Author Topic: I am going to buy... Your advice?  (Read 2100 times)

ChloeAlpert

I am going to buy... Your advice?
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:50:22 pm »
I've always used Circus Diabolos with All-around axles and I was thinking about buying two Sundia Suns?

Here is the deal I was going to go for on Oddballs:
http://www.oddballs.co.uk/2-sundia-sun-255g-instant-diabolo-dvd-carbon-or-alu-handsticks-and-string-p-2811.html

So I have a few questions about these:

The Sundia Suns that I would be ordering are Fixed Axle, correct?
I was thinking about buying the Tiabolo Carbons with them.  Should I go for the Taibolo Carbons or the Sundia Carbons?  I've always liked the weight ratio of the Henry's Aluminum to the Circus diabolos, so I don't want heavy diabolos with light sticks.

Any thoughts or feedback?  Thanks!

Mr.D

Re: I am going to buy... Your advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »
Suns are fixed axled. The Taibolo carbon sticks are definitely lighter than any aluminium sticks, but you get used to anything. I personally love the short ones :)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

seán_

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:24 am »
You mention the Sundia carbons, I don't see them as an option in that deal but I've got  set and quite like them. they are smaller and have thinner handle than most carbons. One thing I don't like about them is the metal bit at the handle end, I've hurt my hands on them a few times.

For some reason I have come to think of them as the nearest in feel to allys, not when swinging maybe but just the actual in hand feel.

Theres an option to go with allys in that deal. Any reason you want to move away from those?

ChloeAlpert

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:42:17 am »
I've tried using the Aluminum sticks with finesse diabolos which is around 245g and I don't like the heavy stick with the lighter daibolo.  The Suns were 255g and so I figured I wanted to have a lighter stick with the diab.  My aluminum sticks work really well with the 300g circus diabs I use.

The sundia carbons aren't an option, but I was considering buying them from a different site and going with allys on this order and keep them as an extra pair.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:21:38 am »
Actually Finesse diabolos are around 265g... which drives home the point that 255g is light! Not sure how it works with the deal, but I'd also consider the heavier cupped suns with plastic or carbon washers. I've spent a lot of time with both the 255g set up and the 270g heavy cup light washer setup. I think the 270g set up is more stable. Plus, I prefer the slightly softer feel to the heavier cups. Personally, I think it's the best set up out there today. Not perfect, but still very good. I'd put the all-around hubbed circuses near the top too. Then again, for lots of stuff I wouldn't care whether I was using the 255s or 270s. For 3 low and any high stuff I definitely notice the extra stability of the 270s.

As for the sticks, I've used entirely aluminums for a long time now. I didn't find them too heavy, even with the 255g diabolos. You get used to whatever you have, really. From what I remember, I preferred the Sundia carbon sticks to the Taibolo ones. As carbon sticks go, and not including the MB sticks or Trash's sticks that I haven't tried yet, I'd put the Sundias at the top.

About your circuses with all-around hubs. They are either ~270g or ~245g depending on your washer set up. Stock circuses are ~295g.

Time after time, I always come back to a diabolo at around 270g. I really think that's the all around sweet spot for weight.

If it helps, the yet to be released diabolo poll results show that the heavy cups are 3 times as popular as the light cups and 2/3 of the heavy cup users use light (carbon or plastic) washers. Within the light cups it's a 50/50 split for the washers.

ChloeAlpert

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 05:39:06 am »
Awesome, thanks!

I think my circus diabs are closer to 270g because they are quite heavy and I have a total of four washers on them.
I was looking for a lighter diabolo because I do get a little tired when I'm doing two.   

I was going for the 255g but is the 270g that much more stable that it would be worth it?
http://www.oddballs.co.uk/sundia-sun-diabolo-p-3068.html

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:22:48 am »
Like Sean my 270g suns are one of my favourite set ups, also like Sean I find myself always going back to this sort of weight no matter what I try. Always go back to circus as well... The light suns I really only use for a play or the occasional spot of filming as they do like quite nice, however they aren't ideal for learning new tricks, due to their weight they're very unstable and also very easy to knock out of alignment.

They are nice to use but only really when your technique is almost spot on, as I find I spend a lot of the time correcting and speeding them up. I don't find this at all with the heavy suns, they keep stable at very low speeds which is always useful, especially as I mentioned when you are trying to work something new out.

However its all preferance, so if you live near Brighton or London pop into oddballs and try them out.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:33:24 pm »
just to clarify your talking about the 275g version. i personally have always preferred lighter setups along with a lot of others, 255g is a good weight sundia sun or taibolo glary. if you would like them slightly heavier you can get sundia suns to weigh in at 260g or V2's at 265g

lz
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.