Author Topic: Advice on Gear for Students?  (Read 2689 times)

bourgeois.jason

Advice on Gear for Students?
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:47:22 pm »
Guys,

I have been given the great opportunity to teach a diabolo class at the community center next month.  Since almost everyone in Houston, TX, is a diabolo virgin, I was planning on purchasing the gear and letting the students purchase it from me.  Since I need advice, and this forum is the best place to get it, I'm asking you guys for advice. :)

That said, what would you recommend for the gear.  I would like for the students to be able to go through an introduction and intermediate class with the same diabolo.  I would also like for them to be able to learn two diabolos with that same model.

For sticks, I'm thinking of just using wooden sticks for the first two classes. 

Once they get to a higher level, I'll let the students pick their own gear.

I would like to keep my equipment purchase price under $15 per set (diabolo, sticks, and string).  I know the sticks and string are negligible, so I guess I'm really just asking for a good diabolo for around $13.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

Not Skilled Yet

Re: Advice on Gear for Students?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:06:49 pm »
Anti gravity diabolo costs 14 dollars. It's fine, except it has a tiny axle, so it would mess up sometimes when you wrap it. I think you can still do some wrapping tricks without a problem, but not vertax. You can do basic on it.
Sorry for my awful posts years ago. I was even more anal and un-self-aware than i am now.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:54 pm »
I really don't think there's any diabolo for around $13 that I'd feel comfortable having someone learn 2 diabolos with.

A lot of my, Marko, and Sean_'s thoughts are in this thread from this message and down:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6932.msg83299#msg83299
Read the whole first page, especially Sean_'s comments, as he has a lot of experience in this very situation.

I'm also occasionally involved in something similar. We have a set of proper 5 inch diabolos that we let people use. If someone gets really into it then we discuss how he/she can buy one him/herself. Maybe you'd want to have a set of those around to sell on the spot. Finesses will probably be the cheapest thing you can find that are also highly durable on pavement.

If everyone starts with a small cheap diabolo nearly everyone will get a false impression that the diabolo is a small toy that is hard. If you start everyone with a good diabolo (but that they don't necessarily own at first) you'll at least give them a fighting chance to enjoy it and experience real progress. Then those that are really into it can purchase a proper diabolo. Better off giving everyone a good impression and getting a few people really hooked than getting everyone discouraged just so they could all buy a cheap diabolo.

Wood sticks are probably OK for the massess at first. Then I always recommend the Henrys aluminum sticks as great quality inexpensive sticks. Might want to have some of those on hand.

seán_

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:59:08 pm »
how many students?
Are you looking to continue this or is it a one off?

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:38:46 pm »
Sean_,

I hope to get 10 - 20 students, at first, and I do want it to continue for a while.  Each class will be 8 weeks long, but I can teach multiple classes per week, if the demand is strong enough.  By the time the students get to the intermediate class, they will need to purchase a second diabolo.  That means that my students would purchase 20-40 diabolos within the first few months.

Thanks,

Jason

Benjy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 04:59:19 pm »
You could go for the Medium Harlequin which is good quality and only £8 i dont know what that is in $$ though sorry

finesse

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:26 pm »
You could go for the Medium Harlequin which is good quality and only £8 i don't know what that is in $$ though sorry
Fast math, i guess the Harlequin you're talking about is the one from oddballs, which is 9 £ from there.
That turns into something like 15, 5 dollars and i think he wants a set of equipment too, for that price.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know anything on teaching diabolo.

bombmistro

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:37:07 pm »
i taught a class for 6 students and sold them beaches they are 20 bucks and they worked well
I AM BACK AND HERE TO STAY!!!

Billy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:37:51 pm »
You should get an account with Yoyosams http://www.yoyosam.com/servlet/StoreFront

You can ask them for a club discount code. It gets you 10% when you use the code. You could give it to all your students.
Plus! Once you get to $200 you start earning credit for your club (school?)

Here is the email I got explaining it to me...

Hi Billy,

It’s up to you if you’d like to open an account in the Club’s name or just keep it under your name.  If the mailing address is going to be the same, I think you may as well leave it in your name.  But your call.

Your code is: [removed by moderator]

·         It expires of 3/31/10 (you can renew at that time)

·         You’re credit earned will be posted to your account  at the end of the month, after the $200 dollar  threshold is met. (let us know if you make a new club account).

·         Credits must be used by the first of each year.

Thanks for signing up.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Mitch
Yoyosam.com is where I get my stuff.
Where do you get yours?