Author Topic: Out of Practice  (Read 8344 times)

Mr.D

Re: Out of Practice
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
Beautiful video! Respect for mike's filming and your style :)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 07:28:56 am »
Vimeo and JTV are now up. Links in the original post. Vimeo has an epic thumbnail.

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 07:54:49 am »
Put together so beautifully!
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 06:56:17 am »
I just received some behind the scenes pictures that I thought I would share:

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 07:02:32 am »
Yea! I almost guessed what setup you were using on that video. This just confirms everything. ;) Great job. I want filming group like that to here as well.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Toddyupa

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 06:28:19 am »
I liked the pictures more, actually. There's good filming, and editing, but i suppose the video kinda looks like it could be named "What you didn't see in Put Together Beautifully'. Yep, it looks like most of it is just stuff from that that you didn't include in that video. Although, being like that video isn't too bad.
pretentious 12 year old

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 07:55:16 am »
Toddyupa, :D isn't that the most used reason to film another video? "To put there tricks that you haven't filmed before." Would you rather watch the same tricks all over again?

Just a thought... i think i didn't understand your comment right.

Jammy7797

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 03:51:16 pm »
I just received some behind the scenes pictures that I thought I would share:

Amaaaazing photo!

~Jammy7797
People who can't Juggle, just don't have the balls.
http://www.youtube.com/Jammy7797

Toddyupa

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 08:53:32 pm »
no i mean, i liked put together beautifully, because it was a brand new way to make a video. this, is really like a repeat.
pretentious 12 year old

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 09:59:33 pm »
I really don't see your point Toddysucka. What you get is a free diabolo video that is filmed and produced better than 99,9% of everything that has come out so far. It's just awesome to watch!!Also, it's nice to see how beautifully good producing and diabolo combine, when you put them in a video together.[1]
 1. Note what I did there...
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

GuiZ

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 10:23:29 pm »
now i know what you mean with 'good quality'.
:D

awesome vid..btw
The day came!I can do 3 diabolos!

Ken

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:10 pm »
That was lovely. The filming (as has been said several times) was absolutely sublime, so kudos to Mike for that.

I thought that shot from 0.20-25 was amazing... I guess I quite like the contrast of there being stuff going on, but the shot itself being so still and focused. Also, that combo from 0.30-45 was awesome! I'm really liking those two handed whip catch type tricks at the moment, and you pulled it off nicely.

I know you've already said it's unlikely, but I'd like to echo Hath's statement about you coming over. It'd be awesome to have a session at some point.

As always, stellar work, Jesse.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 12:58:38 am »
Thanks for the comments everyone. Really appreciate it.

Ken, actually it's not THAT unlikely. I'm actually thinking about a trip later this year. Maybe October/November-ish?

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 07:50:33 am »
Toddy, you really need to start watching real videos from people who actually film stuff. Having tighter shots and angles makes videos much more interesting. I can imagine how well shot videos might seem to people who watch mostly juggling videos from youtube. I've always been more into dvd's and quality of filming.

But yea, i don't have a need to fight over this with anybody. Just don't want to hear disrespect about Jesses videos since i feel they are the best thing that is happening in diabolo world now. The way people film their youtube videos is really an awful looking way *. There's no excuse for practicing a little filming as well. It really isn't that hard to improve those videos even just a bit.

*I know there are some people who film well, this was not for you. I think you know who you are since there aren't many.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 08:18:28 am »
Yep pretty spot on Marko, I certainly hope the days of every juggling video being straight on shots of a trick - new location straight on shot of tricks - new shot slightly to the side shot of a trick etc... are numberd. Whilst some of those shots can look nice we certainly need to start seeing more professionalism like Jesse + his friend Mikes latest excurtions.

Sweet, you certainly should come over later in the year, we should be in the house of juggle by then Ken?
Alex abuses flys!

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:54 am »
The video is very beautiful. I often lose interest with other videos due to a) too many integrals or b) bad filming. Both were not the case here and I enjoyed every bit of it. Great photos as well!

Jammy7797

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »
I really don't see your point Toddysucka. What you get is a free diabolo video that is filmed and produced better than 99,9% of everything that has come out so far. It's just awesome to watch!!Also, it's nice to see how beautifully good producing and diabolo combine, when you put them in a video together.[1]
 1. Note what I did there...

Toddysucka <-----  :-D

I agree with what you said and liked what you did there  ;)

I just look at it this way:

There are hundreds of video's out there but there are very few that take an interest in locations and the filming and editing point of view. You can watch many diabolo videos that are relitively the same because most of the tricks are not original. So this is what makes a video different, i like video's with original tricks, great editing and a variety of film angles etc.

good job Jesse, good job.

~Jammy7797
People who can't Juggle, just don't have the balls.
http://www.youtube.com/Jammy7797

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 09:10:35 pm »
I certainly hope the days of every juggling video being straight on shots of a trick - new location straight on shot of tricks - new shot slightly to the side shot of a trick etc... are numberd. Whilst some of those shots can look nice we certainly need to start seeing more professionalism like Jesse + his friend Mikes latest excurtions.

Hath, to be honest you can't really expect all videos to be filmed like this. Most people do not have an opportunity for making a video like this. People normally dont have a professional guy to film their diabolo videos and it is quite hard to get these angles when your alone with a camera and a tripod. Of course, different angles is possible but higher perspectives combined with that filming and angle is not possible to do alone. Honestly, I think videos are getting higher expectations. I think people should think about 2 things in a video, the filming and entertainment on the video, and the skills. You can make a video like in this case with fantastic filming and editing that possibly dont have high technical skill but are still a wonderful film, and in other cases with technical skill and tricks pushing the limits of diabolo, but worse filming. I think both should be considered for videos and that the expectations for filming and editing should be a little smaller. Hope you guys understand me.
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 09:57:20 pm »
People normally dont have a professional guy to film their diabolo videos and it is quite hard to get these angles when your alone with a camera and a tripod.

I can't possibly agree with that after filming this video with tripod almost alone. (I'm truly sorry for posting videos in other video topics. This is just to prove my point. Also didn't get this work as a link... oh wait, i can just tinyurl it to avoid the massive embed. :)
http://tinyurl.com/markoprovinghispoint

I had friend only holding camera in one shot. Also i hardly consider myself professional in filming. Just read about some tricks and watched couple of tutorials. This is just a small thing anyone can do. Also i'm not using any special editing software.

I don't see point in filming anything badly. Just practice and maybe talk on filming forums or watch tutorials what ever (i just bough one book about filming from secondhand shop, 1euro) In one week you will learn all the things you need to improve the videos. It's not like rocket science. If you can learn diabolo filming is not going to be harder than that. Planning is what you have to do that's it.

EDIT: Softening the punches, sorry for being harsh. Everybody can film better if they care to. It's mostly just that people don't care enough to think filming. This is a thing that makes me really sad. Like you could be the best juggler in the world but your videos don't support your skill since you don't want to take 1-2hours to learn some filming.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 11:41:21 pm »
Marko's video is good proof, but I'd also like to mention that In Case of Emergency was basically filmed alone. I know I had someone help me out, but all shots were tripod shots and he was there to make sure I was in the frame. It saved me a lot of time as I had a really busy schedule, but it could have been done alone. I'm not trying to diminish his role on that video, but just saying that it could have been done alone. I know it can be a bit frustrating to film many angles alone, but it's not really that hard and it makes the video so much better.

I'm not expecting people to film well, but definitely encouraging it. It's not that hard and you don't need a good camera.

Also, Marko thanks for the very kind words. Was not expecting it. Thanks to everyone else too! Interesting discussion.

ps. as far as tricks and technical skills go, I too enjoy videos with new creative stuff. That's the next thing I really want to improve on, so there won't be any new videos by me anytime soon.  ;) Well except maybe some slowmo tutorials if I/Mike have time and if you/dca have interest.

Edit: Just wanted to add a great tip as far as angles go. Turn the screen on your camera around and leave it on record. You can move it wherever you want and check that you're in the frame, you don't need to walk back and forth to turn it on rec and you can easily move it to the next angle after your trick is done.