Author Topic: Matt Hall Style Challenge  (Read 6083 times)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Matt Hall Style Challenge
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:39:15 pm »
Hey all!

I've been off the diabolos and the forum for a while now, uni and cold weather has taken it's toll. I'm really going to try and get back into it so I'm thinking of doing a Matt Hall style challenge that he set himself a few years ago, new trick each day starting in February. Hopefully doing something like this will mean that I don't just lose the motivation to practice and stick with it.

Does anyone else fancy making this a joint venture? I mean, I'm sure some of you might fancy the challenge.

Anyways when I start this thing for the first month or so I'll be re-learning tricks and easing back into it. If you fancy following my progress I'll be posting the updates on my Twitter page here.

See y'all around,

-Leo
(Oh and a belated happy new year from me)
Behind your back is your front.

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
Re: Matt Hall Style Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »
sounds great. I will follow you in it :P
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:41:38 pm »
Sounds great. How about a weekly summary update in this thread? Or maybe a weekly or monthly summary for the blog?

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:01:52 pm »
Sounds great. How about a weekly summary update in this thread? Or maybe a weekly or monthly summary for the blog?

Yeah, I'll definitely think about that. I'll have to see how I'm getting along first. :)

Anyone else fancy doing something similar?

Arjan

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:42:11 pm »
I try to do this every day, because it makes me happy. Only I don't really document the whole thing, because that would take the fun away probably. Although I do take occasional notes, keep track of my training sessions and work on concepts almost every day of the year you could say. Jep...  ::) But actually making a schedule to learn a trick a day, nope that would be to much I'm affraid.  ;)

The Void

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »
A Matt Hall Style Challenge?

I'll fetch my bandana....

The Void
Has a photo...
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 01:25:13 am »
Could probably do this, except my parents sometimes take my diabolos and sticks away. :(
Sorry for my awful posts years ago. I was even more anal and un-self-aware than i am now.

Richard

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:26:33 pm »
Could probably do this, except my parents sometimes take my diabolos and sticks away. :(

Well, you should do your homework first then :)

Benjy

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:34:27 pm »
That sounds like a really good way to remain motivated i havent gotten to that stage yet as i have only been diaboloing a few weeks but i might join in on this anyway :D Sounds like fun and good way to do a measureable progression through diaboloing

Richard

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »
OK, not that I wanna put a negative spin on this cause the best thing about juggling is the positivity that it brings.

However my one concern with this sorta thing is that I find it hard to learn multiple new tricks AND HOLD ONTO THEM.  I find that especially for the harder tricks, HEAPS of repetition is needed to actually master and then keep the trick so that I just don't forget how to do it.

If I were to try and go through all my current tricks that I'm learning as well as the ones I want to get smoother, it would take hours and hours in one day. To add a heap of extra tricks onto that wouldn't leave me with much time in the day.

I still think this is a cool idea cause it's trying something different and would be great for inspiration - just don't know if it would give you much actual value in the long run with your tricks.

Thoughts?

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 10:41:59 pm »
I guess the point is to find out if it's worth it. It'd only take an hour a day to learn a new trick and play with tricks that you already know.

I guess I'll find out!

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:27 am »
Broncobob, hes not saying that he is just going to do one trick a day, hes saying that he wants to learn a new trick a day, with learning a new trick comes added motivation. Its probably going to give him more gain than a practice routine such as ine, where I practice the tricks I know, but I very rarely learn something new or even come up with anything these days. I can't even remember the last time I was botherd enough to learn a trick from a video, even when I think 'thats cool I will learn that'. In fact Leo is probably going to get much more out of his practice time then many of us will.
Alex abuses flys!

Richard

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 07:54:05 am »
Yeah, I understand what he means Hathaway.

The point I'm trying to make is that:

a) it can take more than a day to learn a new trick (it normally does for me these days).
b) holding onto a new trick takes a lot of extra practice as well.

However I say go for it!  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 08:51:16 am »
Here I think that your sig 'Carpe Diem' aka 'Seize the day' is relevant. Well done Leo, I think it's a good idea, however I'm sure that the pub will take priority sooner or later  ::)

Wis

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:31 am »
So we have homework, diabolo and pub. This thread is getting quite deep

@ Broncobo: I saw some of the tricks from Matt Hall and many of them were just combos of tricks that he already knew but he saw done by another one else. For example, "umbrella combo from Busk @ buskonature minute whatever...." So in this way learning tricks doesn't take so long.

By the way for me the most important is what you said here
I still think this is a cool idea cause it's trying something different and would be great for inspiration - just don't know if it would give you much actual value in the long run with your tricks.

I suppose the key to do this properly is try to find which tricks you can learn in one day. So when you will be bored about the Style Challenge, you will have learn to hold some of the tricks that you already had because you will have forced yourself to join them within different tricks; you will have try many new thing, and you will know which kind of tricks were impossible and that you need to practice them more
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 03:19:31 pm »
Here I think that your sig 'Carpe Diem' aka 'Seize the day' is relevant. Well done Leo, I think it's a good idea, however I'm sure that the pub will take priority sooner or later  ::)

Haha sounds like someone has noticed the numerous status updates on my Facebook/Twitter.
Yeah, I understand what he means Hathaway.

The point I'm trying to make is that:

a) it can take more than a day to learn a new trick (it normally does for me these days).
b) holding onto a new trick takes a lot of extra practice as well.

However I say go for it!  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out

I get what you're saying but I'm not going to learn a 'monster' trick each day, that'd be insane. I mean, I'll have some bigger tricks but also some knot combos or string figures which I could learn in 15 minutes rather than a whole day.

The key to learning anything is to be 'active' in what you're doing. Doing the same monotonous thing over and over again is nowhere near as productive as working on a multitude of things at once. -I'll have an easier trick to learn each day, as well as some harder ones. -I think I'd like to get some 3 diabolo tricks working consistently this year, but obviously I couldn't learn one of those a day. Later on in the year the goals might change and maybe at some point I'll create a 5 minute 1D routine in a week, or a 5 minute 2D routine in a week. The point is; you have to have some targets or goals and be practising 'actively' to make the most effective use of your practice time.

-Leo

Richard

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 09:39:46 pm »
The point is; you have to have some targets or goals and be practising 'actively' to make the most effective use of your practice time.

Good point.

Maybe you could make a video of JUST the tricks you learnt doing this challenge?

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »
I think you should film the trick you learn every day, in the same spot, obviously the camera would move a little and the weather and lighting would change. I think it would make for an interesting video, but also a very good way for you to document your acheivments!
Alex abuses flys!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:35 pm »
That's not a bad idea. I have no camera, but I might be able to borrow someone's for when I start. I have 'til February to start this thing anyways.

Jasper

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 03:52:03 pm »
eeeh hathaway that's a good idea, i was looking for something that I could remember my tricks for  WEEKS now....
now i got one :P