Author Topic: Damaged Diabolos  (Read 23389 times)

Twilite

Damaged Diabolos
« on: July 05, 2005, 10:15:28 am »
After a small discussion in the cleaning thread, and it seeming like I'm the only one stupid enough to use my diabolo on concrete and scratch and scar it all over, I thought I'd see what all you veterans had done to diabolos over time?

Compared to some sports, diabolos last forever it seems, but I'm sure some have given up and died right? Anybody got any interesting diabolo-death stories?

I was thinking, with metal hubs and friction and whatnot, a poorly maintained diabolo (especially if used at the beach) might snap in half during a particularly harsh trick. Not good for the owner, but it'd be cool to see!

So, anybody...?
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Vojtas

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 10:54:30 am »
my friend's diabolo SURVIVED collision with car's wheel... diabolo was really deformed, but friend managed to "repair" it and now it works fine
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Arjan

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 11:33:11 am »
My henrys are scratched all over the place.
Some rubber diabolo`s, like harleqino`s, the edges can tare apart.

Diabolo`s can last long, as long as you treat them good. :)

eggy900

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 11:37:58 am »
i got my mates jazz run over by a 4x4 land rover but it came out alright, the slight deformation corrected itself after a bit of spinning

barnesy

• Administrator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 11:38:10 am »
Quote from: Arjan
Diabolo`s can last long, as long as you treat them good. :)

Yes, that's the important thing.  I'd never use my Henrys over concrete, or another surface that might damage them.  They have some damage on them, but two of them are now over 10 years old, and are still going well.

Martijn

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 11:40:08 am »
Yeah, as long as you do not use them, they last forever :wink:

No really, my diabs are scratched too... Many of those scratches are from rough surfaces when they drop.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Chiok

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 11:49:38 am »
How far are people willing to travel to practise somewhere that won't scare their equipment?  I'm home for a lil while so I go out into my parent's back garden to practise on the patio.  The grass is at an angle so I can't do it there.  I'd like to go to a sports hall or a squash court or something, but it seems like effort.  Luckily my diabolos haven't suffered anything horrific yet, which is surprising.  That's some resiliant rubber they're made out of.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 02:00:21 pm »
I'm not religious about only using them on good surfaces but I do tend to avoid the more harmfull ones when I can. there's a nice space just next to my house, enclosed but really rough tarmac so I avoid that and get my exercercise* by walking half a mile to some playing fields nearby.

but they are fairly resilliant, and anyway its not like we drop them or anything ;)
I havent had anything happen to mine more than getting scratched or occaisionally bent out of shape.

* The GF is right, I dont even know how to spell it

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 02:00:55 pm »
MY Circus have a few nicks out of the cups from when i was diabin in front of a fountain in soton with this crazy surface made up of really small spike stones...a bit like sharp tennis court surface maybe?

Other than that I've diabed all over the place dropping diabolos from huge heights onto bricks, metal benches, concrete, tarmac and all other sorts of surfaces...no serious damage as of yet  :wink:

Matt_

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 05:09:09 am »
Twilite, what do you mean the only one?  :shock:

seems like a lot of other people do...

and besides, i use mine everywhere, parking lots, the concrete, grass, everything. i cant imagine mine breaking, really. in fact, it's kind of the opposite. when i bought my G2 one of the cups was REALLY deformed but it fixed itself through use...

although, the metal hubs are easily killed on a Circus...well that is where the teflon kit comes in :D

je4d

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 11:35:14 am »
As Matt_ said, the metal  hubs on the circus get damaged - I damaged one by letting it bounce into a metal chair leg, and the other by landing it on gravel from quite a height.

my older circus has a tiny slice taken off the edge of one of the cups, some dents on the other cup where it's been hit with something sharp (these are only visible after it's been cleaned), and small scratches all over.. but it's still balanced perfectly, and with the teflon hubs they both grind nicely as well (:

azza192

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 05:09:09 pm »
My henrys is scratched worse than te poor man who tried to pick up my cat!

Twilite

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 08:31:44 pm »
So have any of you old school guys actually killed a diabolo from overuse yet, or is it true that they never die?
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Tom Derrick

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 09:12:45 pm »
I killed the crappy diabolo that I won at the BJC after my friends persuaded me to throw it as high as I could over concrete. The inevitable occurred, and the impact was enough to break one of the hubs, irrepairably.

CaptainSpirou

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 08:41:41 am »
Only thing I know is that using aluminum sticks with henry diabolos isn't good when the string gets caught during accelerations.  Before with wood the worst that would happen is the string snaps.  Instead the hub of the diabolo gets a major dent which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't interfere with stick grinds and mess up my sticks.

seán_

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 08:19:16 pm »
You might be wanting the replacement hubs then Cap'n.

I dont think I have badly damaged a diabolo yet.

Spink

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 02:05:21 pm »
Quote from: seán_

Lend me one then, i reckon i could even 'ave them fancy teflon ones with my ultra sloppy techinque :lol:  :wink:
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

CaptainSpirou

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 08:33:35 pm »
You might be wanting the replacement hubs then Cap'n.

Actually I plan on getting Mr. Babache.  The cups don't damage as easily and neither do the hubs.  Plus the string get caught more often on Henry than on Mr Babache.

Sean

• Administrator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 08:38:47 pm »
Quote from: CaptainSpirou
You might be wanting the replacement hubs then Cap'n...

Actually I plan on getting Mr. Babache.  The cups don't damage as easily and neither do the hubs.  Plus the string get caught more often on Henry than on Mr Babache.

Glad to see we're not making any sweeping generalizations based on supposed fact. :roll:

Have a read around the forum... maybe through the equipment sticky links to start with.

Deadboy40k

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 09:44:17 pm »
me not really other then my circuis being a lil dirty from playing it in a Church Auditorium (sort of, it was M.A.R.) its in fine shape, but my Spinabolo i descided to take for a walk when me and my friends were walking to 7 Eleven (praying atleast someone here has heard of one of these Miracle Convenience Stores) and throwing it up and it constantly smacking against the asphalt i didnt notice much difference in the play of it but the body was more scartched up then in one of those horrors like 13 ghosts with that one guy with the head in the cageand what he did to that fine ass spanish chick (like cat scratches but looked more painful)
"I'm a loner,
I'm a loser,
I'm a winner,
In my mind.

I'm a bad one,
I'm a good one,
I'm a sick one,
With a smile."

-Cold - Stupid Girl, Greatest Song Ever...