background checks can be a bit of a bind, You have to go through an umbrella organisation (in England at least). Some people might allready have that (teachers, social workers, youth workers etc). Hopefully the council should be able to assist on this front.

You could ask on UK Jugglers (or search it) since this kind of thing and insurance seems to pop up every so often. Plenty of clubs are represented on it so you might get a more usefull reply than mine. Having said that, there are several clubs that have diaboloists who visit here who might know the score.

One final thing that helped in our case I believe, is that we started to go out of our way to have a presence at as many comunity related things as we were asked to, thus showing the council what they would be damaging if we were forced to fold (rather than the council just evicting a bunch of slackers that we really are)

I'll have a word with Alice who had dealings with the council to see if any of her experiences might be of use. (I wonder if this is some kind of government innitiative to hassle jugglers?)

Best of luck with it Ronnie, I hope your club manages to get through tiis relatively painlessly.

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 08:08:04 am »
Cheers Seán

I liked the parent angle!  I'll pass on your comments to the club.
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 11:09:37 am »
When I was on the committee that run our juggling club at uni last last year, there was alot of palavar that went on to make sure it all checked out and everything.  Although being on Uni with a Student's Union to do most of the tricky stuff, we still had to sort out things such as;

A Risk Assessment which involved calculating every single possible risk you can imagine written in poncy legal talk, a rating for danger and frequency, who it might affect and possible actions to prevent this.  This needs to be approved of by someone official (possibly and Environment Council person or just go to the City Hall and see who can help).  This goes a long way to getting insured if you want to.

Background checks or CRB checks are again something to check with the Council who'll probably point you in the direction of the police station to sort it.  Can take a while (5-6 weeks) but once you have one you're registered as responsible for the well-being of children and infants (if you ever have to man the lost children tent at a festival).  Or write a disclaimer for under 16s to have a guardian or some sort of release form.

Attending members I should hope always wanna go to the club!  Not always possible which is why having some sort of committee of core members is good so if some people can't make it, some can who would be in charge and responsible.

Insurance is something I'm not too hot on, Public Liability Insurance is the ticket I believe but no idea how to sort it.  Like Seán said, check out UK Jugglers.

Agreed, alot of hassle goes into running a club which is a shame as it really is just something for jugglers to meet and hang out.  Can be good though because you could charge membership to cover the cost of the hall or insurance (you'll be non-profit) and as a registered club, you can apply for club discounts from suppliers (Butterfingers does the best at 50% approx for clubs if you order over £150 which you should if you have enough members. Beard also do the same but for no minimum amount but the equipment must be property of the club.)

Alot to take in, but it might be worth it if you have some time and half price equipment is awfully tempting (nearly all of mine was bought through the club).

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills