Author Topic: Off-String Yoyo  (Read 7221 times)

4leek24

Off-String Yoyo
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:51:25 am »
i saw the video markos made on the yoyo inspired tricks, and i went and got really good at yoyo(not really, but im progressing). anyway, i just now found offstring yoyos and i borrowed one from my friend. after a couple minutes with it, i found it was quite similar to diabolo, does anyone else offstring here? and is anybody good enough to know wether you can do magic knot,2d, or any otherdiabolo trick?

samuli

• VotW Contributor
Re: Off-String Yoyo
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 06:34:51 am »
Is this a troll? Should I feed it?
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:13 am »
I saw this video and also, I've seen Langerz do 2.

I am very tempted to get into this - it's like a perfect cross of yo yo and diabolo. A mini diabolo without handticks?

Either way pretty good. I suppose the only debatable point is what can you actually do with it that you can't already do with diabolo?

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 11:22:23 am »
I can do 2 sometimes. Although they are fun, I think that they are very limited and are a bit pointless really.

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:35:50 am »
This thread needs more Kazuaki Sugimura.

Style for days.
Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 11:48:10 am »
He made that look far too easy.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:36:24 pm »
Wow  :o

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 02:25:05 pm »
Haha, Nick that video is a classic. Thanks.
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

Indy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:24:52 pm »
Offstring yoyo is pretty sick!
But they need to stop stealling all the diabolo tricks!
epicness commits

bombmistro

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »
ok so i have gotten really far into off string play (4A) and picked up a couple of things first 2 off strings yoyos is called soloham, it is a style of play invented by Taka from the Duncan team he is the best out there as far as i can find the 1st place in the 4A division at worlds in florida a year or 2 ago tried for 3 off sting yoyo at once and failed. 2 magic knots are knot possible (get the pun lol) because to have a knot you need to have something to tie to, like a stick, however there is a group of tricks called clap knots and they also apply to 4A, and finally 4A is basically the diabolo but without adding speed so most of the tricks are the same (except for regenerations) Taka in general is one of the better 4A players out there

heres some videos

anyone seen this trick before

and this guy is just amazing

I AM BACK AND HERE TO STAY!!!

Toddyupa

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 05:55:55 am »
Reminds me a bit of loop diabolo:

Juggling.tv - Yukki
pretentious 12 year old

Indy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:37 am »
It's an Off-string yoyo topic!
Those tricks with 2 yoyo's in 1 string are awesome!
But it looks a bit clumsy with the second string hanging on the side...
Then toddychuppa comes up with loop diabolo! damn what a major buzzkill!
epicness commits

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 11:02:44 pm »
yea, loop diabolo wins. (never thought that i would write that sentence)

Only thing that could make loop diabolo even better is to add some handsticks. Maybe idea for a mod? ::)

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 03:02:55 pm »
Dug out an old Henry's Micro diabolo and giving it a go with that....

bombmistro

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 03:44:33 pm »

Taka (the guy i talked about in my first post) posted a video of him doing Soloham with 2 micros it is pretty crazy. but diabolos don't work as well as off-string yoyos but they kind of work
I AM BACK AND HERE TO STAY!!!

dp408

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »
Hey guys, I just have a quick question.  I was looking for a more appropriate topic to put this under but since I am more of a yoyoer I fiqured off-string yoyo would be the closest place.  I saw these at an antique store and out of shear coolness just couldn't pass these up.  However, I don't know a thing about them except that they are old.  The white one for sure is from Milton Bradley and seems to be painted wood (beautiful), and the wooden one can screw on the white one showing they have the same parts.  So my best guess is that it is also from Milton.  I am not finding much on the internet and was just wondering more about them.  Age, value, how rare?  anything would be helpful.  I heard this was the best diabolo site around so I hope I am in the right place.  my pics are small sorry.    the top of the white one says "topsy-twirl   milton bradley co.  Springfield Mass."

The Void

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »
Mods: Split thread?
Hey guys, I just have a quick question.  I was looking for a more appropriate topic to put this under but since I am more of a yoyoer I fiqured off-string yoyo would be the closest place.  I saw these at an antique store and out of shear coolness just couldn't pass these up.  However, I don't know a thing about them except that they are old.  The white one for sure is from Milton Bradley and seems to be painted wood (beautiful), and the wooden one can screw on the white one showing they have the same parts.  So my best guess is that it is also from Milton.  I am not finding much on the internet and was just wondering more about them.  Age, value, how rare?  anything would be helpful.  I heard this was the best diabolo site around so I hope I am in the right place.  my pics are small sorry.    the top of the white one says "topsy-twirl   milton bradley co.  Springfield Mass."

According to page 26 of this pdf, Topsy Twirl by Milton Bradley has 2 copyright dates: 1937 & 1907. Reasonably rare, I would think. Value... whatever someone's willing to pay! :-)

The Void
Google foo
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

dp408

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »
Hey, thanks a bunch.  That is helpful info.  More than I have been able to come up with.  You are right about the value too,  I am still trying to figure out if I should let them go or display them with my old Duncans (they seem pretty happy together).  When I saw them I knew someone would like them alot,  come to find out I am turning into that someone.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:38 pm »
You should remember that Offstring Yoyos tend to have a bearing in with a response system. Henry's Micro will be harder to use.

4leek24

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 01:37:03 am »
You should remember that Offstring Yoyos tend to have a bearing in with a response system. Henry's Micro will be harder to use.

all off string have bearings since you cant speed them up, but some, such as aquarius, have no response since they want longer spin time and unresponsive play. tight gap would make it bind too.