Author Topic: Diabolo Gear Survey 2010  (Read 9774 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Diabolo Gear Survey 2010
« on: January 20, 2010, 03:58:00 am »
Due to popular request, I have set up a detailed diabolo gear survey that covers diabolos, hubs/axles, sticks, string, diabolo experience, and location. We should be able to do some interesting things with this data.

Survey is closed for 2010

This poll was originally released in the off-topic section as a test but is now public. Nonetheless, please let me know if you see any mistakes in the poll.

It should be obvious, but please only fill it out once.

Thanks!

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Re: Diabolo Gear Survey 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:42:05 am »
Wow Sean! That survey is really great! Yur an awesome scripter =)

We should try and get a really big community to fill this in..

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:56:29 am »
A really big community like... ours?

Good effort Sean, right down to the types of grips. Thats pretty indepth! Quite looking forward to the analysis!
Alex abuses flys!

Martijn

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »
Yes, I love it! Everybody, do fill in!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:58:25 pm »
Love the fact i was able to specify that i use a heavy cup sun but with the light washers and Axel [in my opinion the finest diabolo set up available today].

only on .ca would that level of diabolo nerdery be catered for.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:01:16 pm »
Love the fact i was able to specify that i use a heavy cup sun but with the light washers and Axel [in my opinion the finest diabolo set up available today].

only on .ca would that level of diabolo nerdery be catered for.
And I'm in love with my light cup suns and light washers :) Got the lighest diabolo I can get! ( Except for tom's )

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:08:55 pm »
Alright, 38 responses, here's what the poll looks like with just the off-topic people.
[removed to avoid biasing the results]

seán_

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:10:01 pm »
looking at that png. In the bearings? bit I'm a bit confused as to what I'm looking at,
a) I use flys but have them fixed!
b) I use a sundia fly rather than sun!
c) my diabolo is fixed/bearing!
(from the perspective of somebody looking at the results)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
Those are just the auto-generated summary plots from google. They are simple tallies of each question so there is no link from one question to the next. This is all distinguishable in the data itself and will be when I write my own analysis. Right now these are just to satisfy our initial curiosity.

With respect to the bearings part, that means: of those people that reported using Shining or Fly diabolos, those are the percentages of people who are mainly using bearing or non-bearing versions.

The end goal is (partly) to relate the demographic questions to the gear choice questions. For example, are newer diaboloists who have tried fewer diabolos more likely to use Finesse diabolos?

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 09:21:47 pm »
Crickey Sean!!! This will give some seriously indepth analysis. Like you say at the end of your post you can effectivley determine market trends. When this gets done next year (if any new diabolos come out this year) it will be interesting to see what effect peoples comments and what diabolos get used in videos have on the newer people buying them. Such a shame that all the other years haven't been as in depth as this as it would have been very interesting to see the migration of circus/finesse users to all the new eastern diabolos.
Alex abuses flys!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 02:33:36 am »
We can still see a bit of that, although it looks like there was more of a migration of Circus users to Sundia and Taibolo than Finesse users:
http://diabolo.ca/diabolo-preferences/

Moved out of the off-topic section
Welcome to the rest of Diabolo.ca.

People seem to be having trouble distinguishing Xtreme stick generations. G3 vs. G1 or G2 is easy (the tip is bigger). How can one easily distinguish G1 from G2? Besides the fact that your G1s are probably broken. :P

Wis

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 08:47:34 am »
I had this problem  :embarassed:
Perhaps if you included a link to a picture comparing the three tips adding the number of generation, it would be easier for starters to decide. I normally go to the store and if they have Foam Xtreme i don't want to ask anymore, I just buy it as fast as possible, xD.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Toddyupa

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 09:35:33 am »
i just said i don't know for XTremes, but exactly, how thicker are G3 tips? really small difference?
pretentious 12 year old

Jasper

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 10:38:04 am »
Great poll, but i dont know which string i always have :P, I buy it at a shop where they dont got much things from babache and henry's!
My diabolo's 3 of them are also not from one of those you said, they're from "diabolospinner.be" (i didnt looked if I could fill in "other"):P

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 11:25:20 am »
there were only 1 thing i could find to improve xD
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 12:13:00 pm »
Your grammar?
Alex abuses flys!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 02:48:01 pm »
Perhaps if you included a link to a picture comparing the three tips
I would if I could. I only have a pair of G1s and G3s. Anyone know they have a pair of G2s to take a picture of?

My diabolo's 3 of them are also not from one of those you said, they're from "diabolospinner.be" (i didnt looked if I could fill in "other"):P
That's fine. You can just write that in the "other" box. On the first page you select "other" then on the next page it takes you to you fill in the box if you don't see your diabolo listed.

Great poll, but i dont know which string i always have
That's fine. Just fill in the "other" category with "unknown". Unless you can match it to one of these:
[smg id=314]

Jasper

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 06:09:22 pm »
tnx sean, my rope is none of them you gave on the pic  :o

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
Your grammar?

aha.. ahahaha... oh wait.. no xD

sorry, my grammar isn't the thing I'll improve.
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Valium

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 07:20:29 pm »
I would if I could. I only have a pair of G1s and G3s. Anyone know they have a pair of G2s to take a picture of?
they look completely the same
nice survey btw